It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer causing substance found in spinach sold nationwide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Cadmium in our spinach? It's likely reached the point where I am going to start running tests on everything before I, my wife, or our pets eat it.

I apologize for the miniscule amount of my own content that I put into this thread. I don't really have anything else to say other than: This kind of stuff is getting well beyond being frakking ridiculous.

Cance r causing substance found in spinach sold nationwide

Their experts tested spinach sold by major companies including Target, Trader Joe's, Safeway, and others, and found cadmium present in dangerous levels in many spinach products.

cadmium can, among other issues, cause "development toxicity" (hampering proper neurological development of children), "male reproductive toxicity," cancer, and other maladies as well.

OEHHA considers the "Maximum Allowable Dose Level" of orally ingested cadmium to be just 4.1 micrograms per day. However, according to the As You Sow report, spinach from many of the brands inspected contained more than double that amount in a single serving. And the worst offenders had more than 25 times that figure in a single serving–one sample yielded 107.1 micrograms of the heavy metal in the portion tested, a serving that may well have been sold to the public were it not acquired for testing.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

That sucks. But in the back of my head i have always known we should not get our foods from supermarkets. It is an abomination, we are animals, not robots.

Just sick, everything humans do is sick and leads to nowhere.

Everything was a mistake and everything we did made it worse.

Rant over.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

It's not just in the spinach... It's in the soil.. sand now the water systems globally.

The ones from a few weeks ago
www.consumerreports.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Shocking that this is not shocking.

The original report is here: www.asyousow.org...

So, this is known for >30 years...

The problem of cadmium in spinach is well-documented (e.g. FDA Total Diet Study from 1991-2017; Wolnik et al (1985)) yet the majority of the spinach industry has failed to take effective steps to reduce consumers’ exposure to this harmful metal

The As You Sow organization has tested a range of spinach products over the past three years!

And this is not just spinach itself, it affects all products with spinach as well.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Infinitis

Oh is this one of those circumstances where it leads to the conclusion that everything is effed? As an aside I do notice a correlation between "healthy" solutions, technology, and some element winding up being poisonous.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:42 PM
link   
On the other hand, spinach should be consumed in moderation only anyways, not more than once a week due to its very high content in oxalic acid.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

But in the back of my head i have always known we should not get our foods from supermarkets.

I'm considering clearing out some trees, testing the soil, and making my wife get out there and grow our own veggies. Of course, I will get out there and help her, too. It looks like I won't be having too much free time on my hands when I quit working at the end of the year.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex
a reply to: Infinitis
a reply to: Torlin

Stuff that shouldn't be in our food has been turning up for a long time. I think that I was just a little surprised by the concentrations found in some samples of spinach.

edit on 1 12 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheReaversChain

Oh is this one of those circumstances where it leads to the conclusion that everything is effed? As an aside I do notice a correlation between "healthy" solutions, technology, and some element winding up being poisonous.

For me, it says that there is not enough being done to make sure that healthy stuff stays healthy and there is also very little oversight. 

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Torlin

On the other hand, spinach should be consumed in moderation only anyways, not more than once a week due to its very high content in oxalic acid.

You're right. Just about everything should be eaten or used in moderation.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 04:59 PM
link   

My mom and dad both come from agricultural backgrounds.

My mom always told me to be very careful with spinach, to always wear gloves when planting as it is poisonous.

There are many foods with a similar flavor profile that are probably a lot safer to eat.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Agriculture had been in my family for generations. They owned a lot of land in Virginia, what would later become West Virginia, and western Maryland. One of my great-grandfathers was well known for getting stuff to grow that shouldn't have easily grown in the Appalachians. He had beautiful, decorative gardens around his home. He passed some years before my great-grandmother, and after she died, we sold that house to someone who bought it just for the gardens, and then everything died in short order. Unfortunately, my grandparents and parents chose careers outside of agriculture, and all of the knowledge has been lost to us.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   

It's a conspiracy site so...

I have long thought, just like the asbestos tainted talcum powder..

Big companies add toxic materials in small amounts to food grade consumables and deodorant/ skin/hair care products because it's easier to sell these toxic wastes to willing bio filters , (cheaper) then to actually dispose of it in a safe manner or not create them at all..

😇

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

Agriculture had been in my family for generations. They owned a lot of land in Virginia, what would later become West Virginia, and western Maryland. One of my great-grandfathers was well known for getting stuff to grow that shouldn't have easily grown in the Appalachians. He had beautiful, decorative gardens around his home. He passed some years before my great-grandmother, and after she died, we sold that house to someone who bought it just for the gardens, and then everything died in short order. Unfortunately, my grandparents and parents chose careers outside of agriculture, and all of the knowledge has been lost to us.

I'm that person. I don't think it is all knowledge, I think there are people that are born with a green thumb.
I've had petunias growing outside in the middle of winter, in Wisconsin!!

All organic!

edit on 1-12-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Big companies add toxic materials in small amounts to food grade consumables and deodorant/ skin/hair care products because it's easier to sell these toxic wastes to willing bio filters , (cheaper) then to actually dispose of it in a safe manner or not create them at all..

And since I'm a little of a conspiracy theorist, I'm going to say that it seems like you might be onto something.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Lovely strawberries and tomatoes you have there!

I'm ashamed to admit that I did not inherit the green thumb. I can kill plants just by touching them.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Why couldn't it be KALE?

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   
With food I always say you don't want to know

Not surprising in the least plants have very little buffer from soil to table and most things are grown in trash to keep cost down

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 06:14 PM
link   
They are going to poison us all one way or another it seems.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

My mom and dad both come from agricultural backgrounds.

My mom always told me to be very careful with spinach, to always wear gloves when planting as it is poisonous.

There are many foods with a similar flavor profile that are probably a lot safer to eat.

I had no idea and a whole life time never knew this!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join