It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College is a scam! DON"T MISS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I needed to share this video because this young man is on point and incredibly articulate.

Just watch that's all I have to say guys. Watch this video and help it spread this guy deserves to be heard.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'm at work and can not watch the video, could you summarize a little?

I think college is way overpriced, but I certainly want my bridges, buildings, cars and airplanes to be designed by engineers who understand math and have a degree.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

He says college is scam and that people shouldn't be going into debt and he criticizes the entire education system.

It's a lot.

He says he can learn faster on the internet he said he was years ahead of other students with home schooling says his graduate friends are 40,000 in debt and waiting tables.

edit on 10-9-2016 by Darkmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Good video.

"Everyone" should go to college is a scam.

What used to be higher education is now big business and not just for the college, the banks as well.

www.businesspundit.com...

socawlege.com...

time.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

Thanks,

I don't disagree! I have a degree in science and am back in school for computer science and sadly I must be too motivated as I am way ahead in my classes and have started doing online learning when I have free time.

One professor teaches 7 classes, he's a great guy, but he's stretched too thin to be a great educator.

That said, I would like the degree and certifications simply because they will open doors in my (new) career.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Precisely.

I would also like to see performance data such as;

College educated apprentice vs non college educated apprentice

Let's see if a degree is a good indicator of future performance or if there is no real correlation between getting an education and performance.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

The idea of college isn't a scam, but the inner workings of it sure as heck are.

The idea of continuing your education and having a place where you can for that is not a scam. It shouldn't be forced on you like it seems to be these days, but education is a great equalizer in this world.
His major issue tho is just how America does it, which if you haven't noticed lots of people are starting to agree with.
But we have lots of people that want to say since they went through it, everyone else should have to too.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

You have a point, college itself is not a scam the modern education paradigm is a scam.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
While I think trade schools aren't thought of as well as they should be, there are a LOT of professions for which you're not going to technician your way into doing well.

That said, I think shop class fits a lot of people. You can be a dandy mechanic that way. You can apprentice your way into being a fine plumber, or carpenter, or electrician, and in fact, I think you would be better served to go that way.

However. You're not going to apprentice your way into being much of a physicist. Or an engineer. Or doctor. I have had many a tech who thought they could, and I let them try, one by one, and they all failed, one by one. Because there is just a huge wad of common body of knowledge you have to have to be a good engineer. You can sort of meatball your way through simple stuff but when you actually have to know why a type of motor winding works the way it does, it's math, and thermo, and fields, and lots of it.

Apprenticeship gives you a technician. And if what you need is a tech, a tech is fine. But a tech isn't going to develop a new design that requires understanding of what's going on at a deep level.

Now, there are plenty of people who get degrees but aren't actually good at doing anything with it. And there are plenty more who don't get a degree who are dandy at the level of things they do. Some have what it takes to learn what they need to know when they need to know it, albeit rarely, and often they discover that the one simple thing they needed to figure out was the pointy top of a huge pyramid of other crap they didn't know, too, and either waved off or discovered that it was the push they needed to go get a formal education. Being an autodidact is a rare phenomenon.

The employee who thinks they can learn what they need from Youtube or they're super smarter than everyone and don't need to learn the field they're going to take up isn't one I want. A lot of people who don't want to put in the effort it takes to learn this stuff have a lot of yap yap yap about how they don't need to. Here's the hint - you're lazy, or you're Albert Einstein. And I'm betting you're not Al.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I think the idea that if you want a good paying job you need a college degree is B.S.. Learning a technical skill at a trade school gives you hands on experience, something businesses want and colleges fall short. The cost of a college education doesn't always pay-off when you compare the type of salary a college graduate can expect to receive. There are many dead-end degrees. Too many students don't realize it until they graduate and reality sits-in.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Because there is just a huge wad of common body of knowledge you have to have to be a good engineer.

How doesn't the apprentice have access to this information and have you ever seen what goes into a modern apprenticeship?

Some of them you have to take classes and read books and take tests.

The employee who thinks they can learn what they need from Youtube or they're super smarter than everyone and don't need to learn the field they're going to take up isn't one I want.

I disagree with the notion that I can't teach myself as effectively as a professor who I've never met before.

edit on 10-9-2016 by Darkmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's not just America it's the same BS in the UK since the government revoked free university tuition and in recent years have jacked up the tuition costs, so that students will be upwards of £50,000 in debt where most will never pay that money off in their working life.

Also mortgage providers have started asking homebuyers if they have any university debt, it used to be that university debt never counted but now they're using it as an excuse to increase premiums or flat out deny people.

The whole system sucks

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It's 2016. You shouldn't need some random yt video to inform you on how the higher educational system makes little sense for most people.

It used to be you had to be intelligent and driven to get into a real college. Then the bleeding hearts came in and really wanted to believe everyone should get an advanced education, just cuz. It doesn't matter that it makes zero sense, we should all feel bad for being smarter than others, and instead of fessing up to the inherent differences and moving on, deny this and self-hate in the form of "equality".. or something lol.

I mean, some of these libertards trip me out, about the same as the 'murika-tootin republicans.
edit on 10-9-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I have twice as much collage as many of those with degrees.

I went to junior college for a number of trade courses in machinist, EMT mechanic and welding.and i never went into debt.

The one best course that was the best one i took was training as a EMT.
This got me more construction and mining jobs using my other trades then any other.

I worked construction or mining in many remote areas working in the trades i have and was the onsite EMT for emergencies on site if needed.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Three things in college, you get in debt, you get brainwashed, and most of the knowledge you acquire gives you no professional experience when it comes to practical matters..

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The guy is right about the whole thing. Some jobs require an education but most don't. What happened to going to work at a job and working your way up the ladder, getting paid while you learned. Then you apply for a better job and get paid more as you gain experience. After four years you are getting a good wage and benefits. Beats going into debt and then going to work at subway.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

at the end of this FIght Club exert....."we've all been raised on television to believe we would be....."

I think that younger generations believe that jobs that require basic training should be beneath them. That they all deserve 100K a year and a glamorous life....in their chosen field.

Tech skills are looked at like the retarded kid in class.

I am a trained machinist. 2 year degree for tool and die making.

I am now the superintendent of a factory that employs 1000 people.....all because of what I learned as a machinist.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The guy is right about the whole thing. Some jobs require an education but most don't. What happened to going to work at a job and working your way up the ladder, getting paid while you learned. Then you apply for a better job and get paid more as you gain experience. After four years you are getting a good wage and benefits. Beats going into debt and then going to work at subway.

Companies don't promote from within anymore professionals are highered laterally from company to company.

Upward mobility is severely limited and talent isn't a desirable trait anymore.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Machinist is a good job.

Now try and find someone willing to train.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness

Machinist is a good job.

Now try and find someone willing to train.

I will.

I learned in high school (machine trades for 2 years)
went on to Vincennes University for Tool and DIe. 2 year course.
$5000 in student loans is all I had. Paid off in my 1st 2 years of work.

My company has an apprentice program. You get tested for aptitude 1st. If you pass, it is a 3-5 year program on the job and some schooling off sight. Journeyman card at the end of it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join