It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

William Barr: House votes to hold US Attorney General in contempt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The House Judiciary Committee has voted to hold Barr in contempt.
Yahoo News

The House Judiciary Committee has voted to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt of Congress for ignoring a subpoena to provide the Special Counsel’s full report on Russian election interference and all of its underlying evidence. Mr Barr defied the subpoena after the Department of Justice claimed there was no basis for the request and threatened to urge Donald Trump to invoke executive privilege over the report in a scathing letter sent to Congress. Holding the attorney general in contempt lays the foundation for Congress to file a civil lawsuit, as well as a criminal referral to be sent to the US attorney’s office in Washington. However, the courts could simply order Congress and the Justice Department to solve the inter-branch dispute amongst themselves, constitutional law experts have told The Independent.

The Democrats are getting serious now.
Now we have to wait to see what happens next.
The DOJ has asked POTUS to claim executive privilege.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy
And Trump has claimed executive privilege, per DOJ request.
FOX News

President Trump asserted executive privilege on Wednesday in a bid to protect Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s unredacted report and underlying documents from subpoena by the House Judiciary Committee. The president’s move came after the Justice Department, late Tuesday night, requested that the House Judiciary Committee postpone a scheduled vote on to hold Attorney General Bill Barr in contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena to provide the Mueller files to the panel. The Justice Department warned that if the committee did not postpone the vote, the attorney general would recommend that Trump claim executive privilege over the materials.

+11 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The lefties are just peeing themselves trying to see who made THE BLACKOUT LIST

D5 AVALANCHE BABY

+15 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Most of them will crap their pants when they find out who made that list!

+7 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Most of them will crap their pants when they find out who made that list!

with the age of some of them that is probably a normal occurrence,

I wonder if some of those redactions are from what was sent to the IG?

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I wonder if some of those redactions are from what was sent to the IG?

I believe that would be a good guess.

+28 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Nadler could have seen that whole page unredacted, but chose not to. He could have seen everything in the mueller report except the grand jury stuff. The offer was for him and 5 other Democrats to do so. Why did they refuse to look?

I certainly would have given them more credit if they actually did view it and then, began the process of getting the full report released. It would make sense. This just doesn't. Why do they keep putting the cart before the horse all the time? It is illogical and makes no sense.

+11 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Nadler could have seen that whole page unredacted, but chose not to. He could have seen everything in the mueller report except the grand jury stuff. The offer was for him and 5 other Democrats to do so. Why did they refuse to look?

I certainly would have given them more credit if they actually did view it and then, began the process of getting the full report released. It would make sense. This just doesn't. Why do they keep putting the cart before the horse all the time? It is illogical and makes no sense.

They are aware that they can't see the Grand Jury info.... by law.
They are pushing it to make it look like Barr is hiding something. Their willing accomplices in the media report it to make it look like Barr is hiding something.
If there was anything bad for Trump in the redacted info, the Dems would have leaked it already.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
What are the chances that most Americans really want a King in stead of a president. This Imperial Presidency problem to me seems to come from both the left and the right. Exectutive priviledge is a slippery slope on both sides and it seems that it is ok with too many of us but only if it is ''our'' guy who is claiming it. ''Our king'' or ''your king''.

This turning of the presidency into a celebrity monarch has been growing for some time now, it's roots going back further than I like to consider. I have memories of potus after potus getting push back from the '' other side'' for grasping too much power into the hands of the chief executive, so much so that the real concern would be just when that balance would be tipped between the White House and the Congress.

Each ensuing power grab inched us closer and closer. If, and I say ''if'' we have not reached that tipping point with Trump, then we should all be very watchful of what powers he will leave in the hands of the next president, or should I say ''Dictator''.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

They are aware that they can't see the Grand Jury info.... by law.
They are pushing it to make it look like Barr is hiding something. Their willing accomplices in the media report it to make it look like Barr is hiding something.
If there was anything bad for Trump in the redacted info, the Dems would have leaked it already.

My point was that last I knew only 3 Republicans, Graham, Collins, McConnell had actually took advantage of the DOJ offer and went and viewed the more unredacted report completely. Graham's take that none of it had any bearing on Barr's conclusions.

None of the Dems even attempted to see it. That fact makes it seem more likely that they really don't want to see it or that they already know what is in the report.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

And Trump has claimed executive privilege, per DOJ request.
FOX News

President Trump asserted executive privilege on Wednesday in a bid to protect Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s unredacted report and underlying documents from subpoena by the House Judiciary Committee. The president’s move came after the Justice Department, late Tuesday night, requested that the House Judiciary Committee postpone a scheduled vote on to hold Attorney General Bill Barr in contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena to provide the Mueller files to the panel. The Justice Department warned that if the committee did not postpone the vote, the attorney general would recommend that Trump claim executive privilege over the materials.

That's pretty weak, not to mention desperate!

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

The lefties are just peeing themselves trying to see who made THE BLACKOUT LIST

D5 AVALANCHE BABY

D5 chess, one might say? I mean... 5D?

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

My point was that last I knew only 3 Republicans, Graham, Collins, McConnell had actually took advantage of the DOJ offer and went and viewed the more unredacted report completely. Graham's take that none of it had any bearing on Barr's conclusions.

And, they are all forbidden to comment on or share any of what they read with anyone, regardless of how damning it was or wasn't.

+22 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Actually, it appears in this circumstance it is the House committee who seems to have been attempting a power grab. Asking the Attorney General to break the law and threatening him when he refused. That is certainly not checks and balances. That is subversion of oath and law.

Trump using executive priviledge in this case is the checks and balance.

+3 more 
posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I have not seen this much diarrhea on television since the time I accidently dropped a dirty diaper on our tv.

The level of insipid stupidity puts to shame a roomful of lobotomized monkeys flinging poo and screeching at each other.

My only regret is that there is not a giant meteor heading towards DC at this very moment.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Pelosi claimed earlier this week that Trump is egging the Dems to start impeachment proceedings, ostensibly because he knows it will fail and make them look bad once again.

I feel like this Dem move was egging Trump to exert executive privilege for no other reason than they can claim he's hiding something, and make him look bad.

They all know that the grand jury stuff can't be revealed, but they also know their rabid supporters are to dumb to know or care.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
When is Bob Mueller testifying? Nadler must have found out something..and changed his mind.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Disgusting.
Why should anyone be held in contempt for ignoring a subpoena , sheer madness.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

It's the millions of pages of Mueller-gathered evidence that Democrats want. Documents, Testimonies, Wiretaps, Grand Jury materials, criminal referrals, the Nude pictures Mueller confiscated...etc.

They want to redo the entire investigation, because in their words, "Mueller Didn't do a through job".

As soon as the DOJ would have handed over these items, Nadler would have had Barr impeached for violating federal laws.

Democrats are really not good at all with PLANNING and STRATEGIZING.

edit on 5/8/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Disgusting.
Why should anyone be held in contempt for ignoring a subpoena , sheer madness.

DOJ position was that the committee had no real legislative purpose for requesting the report.... then there is that pesky law that says no release of grand jury information.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join