It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Sun leave the sky?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In another thread, the subject was brought up about whether the Sun leaves the sky.
We have members her that deny that the Sun leaves the sky.
The sky is the area above the Earth that is visible above us.
Here is the simple definition of sky according to Merriam Websters dictionary.

the space over the Earth where the sun, moon, stars, and clouds appear

These members seem to think that I don't understand that the Earth spins on its axis , creating day and night.
I am fully aware of that fact.
I am also aware of what the sky is and that the night sky is dark.
At dawn the Sun appears in the East on the horizon and at dusk, it disappears below the Western horizon.
Yes folks, I am aware that the Earth moves relative to the Sun to create the seasons. It spins on its axis to create night and day.

But the sky is defined by our vision. It is the area of the atmosphere and space that we can see from a point on the surface of the Earth.
The Sun leaves that visual field every day.... right at the end of the day.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
That is a relative statement as well. Since as it leaves your view in the sky, it might begin to appear in another person's view (i.e. U.S. vs Japan).

Right?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

You most certainly can have a sunless sky. But, the Sun doesn't leave the sky, the Earth turns away from Him. But the He, the Sun is always in Her face.

edit on 31-5-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be more apt to say that we leave the sun instead of the sun leaving us? We are the ones moving relative to the sun, not the other way around.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
What is this?
An IQ test?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

You need to understand that "up" is relative to the individual. The sun is only "up" to people on the side of the earth where the sun is visible in its "upness".

You also need to understand that the sun is never "in the sky", but visible through our atmosphere at certain (relative) times.

So, to answer your question....

The sun is neither "up" nor "in our sky". Therefore it can never leave what it is not in.

I hope that helps lol.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Do we have a visual sighting of the Sun going across the sky on a clear day?

We do have up and down as humans. Down is towards gravity. To those of us that are not astronauts that have been to the moon, the center of the Earth is down.
The area that is visible to us that is not the Earth is the sky.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Does anyone know how fast you have to travel to keep the sun visible in the sky if you are on the equator?

edit on b000000312016-05-31T19:39:37-05:0007America/ChicagoTue, 31 May 2016 19:39:37 -0500700000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
That is a relative statement as well. Since as it leaves your view in the sky, it might begin to appear in another person's view (i.e. U.S. vs Japan).

Right?

It is all a matter of perspective.
If I sit on my porch all day, my sky stays the same as far as position relative to me.
My sky is not the sky over Australia.
The sky is the area that is visible above the observer.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

No. What we have is the illusion of the sun passing through our sky.

We do have up and down as humans. Down is towards gravity. To those of us that are not astronauts that have been to the moon, the center of the Earth is down.
Again, it's relative.

Imagine person a is on the absolute opposite of the planet to person b. "Up" for person a would be in the "down" direction for person b. And vice versa.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Again, it's relative.

Imagine person a is on the absolute opposite of the planet to person b. "Up" for person a would be in the "down" direction for person b. And vice versa.

Does the Sun leave our visual field at dusk?
Trust me, I understand how we have day and night. I comprehend why the Sun leaves our field of vision at dusk.

Just admit that the Sun leaves our field of vision at dusk.

edit on b000000312016-05-31T19:52:34-05:0007America/ChicagoTue, 31 May 2016 19:52:34 -0500700000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Does anyone know how fast you have to travel to keep the sun visible in the sky if you are on the equator?

1,000 mph should do it. The Earth is about 24,000 miles around. A day is 24 hours long, so 1,000 mph is in the ballpark.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The sun also (as you put it) leaves our vision on a cloudy/overcast/foggy/stormy/snowy day as well.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Again, it's relative.

Trust me, I understand how we have day and night. I comprehend why the Sun leaves our field of vision at dusk.

Just admit that the Sun leaves out field of vision at dusk.

Again, it's relative.

If the "our" is a group people scattered throughout the planet, then your post is false as it wouldn't be dusk for everyone.

If the "our" is a group of people in he same area then your statement is true as it would be dusk for everyone.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

These members seem to think that I don't understand that the Earth spins on its axis , creating day and night.
I am fully aware of that fact.

Did you never feel so played?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Some people will argue about anything it seems.
Sounds like a bunch of kids on the playground.
Now argue over why the sky is blue. ..... nah uh, sometimes the sky is grey. ..well sometimes in the evening the sky is pink and orange. . .

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

I don't know about you, but, I was having fun here. You honestly think I was arguing? Ha...wow. Over something like this? I don't think so. If that was not the purpose of the thread, then I misunderstood it in its obvious absurdity, just begging to be used in a playful manner.

But then, I could be wrong. I often am, and not afraid to admit it (although that seems to rub some folks the wrong way. Actually experiencing someone admit they were wrong without expecting some underlying wacked out agenda.

Now THAT is sad in itself I must say.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

You realize that the sun doesn't go down, it is just an illusion caused by the world spinning around..

Do you realize that we are floating in space....?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Again, it's relative.

Just admit that the Sun leaves out field of vision at dusk.

Again, it's relative.

If the "our" is a group people scattered throughout the planet, then your post is false as it wouldn't be dusk for everyone.

If the "our" is a group of people in he same area then your statement is true as it would be dusk for everyone.

^^^^ This. To the OP ...I am assuming as to your location, but I'm more than likely on the "other side" of the planet. Rest assured during your night period the sun is still very much in the sky. Also in my night period, you all are blocking my sunlight.
edit on 5/31/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

As we on planet spaceship-Earth travel and rotate through the 24 hour cycle...the sun comes in and then out of our vision as we rotate.

It never leaves the sky...just our vision of it in the sky...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join