It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishing Expedition for UFO by Harvard University Professor

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Slashers are in space now. Nothing sacred to Hollywood but money. There seems to be nothing but horror movies, slashers, and superheroes.

I actually saw this movie, don't remember everything, though. Sort of like a psychological drama.

We need a good ufo movie or a USO movie. Some have to be in the works with the new ufo craze.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 09:58 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Is it any wonder it's not available information because of the stigma attached?

Stigma attached to what? Investigating the possibility that a chunk of matter from outer space might be part of an alien spacecraft? That's a bit paranoid, isn't it?

These days, only UFO fanatics think UFOs are some kind of wild crazy cult that everybody suppresses. The ghetto walls are erected from within.

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Is it any wonder it's not available information because of the stigma attached?

Stigma attached to what? Investigating the possibility that a chunk of matter from outer space might be part of an alien spacecraft? That's a bit paranoid, isn't it?

These days, only UFO fanatics think UFOs are some kind of wild crazy cult that everybody suppresses. The ghetto walls are erected from within.

Not from what Avi is touting, he mentions the possibility of alien probes in every interview I've watched and he also said he will take the hits from his colleagues to further his theory about alien probes, so taking hits = stigma exists.

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus1

originally posted by: quintessentone
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

Meh, I'm not into killing (slasher?) films these days there is enough negativity out there without adding more to my psyche.

Suit your yourself……its not a documentary style movie…..it’s a sci-fi movie with A-List Actors. My approach was to look at it from a UFOlogy perspective. In this way, I ignored the violence.

I wouldn’t put this at a slasher category….

đź‘˝

Roger Ebert puts it in the 'Is that all there is?' and watered-down version of "Solaris" categories. Well maybe one day I will watch it but only if my boredom level is interstellarly high.

No matter, if the story holds our attention. At first it does. As long as we're in suspense, we're involved, because we anticipate great things. But “Sphere” is one of those movies where the end titles should be Peggy Lee singing “Is That All There Is?” The more the plot reveals, the more we realize how little there is to reveal, until finally the movie disintegrates into flaccid scenes where the surviving characters sit around talking about their puzzlements.

The best one is an old science-fiction standby: Are humans mature enough to handle the secrets of the universe? Or are we but an infant species, whose fears and phobias prevent us from embracing the big picture? The last scenes are supposed to be a solemn confrontation of these questions, but they're punctuated by a special-effects shot so puny and underwhelming that the spell is broken.

www.rogerebert.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   

taking hits = stigma exists.

Within the scientific community? Certainly. The history of UFO 'research' itself has plenty to do with this; Ufologists as a class haven't exactly gained a reputation for scientific rigour, have they? The well has been poisoned.

But the general public, the military and even the political establishment (which takes its cue from the public) are much less sceptical. Among them, the stigma you speak of has largely given way to more or less cautious acceptance of the possibility -- only the possibility -- that there is something in the phenomenon worth taking seriously. In fact, the US military has lately been at some pains to encourage personnel who have experienced 'UAP' to come forward and report their encounters without fear or embarrassment.

So yes, for a scientific career it's still the kiss of death to go courting a reputation as a UFO-hunter. But for the rest of us these days, not so much. Unless you're a bit of a fanatic or a bore about it and get on people's nerves, most will think little of your interest in the subject. At worst, they'll rib you about it.

Even Loeb's career will survive, I think. He has a top-notch academuc record and he's doing this without institutional funding of any kind, so it's really nobody else's business: just a hobby project. How he fares going forward will depend a lot on how he presents his findings -- or lack thereof. He may surprise us yet.

And I still think it's James Cameron...

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Are you thinking James Cameron wants the rights to a movie if Avi finds something?

So, from Avi's most recent interview he stated multi-millionaires (four of them) have invested, but this article states that a billionaire is investing, but it does not explain when and for what are the investments to be used - could be for other expenses than the actual expedition.

His funders include William Linton, the founder of a biotech company who is also at the forefront of researching the potential uses of psilocybin (the drug found in “magic mushrooms”) to treat psychiatric issues, and billionaire Frank Laukien, the founder of a company that makes complex scientific instruments.

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on q00000029131America/Chicago1818America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Are you thinking James Cameron wants the rights to a movie if Avi finds something?

Is rhe Pope Catholic?

I approve. Even if they don't find anything the documentary will be hella.

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Good Luck….Avi !!

đź‘˝

posted on Jan, 21 2023 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Is rhe Pope Catholic?

I approve. Even if they don't find anything the documentary will be hella.

Indeed, at least Avi will give future UFO hunters a guidebook on how to launch an expedition even if it turns out to be unsuccessful.

posted on Jan, 21 2023 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Good Luck….Avi !!

đź‘˝

Really? Grappling hooks? lol

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 07:57 AM
link   

From Wikipedia.

