It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K Govt To Rush Through EU Vote Legislation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well, well, well.

When it suits the Government, it appears they can rush through a change to the constitution and extend the timeframe in order to register to vote.

I can't ever remember a time that anything like this has happened.

I mean people were first advised of the deadline around three months ago, but apparently around 500,000 of the U.K population left it to the final few hours to register, causing the Government website to crash. As a result the Government has decided to extend the deadline until Midnight on Thursday 9th June.

The Government is to rush through urgent legislation after David Cameron vowed to help people unable to register to vote in the EU referendum due to a website crash

Cabinet Office minister Matt Hancock urged voters to register now - but said the deadline for taking part in the referendum would be extended until midnight on Thursday.

The more cuynical amongst us may correlate the decision to the fact that the Brexit vote is closing in on the remain vote and Cameron and Co, including supporters of other parties, could well be left with egg on their face, if the U.K does vote to leave the E.U on June 23rd.

Of course a Government spokesman talked about democracy and that everyone should get the opportunity to vote on this historic referendum. I agree that they should, but if people could not be bothered to register until the 11th hour, hard luck I say.

Desperate times call for desperate measures it appears.

news.sky.com...

edit on 8/6/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: To add link

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Seems a reasonable thing to do, I guess someone in the gov.uk support teams scanning for some beefier hardware and other stuff as this is the second time its happened, a few load balancing servers and what not won't cost that much but this is always the way with the government they never expect anything to be popular so they say "oh we'll only get 20k hits a day" and so they spec the machines etc to handle perhaps 30k and so when you get 2-300k hits a day the machinery just grabs a coffee and heads into a darkened room for a rest.

Its not that uncommon for emergency legislation for very specific points like this as really it doesn't help either side as no one knows who's voting for who.

A lot of those who are trying to register are under 35 and i do remember from working in a council that it was always a pain trying to track students for elections as some may want to return to their home area to vote and even just getting them to register is a pain in its self and probably a few free beers at the uni bar and loads would register.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I think three months notice was reasonable enough.

As I said, if you leave it to the last minute, you run the risk of something like this happening.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Changing the rules to suit their needs , suspicious activity.
if people haven't registered by now then that's their problem , it's hardly like there haven't been enough warnings over the weeks.

Smells like desperation from the remain camp to me.

edit on 8-6-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

As I said, if you leave it to the last minute, you run the risk of something like this happening.

Cobaltic,

Let's be honest, you, like me probably think if people leave it to the 59th minute of the 11th hour then tough, why have you not been arsed to make sure you are able to use your democratic right to vote. I would fully support you with that, but then again maybe we are just of a different generation.

If the UK government didn't do this, and the Remain vote won by a small enough margin, the Leave campaign would be storming about why people weren't given an extra chance to register. I'm sure that would also be the case if Leave won.

I also think any people shouting about why the infrastructure wasn't in place to allow over half a million people to register simultaneously when there has been 0% precedence in the UK for a figure anywhere near that need to listen to people who perhaps know what they are talking about. The apathy in our country (I'm sure it's no better or worse than most) sometimes staggers me, particularly when people have the chance to vote, don't use it and then complain about the result.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You really should consider demanding an "outside" and by that I mean non-Brit, non-EU, committee to oversee the counting of the votes. Something like an independent audit.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Who will the additional votes favour is the key?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Well, well, well.

When it suits the Government, it appears they can rush through a change to the constitution and extend the timeframe in order to register to vote.

I can't ever remember a time that anything like this has happened.

I mean people were first advised of the deadline around three months ago, but apparently around 500,000 of the U.K population left it to the final few hours to register, causing the Government website to crash. As a result the Government has decided to extend the deadline until Midnight on Thursday 9th June.

The Government is to rush through urgent legislation after David Cameron vowed to help people unable to register to vote in the EU referendum due to a website crash

Cabinet Office minister Matt Hancock urged voters to register now - but said the deadline for taking part in the referendum would be extended until midnight on Thursday.

The more cuynical amongst us may correlate the decision to the fact that the Brexit vote is closing in on the remain vote and Cameron and Co, including supporters of other parties, could well be left with egg on their face, if the U.K does vote to leave the E.U on June 23rd.

Of course a Government spokesman talked about democracy and that everyone should get the opportunity to vote on this historic referendum. I agree that they should, but if people could not be bothered to register until the 11th hour, hard luck I say.

Desperate times call for desperate measures it appears.

news.sky.com...

Or worse and they no they are heading for a possible defeat hence they crash the website to give them an excuse to extend in the belief that the extra votes may save their sorry dodgy (we'll all die if we leave) liar waffling arse's. And D for Desperation as D is for Dodgy Dave is the name of the game!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Changing the rules to suit their needs , suspicious activity.
if people haven't registered by now then that's their problem , it's hardly like there haven't been enough warnings over the weeks.

Smells like desperation from the remain camp to me.
You got it! They secretly know they are in trouble.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

But don't the Chancellor and the PM and all the other Dads Army Remain Camp have the ability to predict the future and tell us all what's going to happen if we leave so wouldn't they have already determined what might happen last night? Exactly!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

I agree about the apathy, it staggers me too.

