It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine gun control proposal meets threshold for ballot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
source

Looks like they've finally collected enough signatures to bring this to vote- unless the smaht people up top waive it through. I might actually have to get out there and vote against losing more freedom- again.

FWIW FFL fees around here start around $30- more than I'd like to pay (on top of the inconvenience) for a private sale.

Basically, they're passing a fancy new law here that bans private transfers. They finally fixed the wording to allow exchange between family members, but they have not fixed the insane stipulations. Going hunting with a friend, share a ride, stopped for gas? By stepping out of the vehicle you've now illegally transferred your firearm to your friend.

They won't stop until we're all felons.

Just another drop in the bucket.

edit on 18-2-2016 by lordcomac because: fixing link

edit on 18-2-2016 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Your link is not working. What did it say?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Oh, odd. Fixed the link, I must have screwed up copying it.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Short and to the point article:

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Maine election officials have cleared a firearm background check proposal for the November ballot.

Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap said Thursday that the referendum supporters obtained 65,821 valid signatures, exceeding the minimum threshold by more than 4,500.

The proposal would require a background check before a firearm sale or transfer between individuals. The parties would be required to meet at a licensed firearm dealer, who would conduct a background check on the gun recipient and complete the sale.

There are exceptions, including transfers between family members. The proposal will go to voters unless Maine lawmakers approve it.

Good for them. If the Feds won't do it, the states should.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Yeah that's right what part of
Shall not be infringed covers that horse pucky.....just askin...

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Yeah, because if the Constitution stops the Fed, then by golly, the States should usurp it.
SNIP

edit on 2/18/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: Go after the ball, not the player

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

The felon thing is how i see them taking away gun rights the easiest way. Couple of tickets back to back or wrong tag on a trailer could both get you felonies. You can get people to back you with laws easier than get the backing of removing guns.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

How does a background check prevent you from owning a firearm? Unless...you shouldn't have one in the first place.
SNIP Suspected terrorist? Second amendment. Unhinged stalker? Second amendment. Violent felon with propensity to recommit? Second amendment.

edit on 2/18/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: Go after the player, not the ball

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Do you know the definition of the word "restriction"?

I will wait.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
hmmmm. i thought Maine was a serious gun rights place. too many urban out of state libs migrate in to escape lib ghettos they created?

"Carpet bagger" should be a category on the hunting schedule. you go in get a few tags for long gun season and a few for black powder season and a few for bow season (and a few for pig sticker season.)

A managed hippy herd is a happy hippy herd.

edit on 18-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It doesn't ,all you have to do is lie.
20 YEARS,however, THAT is what happens if they don't like you,never to buy a gun again.
THAT stops the intelligent ones.
The rest usually act like idiots and most dealers will THEN won't sell. Holding up a pistol sideways can cause that.
If a dealer won't sell ,you can't do squat.
edit on 18-2-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
hmmmm. i thought Maine was a serious gun rights place. too many urban out of state libs migrate in to escape lib ghettos they created?

"Carpet bagger" should be a category on the hunting schedule. you go in get a few tags for long gun season and a few for black powder season and a few for bow season (and a few for pig sticker season.)

Genius idea!
In a thread concerning new regulation on gun sales because of recent indiscriminate killings & mass shootings, your idea is to?
Target, hunt & kill those that oppose your beliefs in unregulated gun sales & ownership?

Well that's just brilliant.

K~

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Maine?? I find it be so weird this would be happening in Maine of all places!! Wow!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: macman

How does a background check prevent you from owning a firearm? Unless...you shouldn't have one in the first place.
SNIP Suspected terrorist? Second amendment. Unhinged stalker? Second amendment. Violent felon with propensity to recommit? Second amendment.

edit on 2/18/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: Go after the player, not the ball

That isn't the purpose of a background check. The real purpose is to have a registry of legal gun owners so when confiscation takes place they will know who where and how many. You will be one of the first sheep shot when they do come for guns, and since you won't have one, you won't be shooting back, which is all the info the jackbooted thugs really care about. OF course, when the SHTF you will probably beg for protection by your armed neighbors.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Maine is so far up there, it's practically Canada!

...hope you guys are able to shoot it down come vote time

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

Genius idea!
In a thread concerning new regulation on gun sales because of recent indiscriminate killings & mass shootings, your idea is to?
Target, hunt & kill those that oppose your beliefs in unregulated gun sales & ownership?

Well that's just brilliant.

K~

problem?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Just marveling at your mental process.
K~

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

What you stated is already covered . Here is the issue :

Suspected terrorist?

With the list coming from our great (hahaha) Obama Admin and DHS , we all fall under that category..

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Support the GOP holding off on confirming a new SCOTUS justice and vote Republican in November if you have any hope of the SCOTUS tossing that violation of your rights when they finally see it cross their bench.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
source

Looks like they've finally collected enough signatures to bring this to vote- unless the smaht people up top waive it through. I might actually have to get out there and vote against losing more freedom- again.

FWIW FFL fees around here start around $30- more than I'd like to pay (on top of the inconvenience) for a private sale.

Basically, they're passing a fancy new law here that bans private transfers. They finally fixed the wording to allow exchange between family members, but they have not fixed the insane stipulations. Going hunting with a friend, share a ride, stopped for gas? By stepping out of the vehicle you've now illegally transferred your firearm to your friend.

They won't stop until we're all felons.

Just another drop in the bucket.

I think for people who haven't lived in Maine and are not Mainers there are some important points to consider before commenting. Maine is unlike anything you know. It's largely rural and the few urban centers have seen a massive influx of out-of-state transplants who have driven up property values and forced native Mainers from their homes. Maine Catholic Charities has also been pouring in refugees from places like Somalia and stressed the already struggling municipalities. In the past Maine has been largely libertarian in their leanings, socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

The pay in Maine is incredibly low compared to the cost of living and the last I saw the disparity between income and cost of living was the highest in the nation. The economy forced me to leave Maine, which has bothered me for the 7 years I've been gone.

Historically Maine has been a battleground for out of state entities to wage their political wars. The small population gives them big bang for their buck in forcing a referendum, which they can then point to as a victory and move on to other states. Maine is a state that believes in the second amendment. Outside the urban centers, even if this law is passed, people will continue to buy and trade guns as they have done for generations. As they should. This referendum is BS. A native Mainer with a gun isn't something that worries me.

Another thing that people should know is that the way a referendum in Maine gets worded has historically been intentionally obtuse and meant to confuse people. They like to use double negatives and convoluted wording to confuse the people. That may have changed in the years I've been gone, but I doubt it. It was so bad that those on either side of an issue would have to buy advertising that explained what a yes or no vote actually meant. It's disgraceful.

Organizations pushing an agenda should stay out of Maine. Maine shouldn't be the testing ground for their crap propaganda.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join