It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students accused of racism after chanting "USA"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Source

“I apologize to Slaton ISD and the chanting will not be allowed to continue at games because of the perception that it creates,” Waller said. “We understand competitiveness and school excitement and support, but we need to be supportive in our words to our team and not use words that may be interpreted as insensitive to an opposing team.”

I'm going to keep my own commentary out of this one...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

it seems to me that it isn't the words but the intent behind them.

i was taught this a long time ago..... it doesn't matter what is said or what is meant. the only thing that matters is what is understood.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

If the high school team had just won a game against a team from a foreign country I could understand the "USA" chant. But this team had just won a game against another local high school that had a prominent Hispanic student body. So, yeah, I can see how it would be taken as offensive.

edit on 23-1-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Chanting "USA USA" in a room full of Americans is daft

Its not inconceivable that this was directed at the Hispanic-American students and therefore had racist overtones.

Either way they are idiots.

As subfab highlighted - its the intent behind the action that counts -

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I guess the next Olympic Games are going to be pretty quiet if people can no longer cheer for a country. In fact the whole concept of nation vs nation competition is now "racist". Is 'American' even a race?

edit on 23-1-2015 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Uhm, but... that WAS racist... they were pretty much telling the Hispanic-Americans they're not Americans. Which is dumb.

And racist.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

How are you cheering for USA when the cheer is meant to be AGAINST a US team?

It would be like cheering USA against a US team and for a Sweden team when the US team was Hispanic and the Sweden team was White.

USA=/=White

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Kinda conflicted on this one...

I thought freedom of speech was the big thing of 2015...

When English teams play German teams, or indeed if England play against Germany in Soccer Football...

"2 World Wars & 1 World Cup, doo dah, doo dah, 2 World Wars & 1 World Cup, oh da doo dah day" is a very common chant...

Although I suppose unless they speak English it's just a noise to them.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I'm going to keep my own commentary out of this one...

Then don't make a thread about it as a thread requires your personal opinion on it.

But ya seems like there was a clear ulterior motive by this chant.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Awwwww

Sure, anything Patriotic is frowned upon these days.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Let me just throw my 2 cents into this machine so I can be gone for this lovely hunting trip by tomorrow:

1). The opposing team that was the recipient of the chant, is also American yet predominantly Hispanic

2). Like other people have stated, USA does not = White (I am white and actually from the Caucus, but not American)

3). Something was instilled into these boys to judge the other "brown" team as a foreign threat; an enemy

4). Just because of a few divergent examples, doesn't mean we should hold hatred in our hearts for Caucasian Americans

5). Blame the boys coaches
edit on 23-1-2015 by Mehmet666Heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What about this was patriotic

This was not USA against a foreign opponent

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is how I feel about the situation.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Freedom of Speech come to mind.

Go U.S.A. !!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And they are free to say what they want.

They are not free from the repercussions of it, unless it is the gov for anti gov speech.
As much as you preach about the constitutions I know you know .

It was USA v USA, who were they cheering for?
edit on rdFri, 23 Jan 2015 20:43:23 -0600America/Chicago120152380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Pathetic.

Those claiming "offense" can now control the words students are permitted to say.

What happened to "Je Sui Charlie?"

USA! USA! USA!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

The better question is what type of "American" would take offense to somebody chanting "USA! USA! USA!"?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Yes lets just play dumb about it.

And of course we need to compare this to the paris incident.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Sremmos80

The better question is what type of "American" would take offense to somebody chanting "USA! USA! USA!"?

One that felt the racial way it was intended. People who feel Hispanics are less than human and don't belong even if they are legal citizens. Truth can't be messed with. It can't be twisted. It is what it is and they suck for doing so.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: UmbraSumus

Its not inconceivable that this was directed at the Hispanic-American students and therefore had racist overtones.

Except Hispanic isn't a race of human being.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join