It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitler's Birthplace to be Torn Down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

BBC is running with the title:

Hitler house in Austria to be demolished after long row

I've heard before on the BBC that Hitler's birthplace has been causing a problem for the Austrian authorities with Neo-Nazis's visiting it and the owner refusing to do anything with it as per usage, renovation or selling and is simply letting it sit empty.

Interior Minister Wolfgang Sobotka said a committee of experts had decided that the house should be demolished, reported Austrian newspaper Die Presse. A new building put in its place will be used for administrative or for charitable purposes

An interior ministry spokesman told AFP a legal amendment proposed earlier this year which would allow them to seize the property was still "under way", meaning parliament has yet to approve the demolition.

As terrible as history might be, it is important to show it bare naked and truthful - Hitler was born in a sleepy Austrian town and wasn't summoned from the pits of hell to pose a menace to humanity. The truth must be preserved and told and I don't think it does the historical record any good for this town to try and distance itself from Hitler.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Maybe it would be best to tear the place down, if it has become a shrine for Neo Nazis.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DodgyDawg

As terrible as history might be, it is important to show it bare naked and truthful - Hitler was born in a sleepy Austrian town and wasn't summoned from the pits of hell to pose a menace to humanity. The truth must be preserved and told and I don't think it does the historical record any good for this town to try and distance itself from Hitler.

Yeah but the History record is already record. It's not going to just disappear from the face of the earth because the house got torn down. I'm all for restoration and preservation of historic landmarks, But nothing lasts forever.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of government stealing a guys house.

I'm more surprised nothing was done with it however. Think of the gift shop money that has been missed for so long.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DodgyDawg

As terrible as history might be, it is important to show it bare naked and truthful

Absolutely.
History shouldn't be sanitised.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Errrrr... Isn't that kind of just shifting the problem down the road?

If the 'neo nazis' are causing such a problem, shouldn't that be dealt with first?

Doesn't seem right to tear down the building. It'll still be his birthplace, regardless.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

Yes, it will still be his birthplace and this will be documented, but the building will be gone.

They tore down 25 Cromwell Road in Gloucester a couple of years after Fred and Rose West were arrested. Why? Because they didn't want it becoming a shrine to ghoulish people.

I am not suggesting we sanitise history, well no more than the victors have us believe, but it's probably easier to tear it down, especially if it is derelict anyway.

edit on 17/10/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I don't like the idea of government stealing a guys house.

It begins and ends with this (although the article said a woman owns the house).

What right does a government, any government have to force someone to sell their physical property?

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

Well then, they need to devote some tax payer money for round-the-clock guards to arrest anyone who shouldn't be there. Might as well maintain the negativity surrounding the place - for history's sake and all.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

if i got my way - it would be a shop selling jewish religious books

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

You mean police? Sure, if they're committing crimes.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

the provlem with demolistion is - that the nazi cockwombles will still treat the lat // log co-orditates as a " shrine " to thier idiocy

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Exactly what I am thinking - it can still be revered even if the building is torn down.

It was previously a day care / activity centre for disabled people which is pretty ironic.

Another thing to consider is the fact that this is a 17th century building in a town which is mainly comprised of buildings of the like. Nobody in their right mind would allow this building to be taken down for any other reason considering how long it has stood on the site and how it fits in the town.
edit on 17102016 by DodgyDawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I'd actually be okay with it being a holocaust museum to honor the Jews that were killed. If it's going to be a shrine, then let it be a shrine to Jews, not to Hitler.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well, no loss. Hitler is not scrubbed from history, but if his old house is a magnet for twats then it's no loss really.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I don't think they should tear it down, but if they are, they should salt the earth and leave a marker in it's place.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I'd actually be okay with it being a holocaust museum to honor the Jews that were killed. If it's going to be a shrine, then let it be a shrine to Jews, not to Hitler.

What about the gipsys ? the gays? the mentally ill? the democrats? the freemasons? the Negroes?

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Trying to erase the fact that a man was born who brought upon a global conflict and directed the slaughter of countless millions will not change the fact that it happened.

Germany is so busy trying to forget its stain on history that even the Nuremburg trials are nothing but a witch hunt now going after cooks, and keepers and lowly temp guards who didnt have a choice but to enlist or die.

Very shameful but as the saying goes;

"Those who try to erase history are doomed to repeat it."
edit on 17-10-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
tear it down and make it public rest rooms, complete with hitler face targets in the urinals and toilets, advertise piss on hitler and charge admission.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

And Jehovah's Witnesses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join