It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Johnson: I'm Not Running For Leadership

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So, Boris Johnson lead a successful campaign for the U.K to leave the entity that is the E.U, but he's decided now is not the time to stand for leader of the Tories and become Prime Minister.

It has shocked many of his supporters, but with Michael Gove throwing his hat in, that scuppered any chance he had I guess?

Some are saying it feels like Johnson took a massive dump in No.10, then swanned off.

Personally I'm glad he's not running, although if Trump becomes President, there may have been a 'Hair off' between the pair.

news.sky.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

...or just part of a continuing plan to pretend that the UK is going to 'really' leave the EU?
Puppets, strings?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I am not against ''BREXIT'' idea, but the guy had to stand firm on his promises to the public and not thwarting the good image of '' BREXIT '' he displayed in the first place.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

If May wins, and it's looking likely she will, then possibly. She said that there will be no going back, but without article 50 being invoked and with comments like Carney is making, who really knows?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: balox45

Yes, they'll put May in, who was for remain and the money saved by coming out of the E.U will all of a sudden be spent on anything but the NHS. She never promised it, Johnson did. Although they were crazy claims anyway and most could see through it.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I'd be less surprised if it all ends up a fudge, pretty much the same, but under different name and status in a couple of years, than if we actually leave and get a deal that is any different.
I'm reading between the lines of course in my mind but if it is then c'est la vie...I'll always do whatever I can for whatever it is I wish, accepting the hardest gang in town is easy, but I'll vote against them if I have the opportunity lol

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The key event was obviously the defection of Michael Gove (cherchez la femme, I think). I suspect his own ambition was a factor, and he may have miscalculated.
But if Gove is right in thinking that Boris could not hold together the Parliamentary party, then his rejection of Boris and Boris' decision to stand down were both the right thing to do.

I have always thought that it was a MASSIVE mistake for the parties to broaden out leadership elections to the membership at large. In British constitutional practice, the P.M. rests on the support of his Parliamentary party. Their majority is what makes him P.M., formally speaking, and their votes in the Commons decide whether he can govern. They should be the ones who choose him leader in the first place, as always used to happen.
The Corbyn situation proves the point. This is the Reductio ad Absurdam. It is grotesque that the Parliamentary party should have forced on them a leader they cannot respect or trust, and that they might be forced to take him back (unless they have the guts to resign the whip en masse and form a new parliamentary grouping with its own leader).

I have liked Boris ever since his HIGNFY days. But a Boris chosen by the party at large without being able to win the confidence of the party in the Commons would have been a less extreme version of the Corbyn situation.
In those circumstances, standing for election would have been the selfish and divisive thing to do. Whereas standing down is actually the more realistic and statesmanlike act. People should not be jeering at him because of it.

edit on 30-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

This is purely speculation...

I'm guessing they have some type of blackmail on him due to the ongoing child abuse which occurs among the UK elite, it's a known fact and has been thoroughly exposed as of late...my guess they let this guy know about the "dirt" they have on him.

Speculation...I am not officially accusing him.

Politics...

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I'm not jeering him, but I can see why some have.

As for Corbyn, he is biding his time for the Chilcott report to be published and if it is as damning of Blair and Straw as they say it is, he will call for Blair to be brought to justice.

The coup against Corbyn has been a long time coming, so it is not surprising. I admire Corbyn for his stance against the PLP, personally I would like to see all the Blairites sacked, their time has come and gone.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I think Gove thought that if Johnson became PM he would sell out the Brexit side , he was never a leave supporter but threw his hat into the leave camp as a way to unseat Cameron and grab the leadership , he and Cameron have been rivals since school and it really pissed him off that Cameron , who had no real leadership ambition , got the job Johnson wanted.

Since last week Johnson has been rowing back on Brexit promises , he's looked uncomfortable ever since the leave result was announced , Gove has done us all a favour.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
No, "jeering" was not directed at you. I have heard comments on television and seen them elsewhere.

edit on 30-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I think Gove thought that if Johnson became PM he would sell out the Brexit side

My theory is that his wife was Lady Macbeth, not wanting him to be second string to Boris.
Presumably she was the one who leaked her own e-mail in order to force the pace.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Sure I heard she "accidentally" sent it to a journalist.
Accidentally.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I for one am glad that he isn't standing, but I think Disraeli has hit the nail on the head.

Sir Eric Pickles was on Sky this evening and he is backing Theresa May. He said "I always thought I was a Boris Johnson supporter, but last week I told him Boris, I can't support you."

On Michael Gove he said, "Well he told me himself last year that he wasn't up to the task of Prime Minister, he doesn't have it in him. I admire his new found self confidence, but I am supporting Theresa May."

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think Boris knows whoever gets the job next is inheriting a poisoned chalice now and thus will let the rest of them fight it out and if it all goes tits up he'll be the next guy in the line and probably win it almost by default.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

On Michael Gove he said, "Well he told me himself last year that he wasn't up to the task of Prime Minister, he doesn't have it in him. I admire his new found self confidence, but I am supporting Theresa May."

Which is why I think he's done it to save Brexit , it's something that he believes in unlike Johnson who's just a chancer using Brexit for his own political purpose.

edit on 30-6-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

To be honest, that thought also crossed my mind.

There will be a G.E this year, there has to be after all the crying the Tories made about Gordon Brown inheriting the role from Blair.

I think we will see a shift from Tory and Labour supporters to UKIP at the next election. I think the G.E result will replicate just how split the country is regarding politics and UKIP may surprise a few of us.

Another coalition I predict, but between whom, I couldn't even begin to guess.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I have found their similarity in looks to be bizarre.

I wish I had more to say about brexit, but since I do not live there, I do not feel qualified.

What I do find to be true is that the media made up regrexit from just what maybe 3 random people said.
edit on 30-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I have yet to meet anyone who has regretted their decision to vote leave. Sure there are a few videos of people claiming it, but I don't know these people, they are just random presented by the MSM.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Really it's Cameron that took the dump as he clearly had no discernible strategy for how to leave the EU and is happy to plod it out for 8 weeks until he can wash his hands of it all. Can't really blame Boris for not wanting to step in it so it looks like it's either May, Crabb or Gove; all self serving snivelling and utterly incompetent little cretins that totally ballsed up the lesser positions theyve occupied and want the spot solely because of the power that comes with it.

Politics in this country disgusts me, I'd be far happier seeing Whitehall burned to the ground.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join