It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas Instantly Shuts Down Anti Israel Protests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 05:53 AM
link   
THIS is how it should be done!

Reported online and on TV. Anti-Israel agitators, calling themselves a student protest, tried to do an 'occupy University of Texas' style protest just like as is going on with Columbia University. They wanted to take over the campus just the same as Columbia, and they were infiltrated by nonstudents and by organizers that were connected with other protests. The agitators would have made the campus an unsafe place for everyone, especially for Jewish students and faculty who would have been subjected to the usual calls to be genocided and threats against their lives, etc. The University of Texas would have no part of this nonsense. They immediately told the students that the 'protests' were against school rules and that anyone engaging in them would be arrested and suspended. The students held their protest anyways, and the school IMMEDIATELY called in massive law enforcement to shut it down and disperse the crowds. Well done University of Texas. That is how it should be done.

Threats of murder and rape and genocide are not protected free speech. No one has a right to tell Jewish students they should 'go back to Poland' to be genocided. No one has a right to get in a Jews face and scream 'we are Hamas. we know where you live'. That's terrorism. University of Texas took care of business ... real free speech is protected while terrorism and anarchy is not.

University of Texas Instantly Shuts Down Anti Israel Protests

University of Texas at Austin President Jay Hartzell released a statement Wednesday evening that unequivocally defended his decision to shut down an anti-Israel protest on campus, where more than 30 people were arrested.

"Today, our University held firm, enforcing our rules while protecting the Constitutional right to free speech. Peaceful protests within our rules are acceptable. Breaking our rules and policies and disrupting others’ ability to learn are not allowed. The group that led this protest stated it was going to violate Institutional Rules. Our rules matter, and they will be enforced. Our University will not be occupied," the president added.

"The protesters tried to deliver on their stated intent to occupy campus," President Hartzell continued. "People not affiliated with UT joined them, and many ignored University officials’ continual pleas for restraint and to immediately disperse. The University did as we said we would do in the face of prohibited actions. We were prepared, with the necessary support to maintain campus operations and ensure the safety, well-being and learning environment for our more than 50,000 students.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I feel like there is something that people say about Texas....

And yet, people still refuse to listen and continue to do dumb $#it then wonder why they get ran off or worse.

Good on UT Austin for sticking up for the safety and wellbeing of their students and not tolerating the rampant Antisemitism that is growing across this nation.

Hook'em!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Florida man says "only steers and queers come out of Texas"

Heard it too many times to count…

P.s. this is friendly banter and usually said directly to Texans - preceded or followed by comparison of cockroach sizes…

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Students should be able to peacefully protest, but if they interfere with the functions of the school, it makes sense to disperse them and keep the school functioning. People pay a lot of money for an education, someone else’s opinions shouldn’t interfere with someone’s paid education.

But for posterity, I’m just curious.

Do you have a source that there were measurable protesters doing the following-

Threats of murder and rape and genocide are not protected free speech. No one has a right to tell Jewish students they should 'go back to Poland' to be genocided.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Florida man says "only steers and queers come out of Texas"

Heard it too many times to count…

P.s. this is friendly banter and usually said directly to Texans - preceded or followed by comparison of cockroach sizes…

it's usually followed by "I don't see no horns on you boy".

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Do you have a source that there were measurable protesters doing the following-

Nope. They didn't get a chance to. They said they were going to do what Columbia did and that they were in solidarity with Columbia, and that is what is happening at Columbia, so U Texas didn't let the rot even get started. Good on UTexas.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:36 AM
link   

You can make arguments without hyperbole or accusing people of future crimes, I just did above.

People’s freedoms stop where mine begin. If I paid tens of thousands a year for an education, I wouldn’t want people thinking their political beliefs are more important than me getting my education.

But I also wouldn’t accuse them of antisemitism and calling for raping and killing unless I had evidence.

They claim their reason for protest was getting UT to divest from entities who manufacture arms used in the conflict. That sounds like standard college kid stuff. Doesn’t necessarily mean they want certain groups to be raped or killed. They’re just kids, maybe they’re even wrong. Maybe they’ll grow up and change their views.

Wasn’t the right upset when there were broad claims against them like being Nazis or bigots? This is the same thing. Sure there are some, but it shouldn’t be a blanket statement declared as fact.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Funny how a so-called Libertarian hates free speech.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer
Funny how a so-called Libertarian hates free speech.

Your free speech ends when it steps on the rights of others.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Threadbarer

Shutting down a college campus isn’t free speech.

If those protesters were protesting against LGBT issues would you still cheer them on?

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

If those protesters were protesting against LGBT issues would you still cheer them on?

I hope you are not expecting a non hypocritical answer?

They need to run these paid, terrorist supporting antisemitic clowns off the campuses by any means.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I know someone that works admin there. Nobody's learning was being disrupted.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Jewish students were uncomfortable and feared for their safety from the paid agitators.
edit on 25-4-2024 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Everyone is brave till the roaches start flying.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Jewish students were uncomfortable and feared for their safety from the paid agitators.

Do you have evidence of threats?

Plenty of protesters make people feel uncomfortable.

Slippery slope if we go down this road.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Because UT shut it down 3 minutes after it started.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

What are your thoughts on the arrest of J6 protesters?

link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Do you have evidence of threats?

The protestors said they were going to do exactly what Columbia did. And there are massive threats there and the campus is out of control and dangerous. UT took the proactive approach and didn't let the threats and 1938-Germany behavior even get started. It was the right thing to do.

link   

If it was shut down immediately how could it have infringed on anyone else's rights?

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:24 AM
link   

If it was shut down immediately how could it have infringed on anyone else's rights?

They were threatening to therefore the school acted proactively to stop it from happening. It was smart.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join