It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Poor Avocado Plant.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Have you introduced any new plants into your home recently?
IOW, could there be some pathogen or insect that has gotten your avocado or its dirt?

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Cheers for the input.

No, not any new plants.

And I'm not seeing any insects around the plant or on the soil.

How would I test for pathogens in the dirt?

I try but I'm not very green fingured as you can probably tell.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 02:49 PM
link   

If you haven't entered new plants, probably not in your soil.
IMHO.

Since no new plants, I'd say it needs a bigger pot.
And that Superthrive stuff....I'd say give that a try as well.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Will do, ive got the pots there.

Hopefully, she picks up.

I take it this is the stuff?

www.thegrowsuperstore.com... rganic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxOauBhCaARIsAEbUSQQrZcr_FEZVKktS_ivsWcPCl2uMMracFbBL5UxixKDDrC_QYdNxfXIaAhMXEALw_wcB

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I’m no botanist but I’d say she needs some sunlight!

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 03:19 PM
link   
G’day Andrew! Do you use fertiliser on that beast? If so when was the last time you did?

I can kill a plastic bramble but my brother has ten green thumbs and his plants took on that same appearance when he over fertilised (I believe he used a product called seasol)

They came back with not fertilising them for a period.

Otherwise I concur with the root bound diagnosis of those who have posted before me

Hope she comes good for you and the grom. Heaven have mercy if you ever move to a better growing climate or build a bit of a hothouse. You will have a triple canopy rainforest before you know it

Your a good egg for bringing nature into your habitat anywho, despite being a jive turkey sometimes.

edit on 24-2-2024 by Dalamax because: Eta

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

LoL

Ta i suppose Dalamax.

And cheers for the recommendations.

Think it was simply planted from a small root we grew in a mussels tub with toothpicks to a pot full of plant compost.

Ile add some fertilizer when I re-pot the big beastie.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Schawaka27

Im pretty good buddy but is February in Scotland.

I canny snap my claws and make the sunshine.

My names Andy, not Jesus.

I suppose I could supplement the natural light with an LED affair, but I just want her for show and not to grow Avocado(which granted would be nice).

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Like many said Bigger pot...Looks like overeating... Don't let them stand in the water, the "plate" you have the pot in is very high. If the lower roots are always in the water you might have some root rot...

If you repot, look for brown roots, cut them away if you find any.

Disclaimer I've grown many different plants but never an avocado... Maybe the earth is not drained enough or too much, or the issue is acidity but these factors are diffrent for every plant... So look them up...

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

I checked the bottom pot through and it was dry, so it's not sitting in water.

Aye, bigger pot I think.

My first time growing avocado Terpene, I'm not expecting fruit or anything like that anyhoo.

Ile know more when I change the pot.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Hopefully, she picks up.

I take it this is the stuff?

I hope so too, it is such a large plant already...I've never had such luck with plants from seed.
Tried grapefruit, avocados and a few others in my life.

Yes, that is the stuff

edit on Sat Feb 24 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: tried to fix code

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Ta.

Ive got another one going as well about 1/4 size.

And load of Cactus, Aloe Vera, and a fern we adopted.

I need to find us all new accoodations soon all the same.

Or we are all apt to be homeless and on the streets. LoL

I joke, but not really.

Anyhoo cheers for the input DTOM and good luck with whatever you're growing yourself.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Very similar growing conditions as basil except for the pH, avocado like it around 5-7 and basil likes 6-7.5

Keep the soil slightly moist similar to basil, high humidity and relatively warm. Soil wise John Innes No3 was suggested, I'd also imagine a bit vermiculite wouldn't go amiss either.

They seem fairly easy to grow overall so I think I'll try my own plants, make an outdoor cold frame for them with other plants that like it warm and wet

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Basil likes light well drained sandy earth, if I'm not mistaken?

The earth it's in, looks like a compost mix, maybe it's too much nutrients?

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 05:36 AM
link   

How long was she in that pot, before she startet to limp? Im asking because the earth on top looks rather fresh.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Before.

After.

Looks like she has picked up a little this morning after a good drink.

Still going to give her an upgrade and a larger pot + some fertiliser and new soil.

I generally only water my plants around once a week as well guess this big beastie gets thirsty more often.

Once again cheers for all the advice.

edit on 25-2-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 05:45 AM
link   

About a year Terpene or thereabouts, weird eh?

Probably do better in a larger pot.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 06:00 AM
link   

See what a difference a good watering does for an avoccado. I read something somewhere that avocado's are not a very 'green' crop because they consume so much water!!
Looking forward to seeing what she looks like and how fast she'll grow in a bigger pot.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Definitely too small of a pot to water once a week...

When the foliar volume and it's hight are bigger than the pot, you want to water every 3 days...
You can grow big plants in small pots, but you have to give more attention to the roots, and be precise with the nutrients and watering. When the roots have colonized the whole medium you have to control the dynamics as there is no wiggle room for the plant to adapt, meaning they can't go looking for nutrients or water anywhere...

also in your after Pic the discoloration on some leaves looks more prominent. Those discoloration are usually due to a lack of nutrients, there again things are different with each plant, but moderately adding some all-round fertilizer wont hurt with perennial pot plants. Let's put some emphasis on moderate, because with fertilizer, less is often more!
What also causes discoloration are pests, check the underside of the leaves for tiny things that shouldn't be there. They can be really small, like 0.2mm an their eggs even smaller.

She'll survive, she looks healthy just a little neglected

edit on 25-2-2024 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Loamy soil is suggested for both, John Innes no3 is a fairly rich mix so I'm guessing avocados are hungry feeders nutrients wise.

Last year I was letting my basil dry out between watering and they didn't like it, a few even got infected. I made an auto waterer using a toothpick, string and a bottle of water and they seemed to love being constantly moist but not wet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join