There were claims yesterday that the leave camp were swamping the site and that this contributed to it crashing. Of course I am sure that there were claims that the remain camp were also behind it, but let's be realistic, there was always a danger that this could happen, so any whinging from either side is moot.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

But don't the Chancellor and the PM and all the other Dads Army Remain Camp have the ability to predict the future and tell us all what's going to happen if we leave so wouldn't they have already determined what might happen last night? Exactly!

Well the so called big boys of Boris, Nigel and Gove seem to be able to predict with nothing to actually substantiate, and you post nothing in judgement of them that I see - same thing? Slightly pathetic, but not surprised.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

I agree about the apathy, it staggers me too.

There were claims yesterday that the leave camp were swamping the site and that this contributed to it crashing. Of course I am sure that there were claims that the remain camp were also behind it, but let's be realistic, there was always a danger that this could happen, so any whinging from either side is moot.

Agreed. I'm not going to become the geek on this, but multiple viewings of a page concurrently - usually no problem. Multiple interactions with a page - big DB hit that if not anticipated in those numbers - and over half a million I believe is not an anticipated number - not surprised there was an issue.

Anyway, let's see what happens. I know you'll like this, but I actually think the UK as a whole will vote to leave. I don't agree with that being the best for us, but then if Scotland had decided to leave I would have taken the same path that if democracy has spoken, we should all get together to make it work.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The Tories changed the rules about registering in the first place so you could argue that wanted to remove pro EU voters.

What difference does 2 days make anyway? Is there some constitutional crisis that will unfold if people register 2 days later ? NAH, it's all about civil servants having time to check the registrations, that's all.

This a typical IT screw up with assumptions about numbers being , as per fricking usual, way off the mark.

There is no conspiracy here, just the usual : human fricking error and cock-up.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

It's not a change to the constitution. The UK does not have a Constitution per se. However, emergency legislation is just process to rush through a change to law, in this case the European Union Referendum Act 2015.

The failing of a website due to excessive activity is not very good on the department running the sow, but actually quite encouraging to see such a volume of registrations. Giving a couple more days is good and inclusive.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Well the so called big boys of Boris, Nigel and Gove seem to be able to predict with nothing to actually substantiate, and you post nothing in judgement of them that I see - same thing? Slightly pathetic, but not surprised.

Why would I post anything in judgement of the Vote Leave team when I agree with their sentiments and position. I want a sovereign self controlling and law defining UK and immigration/migration is and will continue to grow and whilst we are in the EU we cant stop it! If you wish for different then more fool you! Its pathetic wanting to be controlled and dictated to by a non democratic bunch of placed commissioners leading a federal EU from Brussels! Norway got it right (twice)!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Why would I post anything in judgement of the Vote Leave team when I agree with their sentiments and position. I want a sovereign self controlling and law defining UK and immigration/migration is and will continue to grow and whilst we are in the EU we cant stop it! If you wish for different then more fool you! Its pathetic wanting to be controlled and dictated to by a non democratic bunch of placed commissioners leading a federal EU from Brussels! Norway got it right (twice)!

So you want Norway, yes? Still got open movement within the EU, yes? Still has to comply with EU legislation, yes? Who's the fool?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

It's not the amount of time being allowed for the extension, it's the fact there is one.

The site crashed because of the amount of traffic it was receiving, people leaving it to the last minute. There were local elections nationwide, just over a month ago, if these people would have registered to elect for those elections, we wouldn't be where we are now.

They are predicting an 80% turn out for the referendum, if all those who have already registered and those that tried to register last night turn out. A high turn out will favour the Remain camp, but no, of course there is no conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

So you want Norway, yes? Still got open movement within the EU, yes? Still has to comply with EU legislation, yes? Who's the fool?

I was referring to their economy! Because all that the Remain campaign waffle about is that and that's not the problem the UK people have, its Sovereignty, Control and Immigration. These are the things the UK people most care about unless you are a greedy B. Its more about quality of life, pride and self determination. Why would I be a fool. I am self made but not greedy with it! I have choices in life, which country I reside in (and currently its 3) do you? and I have never resided in a shoe box nor had such a narrow mentality. The British people want their country back and on the 23 June they will hopefullly get their wish. If not then those who voted remain will one day rue that decision.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I was referring to their economy! Because all that the Remain campaign waffle about is that and that's not the problem the UK people have, its Sovereignty, Control and Immigration. These are the things the UK people most care about unless you are a greedy B. Its more about quality of life, pride and self determination. Why would I be a fool. I am self made but not greedy with it! I have choices in life, which country I reside in (and currently its 3) do you? and I have never resided in a shoe box nor had such a narrow mentality. The British people want their country back and on the 23 June they will hopefullly get their wish. If not then those who voted remain will one day rue that decision.

So go and live in another country, I'm not sure if you would be missed. You didn't answer the question about Norway at all did you?

Are you Boris in disguise?

Whatever way I choose to vote on the 23rd, your voice, trust me, will be the last one that would ever have a chance of informing me. What do you mean by you have "never resided in a shoe box or had such a narrow mentality"? I think you may find that is where the leave campaign has a stronger hold, but you are too blinded to notice that aren't you?

If you have three passports, good for you, bye bye.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join