It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix show 'The Sandman' normalises paedophile character in show with 70% LGBTQ+ characters.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Backagain

Which crickets are you referring to? Did you think that I couldn't answer a simple broadside/ shot over the bow against organised religion just because I was away from the thread for a couple of hours? Because that's ridiculous.

I'm a Christian, not a Catholic, in my denomination there is practically nothing at all in terms of ministers who are involved in dodgy stuff. Basically because we're not connected to a corrupt priesthood which has done things wrong for hundreds of years, causing many paedophiles to see the Catholic institution as a sort of sanctuary for their twisted perversions.

As an Anglican in broad terms, and an Evangelical according to a more narrow definition, there's barely a handful of cases around the world each year of ministers who are engaged in bad stuff. The overwhelming majority of ministers are perfectly decent people & always have been. Christians who are true to the Gospel would never involve themselves with a church that had any sort of `negative track record in that sense.

Jesus said that if anyone were to cause little children to stumble (by abuse) then it would be better for that person to have a millstone tied around his neck & be thrown into the sea, rather than face the judgement that awaited him for such a crime. Serious stuff, from the founder of Christianity. So, you see, a true Christian would never engage in such crimes. The people who do such things are only pretending to be Christians, and they are thankfully very few & far between in the Anglican denominations.

Catholicism has institutional failures in practice which have led to an epidemic of paedophile priests, as noted they are drawn to the priesthood as they see it as an opportunity to get close to children & feed their abusing addictions.

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 09:51 AM
link   
All the compaints people on ATS are making about theses shows and how this is all because of XYZ and the new LGBTQ+ push, don't seem to realise that all these shows are based on old graphic novels and have been in the pipe line for 20 years with a lot of the wait being down to cost and being able to create the CGI.
Wiki links...

The Sandman.
The Boys.
The Preacher.

Things like Spawn and Watchman were originally graphic novels and most of the recent Batman movies have been more influenced by graphic novels more than their comic book counterparts.

A lot of smaller publishers who released some of these novels were bought up by bigger companies which in turn have been bought up by big movie studios or had the rights to movies bought.
Because of the popularity of DC and especially the Marvel movies recently, these mega companies see big money in these projects, Sandman it'self being set in the "DC universe".
A lot of these graphic novels were aimed at adults and were award winning in their day because of being so different from the standard Superhero trope. Even so things like Watchmen and Batman: The Killing Joke still sets the standard for what a graphic novel is and are in the Superhero genre.

A lot of them were written as a refelection of society and it's problems, V for Vendetta being a prime example. Just how authors in the past had written books this new media was the same.
In Japan Manga, which is earlier and a very similar style is still very popular and also were a lot of anime comes from.

Manga

edit on 8-8-2022 by Kurokage because: spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 10:16 AM
link   
To be fair, it’s a brilliant show and most of us here like it. Sensational characters and flin the flag of us here who are out and proud, non-binary or gender fluid. Kids are growing up in a different world without the shackles of yesteryear. If you haven’t seen it yet, it’s a must-watch!

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Portraying a serial killer in a TV-MA show as a pedophile isn't normalizing the behavior, especially when said serial killer gets killed by the end.

It's in the same vein as showing dirtbag teenagers having sex and doing drugs before they're killed in a slasher film.

You show the negative side of these characters before they get their just desserts, it makes the viewer root for their death.

If the serial killer character was the main character made to garner sympathy and got away with his wrongdoings, THAT would be normalizing the behavior, which isn't the case here.

Also, The Boys and Preacher are solid programs.

This is some 1954 The Seduction of the Innocent level pearl clutching.

Seduction of the Innocent is a book by German-born American psychiatrist Fredric Wertham, published in 1954, that warned that comic books were a negative form of popular literature and a serious cause of juvenile delinquency. The book was taken seriously at the time in the United States, and was a minor bestseller that created alarm in American parents and galvanized them to campaign for censorship. At the same time, a U.S. Congressional inquiry was launched into the comic book industry. Subsequent to the publication of Seduction of the Innocent, the Comics Code Authority was voluntarily established by publishers to self-censor their titles. In the decades since the book's publication, Wertham's research has been disputed by scholars.

The Comics Code Authority for comics,
The Parental Advisory label for music,
The ESRB rating for video games,
Parental Guidelines ratings for TV.

All put into place by prudes who are afraid of American culture.

Don't like it? Don't consume it.

You can't stop comic books, you can't stop rock and roll and you can't stop violent tv and video games because they are as American as apple pie and baseball. And it all sells.

The market vs. censorship.

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The characters in question are villains, and serial killers at that. The trope of abusing children is pretty common for villains.

I haven’t watched the show I assume they are villians because of their other quality’s.

Do you feel the same ire towards Freddy Kruger or any other number of fantasy characters whom harm children on screen in obscene ways. I am genuinely curiously if you find it equally offensive if the media/movie/show is of a older time period or from a different platform if you would still take offence?

