It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have 20 grand cash to buy a vehicle guide me ats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The title of the thread is pretty self explanatory

I have 20 grand for a vehicle. I don’t really like cars. I like to sit higher up. So an suv or truck.

The last thread I posted showed my jeep which in now UA.

I live in Raleigh, NC. I know different US states have different price points.

All suggestions are welcome.

Vroom vroom

edit on 1-3-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: For the love of paella

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Kia Sorento if you can get one for 20K new. If you don't give a crap about gas mileage, get a used truck.
edit on 1-3-2021 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Used Subaru Outback or Crosstrek

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Subaru is a great idea

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   

A 3-4 year old Jeep Renegade in good shape.

If you like to live a bit on the wild side, I would suggest the Trailhawk trim level.

I change vehicles frequently, have been all over the spectrum as far as foreign and domestic.

I have rarely come across a little SUV that packs so much bang for the buck.

The Renegade is essentially a re-badged Fiat, but it is SO much more then that.

When I first purchased the 2016 model, the first thing I did was drive it up a 5 rated trail to the top of a mountain here.

A few months later I drove it from Montana to Texas and back.

Both on and off road is is a wonderful drive with good gas mileage and enough power to pass with ease.

I currently own a 1991 Jeep (my REAL trail rig), a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a tricked out 2019 F350 dually, a few older muscle cars, a 2012 Honda Accord, a 2015 Tacoma and a 2014 Subaru Forester.

A year ago at this time, I owned through my business 11 different trucks as well, from 1 ton work vehicles to daily driver trucks in Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota flavors.

The Renegade became my favorite daily driver of all of them.

So just my 2 cents...

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

My ex gf just bought a 2020 jeep Cherokee. It’s an ok vehicle.

The electronics and interface suuuuuck tho

I know that jeep merged with fiat or whatever garbage merger happened. I know that they use the fiat “carriage” (dont know the name) on the compass (which sux).

I feel to stay away from jeep now

But saying that. I know nothing about the renegade
edit on 1-3-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have a 2000 Lexus LX470, basically a more luxury version of the same year Toyota Landcruiser. I got it with 200K miles two years ago. Ive put 60K on it since then and havent had to do a single thing to it except brakes and tires and I drive it hard. One of the best vehicles ever made.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal

I understand that the Engine is probably amazing but thats a lot of mileage. I think I need a newer model

For the soul

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Get a diesel with a stick. It will last for a long time and replacing the tranny is no problemo.

Lucky you live in NC though. The population density is good, the market for used cars is good, and little snow, so the cars should be pretty free of rust unless they are close to the beach, and even then it's not not likely to be an issue.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Classed as a SUV
High Clearance from ground, great 4WD, excellent storage in back with seats down, heated seats, warms up fast in the winter so not much snow scraping. Can sit out all winter without starting drama's. No problems driving in rain or snow/ice in 4wd. Fog lights make it easy to spot deer.
Super Zippy, has very good acceleration.

Minus's,
Cant get remote starter unless dealer install due to it sucking the battery dry.
Handles carrying loads OK, but if over loaded it's sluggish going up steep hills.
The fabric seats are butt ugly. Camo-seat covers fixed it.

They come with a ridiculous version that has a massive sound system in cargo area, total waste, but some idiot sales people push that version. Ignore them. The drive is a little stiff, but not noticable after awhile. Easy to get in & out of even for Seniors. Older models are just as good as new ones.

www.caranddriver.com...
edit on 1-3-2021 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

My ex gf just bought a 2020 jeep Cherokee. It’s an ok vehicle.

The electronics and interface suuuuuck tho

I know that jeep merged with fiat or whatever garbage merger happened. I know that they use the fiat “carriage” (dont know the name) on the compass (which sux).

I feel to stay away from jeep now

But saying that. I know nothing about the renegade

Newer Jeep Cherokees absolutely suck.

As does the Compass.

Their newer Rubicon/Truck crossover/whatever is an abomination.

The Renegade is different.

It is like comparing the Chevy Spark to the Chevy Corvette.

And I will leave it at that...

You asked my opinion and besides someone being a fleet manager on ATS chiming in, I am going to have the most experience on what you are asking.

~shrug~

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I understand. I appreciate your feedback immensely. This is how I process. I tell you my dumb feeling than throw my feelings out and get the situation done.

I just don’t know anything about vehicles.

All your feedback will be reviewed and thought about

edit on 1-3-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Just be sure to avoid the 3.7L.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Subaru Forester / Outback. My mate has an S-Edition with chip, tune, exhaust and larger Prowest intercooler, 410kw - absolute weapon on the road and brilliant for light-moderate offroad.

HOWEVER, being an avid car enthuist, I would suggest investing in an original Ford Bronco, because they are quickly becoming collector cars, are built tough, after market is flourishing and you might just scrape in with a half decent one for the coin you are investing.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My philosophy is to buy a used car in good basic condition, and put some money into it. For instance, my wife and I bought a slightly rough Volvo for $1200. We put brake shoes, axles, plugs, battery, filters and new oil into it, and it runs great - plus, it gets way more miles per gallon than the Jaguar we had owned. Consider looking for a good car with a bad engine.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

So something like this maybe

Subaru

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Just be sure to avoid the 3.7L.

Ah yes... the PROMAR fiasco.

It wasn't really an engine as much as it was a huge gaping money hole under your hood.

I was working for a Jeep/Dodge dealership when that piece of crap first came out.

Now that I think about it, that is about when I gave up being a mechanic...

Probably a coincidence.

edit on 1-3-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:40 PM
link   

So something like this maybe

Subaru

NOPE - gotta be a turbo bro, plenty of Forester turbos (XT), but the S-Edition is a special build. The Subaru turbo range across all their platforms are the powerhouses (just remember that the timing belt has to be done EVERY 100,000kms) - so be weary of the KM's on the clock if you go for a turbo and make sure you get proof of the last belt change.

FORESTER S-Edition

www.carsales.com.au...

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I have 20 grand. 23 at most

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I have 20 grand. 23 at most

He's trying to put you into a sports/tuner SUV kinda mix.

The nice part about all of this is that we have these things called car dealerships.

So narrow down your top 5-10 on ATS and then go drive them all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join