It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasons - What can you share?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrabs3000
Just correcting the erroneous information that I see and sharing the facts that I know.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gkskg
If you don't mind, I have a question for any Freemasons reading this thread.

What was it that caused you to join the Masons in the first place?

After some deep multi-disciplined research into Freemasonry, I did not immediately petition a Lodge for membership in my Jurisdiction; first, I decided to take a three-year University degree in Philosophy, particularly because it offered a 2nd-year mandatory, 6-month course in 'Critical Thinking and Argumentation'. Before asking to join the alleged oldest and greatest Fraternity in human history, I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing.

Deciding to join a Lodge after having thus educated myself was as simple as understanding a logical syllogism.

posted on May, 9 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: CanadianMason

Nice, my background is in philosophy as well. I grew up in a fairly religious household (which of course turned me off to religion). I started reading and researching the Masons in my thirties once I had some personal experiences that fell outside of the scope of institutionalized religion and education.

posted on May, 13 2022 @ 07:06 AM
link   
staff edit
edit on Fri May 13 2022 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Madrusa

To be fair, every freemason i know, is also a protestant. I realise that doesn't prove anything, just adding my observation. Certainly in Scotland the vast majority of masons were raised protestant, not that i see a problem with that considering i was also raised this way.
edit on 15/5/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Hi Grenade. Most Freemasons I know, too, are members of one or another Protestant church. One of my Lodge Brethren is actually a Presbyterian Minister, and is currently serving as our District Deputy Grand Master. I also have a few Muslim and Jewish Brethren who attend my Lodge. As far as I know, I think I'm one of perhaps two Brethren in my Lodge who identify as Roman Catholic. As Freemasons we do not discuss our religious or political beliefs in open Lodge due to their potentially divisive nature. Instead, we are sworn to the practice of Tolerance, which has worked very well for us over the centuries; in fact, Tolerance is sorely lacking in the world right now, eh?

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hello everyone...

So I attended a wedding this past weekend, it was held at a Masonic Lodge. I was surprised at that in itself, don't know why, but figured the Lodges were for meetings & ceremonies only.

Anyway, it was interesting, looking around. Some really nice things from the 1800's in cases, books, etc. The "checker board" floor also surprised me, it was all carpet. For some reason, I thought those would we tile.

Another interesting thing was the yellow / gold "G" hanging from the ceiling. Looked as though it could light up.

My wife commented on the "stadium seating" on each side of the room and how there was a single chair right in the middle of those "stadium seats".

As we were leaving that room to go to the reception, she also commented on the "throne" chair at the back of the room, I told her it was for sacrifices, not to worry... lol.

Anyway, just some interesting observations, thought I'd share.
edit on 12-7-2022 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: elevatedone
Hello everyone...

So I attended a wedding this past weekend, it was held at a Masonic Lodge. I was surprised at that in itself, don't know why, but figured the Lodges were for meetings & ceremonies only.

Most lodges rent out their halls for extra income. We are booked most weekends when we don't have a Masonic event.

Anyway, it was interesting, looking around. Some really nice things from the 1800's in cases, books, etc. The "checker board" floor also surprised me, it was all carpet. For some reason, I thought those would we tile.

Some are and some aren't. I've even seen portable flooring that's used exclusively for Masonic meetings.

Another interesting thing was the yellow / gold "G" hanging from the ceiling. Looked as though it could light up.

It typically does, it's turned on at a specific point in the opening ritual.

My wife commented on the "stadium seating" on each side of the room and how there was a single chair right in the middle of those "stadium seats".

We have that as well, the single chairs are for the Junior and Senior Wardens in the South and West respectively with the one in the North left open.

As we were leaving that room to go to the reception, she also commented on the "throne" chair at the back of the room, I told her it was for sacrifices, not to worry... lol.

That's the Master's chair and is usually flanked by chairs on either side for visiting District or Grand Staff.

edit on 12-7-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CanadianMason

Hi Grenade. Most Freemasons I know, too, are members of one or another Protestant church. One of my Lodge Brethren is actually a Presbyterian Minister, and is currently serving as our District Deputy Grand Master. I also have a few Muslim and Jewish Brethren who attend my Lodge. As far as I know, I think I'm one of perhaps two Brethren in my Lodge who identify as Roman Catholic. As Freemasons we do not discuss our religious or political beliefs in open Lodge due to their potentially divisive nature. Instead, we are sworn to the practice of Tolerance, which has worked very well for us over the centuries; in fact, Tolerance is sorely lacking in the world right now, eh?

I am a confirmed Catholic. I haven't gone directly to ask, but I assume I'm no longer welcome to accept communion based on my masonic affiliation. Do you have any experience with that end of things?

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

We've got a bunch of MasoKnights and they still attend church regularly so I guess it depends on how desperate the local parish is for sinners.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Some are and some aren't. I've even seen portable flooring that's used exclusively for Masonic meetings.

we have a rug that's used for the 2nd degree lecture, is that common in all lodges, or just some? I never bothered to ask on that topic, and figured now is a good time, maybe someone here knows.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   

We have a set of interlocking floor boards and I've seen the carpet used in other lodges. One in our district has an actual staircase which is pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:34 AM
link   

it's my favorite lecture. The one that doesn't make the candidate fall asleep. I'd like to see one with real steps and a porch. And not have to drag columns around grunting.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 09:12 AM
link   

The Grand Lodges of New York, Philadelphia and Boston all have actual lodge rooms set up just for this Degree. Free tours if you are not a profane.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The Grand Lodges of New York, Philadelphia and Boston all have actual lodge rooms set up just for this Degree. Free tours if you are not a profane.

Free tours if you are not a "profane" oh the Irony...

posted on Aug, 20 2022 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AgoraPHX
How is that ironic?

posted on Aug, 23 2022 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

Great questions, Grenade.

If you don't mind, can I add one of my own?

I understand there is an initiation ritual for new masons, but what happens in the case an existing mason wants to leave? Is there an expulsive ritual, too, and is the person constrained by a sort of nda?

Or is it more like Hotel California?

link   

originally posted by: network dude

it's my favorite lecture. The one that doesn't make the candidate fall asleep. I'd like to see one with real steps and a porch. And not have to drag columns around grunting.

link   

edit on Tue Aug 23 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join