Deep-ocean expedition to recover CNEOS 2014-01-08 fragments
Further information: CNEOS 2014-01-08

"Coordinating land or ocean expeditions to study the nature of interstellar meteors, like CNEOS 2014-01-08"[23]
The project is planning a deep-ocean expedition to retrieve small fragments of interstellar meteor CNEOS 2014-01-08, which "appears to be rare both in composition and in speed" and is not ruled out to be "extraterrestrial equipment",[42] using a magnetic sled on the seafloor of the impact region off the coast of Papua New Guinea.[43][44][45][46][47] The interstellar object was identified as an interstellar object by members of the Galileo Project Siraj and Loeb, before the project was established and confirmed by the United States Space Command in April 2022.[48][49][50]

In a September 2022 online post, Loeb announced project's planned expedition has been fully funded.[51]

So the launching of this Galileo Project is now scheduled for the Summer of 2023. I am getting impatient.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So the findings about the spherules Avi Loeb found are in:

What did the analysis reveal?

Early analysis shows that some spherules from the meteor path contain "extremely high abundances" of an unheard-of composition of heavy elements.

Researchers on the team say the composition of Beryllium, Lanthanum and Uranium, labeled as a “BeLaU” composition, does not match terrestrial alloys natural to Earth or fallout from nuclear explosions. Additionally, the composition is not found in magma oceans of Earth, nor the Moon, Mars or other natural meteorites in the solar system

Other elements are thought to have been lost by evaporation during IM1's passage through the Earth's atmosphere, researchers said, leading them to theorize that the spherules could originate in a magma ocean on an exo-planet with an iron core outside the solar system.

www.usatoday.com...

It's not aliens.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Linky not worky ……

đź‘˝

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Linky not worky ……

đź‘˝

Here's another.

www.independent.co.uk...

It was an interstellar meteor.

All this lack of evidence is making me more and more of a skeptic.
edit on q00000012831America/Chicago4444America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Early analysis shows that some spherules from the meteor path contain "extremely high abundances" of an unheard-of composition of heavy elements.

Researchers on the team say the composition of Beryllium, Lanthanum and Uranium, labeled as a “BeLaU” composition, does not match terrestrial alloys natural to Earth or fallout from nuclear explosions. Additionally, the composition is not found in magma oceans of Earth, nor the Moon, Mars or other natural meteorites in the solar system

Other elements are thought to have been lost by evaporation during IM1's passage through the Earth's atmosphere, researchers said, leading them to theorize that the spherules could originate in a magma ocean on an exo-planet with an iron core outside the solar system.

www.usatoday.com...

It's not aliens.

The above is fascinating. This is the first time in history we (mankind) may have found something created by intelligent inhabitants of another planet, millions of years ago and light-years distant.

Tremendous Potential for Expanding Our Minds!: www.the-sun.com...

For some reason, this story is more exciting (to me) than photos and videos of UFO's flying through our skies.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

www.usatoday.com...

It's not aliens.

The above is fascinating. This is the first time in history we (mankind) may have found something created by intelligent inhabitants of another planet, millions of years ago and light-years distant.

Tremendous Potential for Expanding Our Minds!: www.the-sun.com...

For some reason, this story is more exciting (to me) than photos and videos of UFO's flying through our skies.

Here is a more in-depth, more tantalizing, article:

avi-loeb.medium.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 06:41 PM
link   
You tell 'em Avi.

But long before all of that, I could have decided not to pursue this project because of the extreme pushback from “experts” on space rocks who were “sick about hearing Avi Loeb’s wild claims”, according to a New-York Times article and a New-York Times Magazine profile.

I wish these astronomers happiness and prosperity. Now that we discovered spherules with an extra-solar composition near IM1’s path, they better retract their published claim that the US Space Command overestimated IM1’s speed by a large factor and that IM1 was a stony meteorite from the solar system. We now know that IM1 was interstellar. Instead of rejecting the data, they would be better off revising their model.

The success of the expedition illustrates the value of taking risks in science despite all odds as an opportunity for discovering new knowledge. The discovered “BeLaU” spherules provide a wake-up call from afar, urging astronomers to be more curious and open-minded.

avi-loeb.medium.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Hmm interesting

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedPanda95
Hmm interesting

Now the spherules are allegedly coal ash or rather industrial waste as per the fellow in the article below.

Avi Loeb asks how can this fellow make that claim without access to the spherules.

University of Chicago research fellow Patricio Gallardo analyzed the chemical composition of coal ash, a waste product left behind by the combustion of coal in power plants and steam engines.

As a reference, Gallardo used a publicly available coal chemical database called COALQUAL.

His analysis, he said, found that iron, nickel, beryllium, lanthanum, and uranium concentrations reported by Loeb and colleagues in the metal spherules were "consistent with expectations from coal ash from a coal chemical composition database."

www.businessinsider.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join