It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent Order of Oddfellows

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I was over at my mom's today and we got to talking. I knew before that she had mentioned on her side that my great-great grandfather was a mason. Well come to find out he wasn't technically in the Masons but the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Has anyone ever heard of this faction before? I did do a little light reading before posting here and it seems to be that the factions are similar. I plan to look more into it but I thought I'd throw it out here to ATS because we have a lot of great minds here and if they could help point me in the right direction that would be awesome. I do love that we still have this document and it's so well preserved. I find the symbols and symbology interesting. From the typical all seeing eye to the smaller glyphs of the snake. I'm actually proud to have this as an heirloom It's a piece of family history and looking forward to learning more about it. I appreciate any insight any fellow ATS'ers have to offer!

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Katatonik

Most of them are Masons if I understand correctly .

It's just a Circle with in the Masonic Circle , Not much I can say about them really .

If your wondering what direction to look try the 'Order of the Eastern Star' , If I assume correctly that your a female.
edit on 9-4-2022 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

You assume correctly, that's me in my avatar. I appreciate the feedback, I will look into it. Thank you!

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 09:02 PM
link   
From my understanding the Odd Fellows and Masons are completely separate organizations.

This is a list of several of the more popular organizations. en.m.wikipedia.org...

And this is about the Odd Fellows.en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 4 9 2022 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

From my understanding the Odd Fellows and Masons are completely separate organizations.

I know for a fact that is not true .

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The Oddfellows is not a part of Freemasonry.

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 11:18 PM
link   
They are

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I had an uncle who was an Oddfellow.

As far as I know -- it's a men's charity group.

And the name Oddfellow came about because charities were run by women -- and it was said to be Odd for men to run a charity.

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I know nothing close about the Oddfellows but just that they do charitable works. I was asked to join a lodge about 20 years ago in my town but I couldn't commit the time so I refused.
In a town near me there is a pub called the Oddfellows arms where they used to meet regularly.

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow
It's just a Circle with in the Masonic Circle

That is incorrect, they have no relation.

edit on 10-4-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I appreciate everyones input thus far. Thank you all

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It's just a Circle with in the Masonic Circle

That is incorrect, they have no relation.

Mate in my Lodge and the Lodges in my district where I live , Yes they do .

I have sat and talked to people about it face to face, now maybe other places they have no relation but in my experience they do .

It's not unlike the ' Jesters ' they are loosely connected to Freemasonry through the Shiners but they are connected.

p.s. Everything I'm saying is knowledge available on the Internet , so I'm not breaching any confidences.
edit on 10-4-2022 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 05:13 AM
link   

In the United States they are wholly and completely unrelated, they are two fully independent organizations.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Katatonik

Just another secretive fraternity set up to look out for one another and influence society under the guise of charity.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

In the United States they are wholly and completely unrelated, they are two fully independent organizations.

Mate you are not the King of All things Free Mason , The two organizations were founded separately yes .

But they are intertwined in my experience and in my area , One can lead to the other and Visa Versa .
edit on 11-4-2022 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Mate you are not the King of All things Free Mason...

Did I say I was? I understand how it functions here in the United States, I served multiple years on the staff of the Grand Lodge for New Jersey.

The two organizations were founded separately yes .

And they never merged which means they are separate.

But they are intertwined in my experience and in my area , One can lead to the other and Visa Versa .

We have members in my Lodge who are in the Knights of Columbus, it doesn't mean the two groups are related.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

We have members in my Lodge who are in the Knights of Columbus, it doesn't mean the two groups are related

And We have members in my Lodge who are Odd Fellows , the two are linked .

I'm not just some guy who says things for no reason mate I've had conversations with people who told me the process and that's all I'm going to say about that .

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   

And We have members in my Lodge who are Odd Fellows , the two are linked .

'Linked' how? They don't have the same government, Constitution or rituals. The Grand Master of Masons for my state has zero authority with Odd Fellows in New Jersey. None. And vice versa. I can't just saunter into a Odd Fellows meeting, flash my blue card and be let in. I'd have to petition and join them. Plus they allow women in many jurisdictions which would make them clandestine lodges in the United States and grounds for immediate expulsion for holding conversation with them if they were in fact a part of Masonic organization.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

'Linked' how? They don't have the same government, Constitution or rituals. The Grand Master of Masons for my state has zero authority with Odd Fellows in New Jersey. None. And vice versa.

Yes mate they are separate in that manner they do not fall under the same leadership, I get what your saying .

I can't just saunter into a Odd Fellows meeting, flash my blue card and be let in. I'd have to petition and join them. Plus they allow women in many jurisdictions which would make them clandestine lodges in the United States and grounds for immediate expulsion for holding conversation with them if they were in fact a part of Masonic organization.

Ok It seems things work way differently where your from , Mate The Eastern Star is a Female / Male group are you going to tell me they are not Masonic ? Just because you are a Mason from a Blue Lodge does not mean you can 'Saunter' into any group affiliated with Free Masons you know that ,but that in turn does not mean the groups are not linked .
edit on 11-4-2022 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Ok It seems things work way differently where your from , Mate The Eastern Star is a Female / Male group are you going to tell me they are not Masonic ?

They are, as they are under the jurisdiction of the Grand Master of Masons and are chartered by the respective Grand Lodge of that State. The Odd Fellows issue their own charters.

Just because you are a Mason from a Blue Lodge does not mean you can 'Saunter' into any group affiliated with Free Masons you know that ,but that in turn does not mean the groups are not linked .

Actually, it does. When I was the lodge Master I had the authority to attend ANY meeting of the Eastern Star and other subordinate groups without requesting permission. Additionally all Master Masons can attend these meetings without being a member and all of these groups require at least one Master Mason to be present to conduct business.

edit on 11-4-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join