It certainly isn’t new anyway Steven king for example and many many other authors.

I don’t like it anymore then you do, but this isn’t new.
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Backagain

Gee, crickets! Damn hypocrisy!

Peds gravitate towards anything where they can have some access and control on kids. You pick it, teacher, councilor, social workers, scout-masters, coaches, medical personnel and dozens of others too to include all religious positions that they can put themselves into. The big deal with the Catholic church is they covered it up though not supporting it in any way. This turned into a sandal of about 300 priests over 60+ years. Today there are 400,000 Catholic priests, so looking at 60 years we are talking a very small amount that I bet is smaller than any other like position where there is access and control over kids.

I'm not religious, but this is far from just a Catholic church thing that you seem to focus 100% on here in your post.

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I think in the old comics, it is mentioned that the pedo hunting grounds are in disneyworld, they left that part out from the series, then added 20 trannies and gay characters on top of the existing ones.

Not a fan of the original comic.
Not a fan of this new series, i actually got angry at one point watching because the series is just ugly&disgusting.
Not a fan of Neil Gaiman.

Why i watched it?

No clue.

Do i regret it?

Yes.

Carry on.

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Why are you including P in LGBTQ? Look I get, and have spoken up about the damn LGBTQHVXC, Or whatever it hell it is now, but your P clearly stands for pedophile! I am standing up to that! Shut the Catholic Church down NOW! There is no other organization that has covered the rape of children up, both male and female children than the Catholic church! Also if you are Catholic Birth control is OFF limits!
Hope you're not a Catholic, because they have covered up rape, and PAID to let the priests CONTINUE TO WORK! You want to blame Gay people in general, yet that is not even nearly as bad as what the Catholic church has done!

Why wouldn't gay people get the blame? You think those priests in the Catholic church who are raping little boys are straight?

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Why even make gender and sexuality an argument here, using an exciting new TV show as an excuse.
Many of us on this forum don't believe in a label like gender, and sexuality is a spectrum with no right or wrong. Past mistaken ideals are not our future and our children lead the way.

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Peds gravitate towards anything where they can have some access and control on kids. You pick it, teacher, councilor, social workers, scout-masters, coaches, medical personnel and dozens of others too to include all religious positions that they can put themselves into.

I've read (over the years) after the Catholic church allowed girls to be alter servers -- they too were molested.

Yes, availability. There might be a gender preference -- but availability is primary.

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
🥱 this post should be made by someone who read the source material. Yes, Netflix embellished in some places, for instance, the crosssdressing flamboyant gay in FL was a bit much. Like, I don’t need to sit through a gay guys performance that has nothing to do with the story line. I completely disagree with the pedo side of things, as they make they guy out to be a John Wayne Gacy POS, or however you spell it, don’t really care since he was a murderer lol.

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So, your point? That just makes things worse. You always come into threads like these to troll and argue for LGBTQP+ rights. Did you even watch the show or is this just another temper tantrum?

a reply to: Annee

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Do you think that Disney could’ve paid them NOT to put that in? I could see it lol! Or would it just be illegal for them to put it in the show?

Show wasn’t absolutely terrible though. I’d give it a 3.5/5 stars. Without all the added Netflix BS it probably would’ve been a near perfect first season for a television production.

a reply to: XipeTotex

edit on 9-8-2022 by Narvasis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Its an 18 a reply to: marg6043

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Narvasis
So, your point? That just makes things worse. You always come into threads like these to troll and argue for LGBTQP+ rights. Did you even watch the show or is this just another temper tantrum?

I posted a simple statement -- to add additional facts to another post.

Argue?

A factual statement is just that. It has no emotion. It is not an argument. It's just a fact.

Your reaction though . . .

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Temper tantrum it is then.

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Narvasis
Do you think that Disney could’ve paid them NOT to put that in? I could see it lol! Or would it just be illegal for them to put it in the show?

Show wasn’t absolutely terrible though. I’d give it a 3.5/5 stars. Without all the added Netflix BS it probably would’ve been a near perfect first season for a television production.

a reply to: XipeTotex

Yeah, but if they would have mentioned the disney thing, it would have changed the tone, it would have been a warning, the way the show did it, it was just disgusting, with no lessons learned.

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

This show is filmed in the UK. Why you gotta hate on Californians?

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I've read (over the years) after the Catholic church allowed girls to be alter servers -- they too were molested.

Yes, availability. There might be a gender preference -- but availability is primary.

I guess you missed my point too. Seems people want to focus on the Catholic church and there is a lot more than just them and at a much higher rate. Maybe its just a sensitized topic to say Catholic church, but then a good number of Muslin areas they believe that Thursdays is a day it is OK to find a willing boy, and that there is not someone hiding their little secret within a community where they can be a pred.

edit on 9-8-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join