It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A recent interview with Richard Dolan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger2
Bob Bigelow is one of the most suspect characters in UFOlogy, so your stating his friendship with Mishlove is not elevating Mishlove's status in any way, if that was your intent. I said Mishlove was charismatic, which is a compliment, and reminded me of someone, I didn't say he was a cult leader, like the person he minds me of, so it wasn't intended as an insult.

John Mack was off the rails, so another association that isn't really elevating the status of his associates, if that's what you're trying to do. Did you read The Psychiatrist Who Flew Into Space and Never Came Back?

Anyway, yes Dolan is a grifter. Wasn't always so, but that's what happens when someone writes a good UFO book or two, but that's not enough to make a living, so they start UFO grifting to make a living. If you're not aware of this, you can read the threads about it.

Richard Dolan and the Roswell Slides
Another ufo researcher bites the dust
You can call these opinions if that makes you feel better, but much of what's in the above links are documented facts, like Dolan's involvement in the Roswell slides hoax, and even apparently defending it and his involvement, after the hoax was exposed.

originally posted by: Ophiuchus1
But the DNA of the lining stains that Ben Hansen picked up on, is a tangible physical element that imo should be further investigated.

That’s all I’m saying….

You and I have different curiosities….
Investigated why? What do you expect to find except the DNA of Betty and all of her associates who handled the dress over the years, and DNA from the microorganisms growing on the dress?

edit on 202422 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 05:40 AM
link   

edit on 2/2/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 07:10 AM
link   

edit on 2/2/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I understand that this subject can be quite fascinating, entertaining and intriguing (I'm a science fiction fan myself), but has anyone considered whether this subject is important or not?

Philippians 1:8-11:

For God is my witness of how I am longing for all of you with such tender affection as Christ Jesus has. And this is what I continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment; that you may make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not stumbling others up to the day of Christ; and that you may be filled with righteous fruit, which is through Jesus Christ, to God’s glory and praise.
edit on 2-2-2024 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
So, why aren't any of today's expert hackers getting into any secret space programs and spilling the beans?

It may seem like a tired old trope, but tropes don't become so for no reason, so I'll put forth Occam's Razor for the reason why it hasn't happened.

I'm all the time hearing how hackers find an ingress to bank records and steal a half million identities at once. How are hackers able to do that? By travelling through the door that banks leave wide open - they (and your account) are connected to the internet. It seems such a stupid thing to do to allow a way in to our sensitive information and our money, and you'd think banks are stupid for allowing it. My own theory is that they're not stupid, they're working on a deeper plan and it's allowed to happen. Whether that be a conspiracy theory or not, I don't know, but what would be the opposite of stupid behaviour such as this?

That would be to not connect important information to the internet in the first place. I'm sure that's why certain organizations haven't been hacked. It's because they know to keep the barn door locked so as to not give the horses a chance to get out. And that's not a conspiracy theory. It's just plain common sense.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I posted the interview link because I thought it was an interesting interview. Of course there are "more important things".

It's a forum about UFOlogy and aliens. Lighten up!!

A few ATS members liked the thread, a couple members don't believe Dolan's reports, and another member feels the need to prove they know everything there is to know about UFOlogy.

Exactly what one would expect from an internet chat board.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I used to have respect for Dolan after his first book which was good. But more recently he's got caught up in UFO grifting, and got caught up as a key figure in the Roswell slides fiasco which really gave UFOlogy a black eye, and I don't know if he ever apologized for that.

I too never believed in Lazar.
And you're right Dolaon's two UFO deep-state books are very good.

But what happens in these UFO career people, sooner or later they have to latch on to where the UFO wind blows.

As I posted earlier, when Dolan first started his intelligent Disclosure show he mentioned particularly he never went for the god or spiritual( ID stuff) or spooky UFO lore. Now he seems on board with this since this is where the UFO wind has blown...

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Station27

How can an advanced Space Program not be connected to the internet. To me it seems impossible to not be connected.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
Investigated why? What do you expect to find except the DNA of Betty and all of her associates who handled the dress over the years, and DNA from the microorganisms growing on the dress?

Any DNA of the liner in the area of where Hansen found it ….which has never been discovered before….should be tested. The area of those stains is said to be the area that would lay against her navel area. And since no sample swatches have ever been taken for testing…well a finding like that should be tested…..

Just recently, I did find a podcast uploaded 1 year ago in which Hansen is interviewed in which he states the stains he found have been tested…but doesn’t go on to elaborate ….only to mention his confidence in what happened to Betty is believable.

Did Hansen actually get the lining stains tested as he mentioned? That remains to be seen.

I’d like to know those results, if they exist, for my own edification.

Contacting him directly is fruitless unless I want to pay for access through some fan site…celebrities usually never post a direct way to contact them.

Hopefully….Hansen’s test results and analysis will turn up somewhere…..time will tell

Moving forward…

👽

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
I understand that this subject can be quite fascinating, entertaining and intriguing (I'm a science fiction fan myself), but has anyone considered whether this subject is important or not?

Philippians 1:8-11:

For God is my witness of how I am longing for all of you with such tender affection as Christ Jesus has. And this is what I continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment; that you may make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not stumbling others up to the day of Christ; and that you may be filled with righteous fruit, which is through Jesus Christ, to God’s glory and praise.

If scripture can't define exactly what is accurate knowledge and full discernment how are we to discern what are the important things - it is vague and open to interpretation.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: introufo2

As I posted earlier, when Dolan first started his intelligent Disclosure show he mentioned particularly he never went for the god or spiritual( ID stuff) or spooky UFO lore. Now he seems on board with this since this is where the UFO wind has blown...

The terms "spooky" or "spiritual" are relative. I know people who get "spooked" at the slightest hint of the paranormal. Even the term "paranormal" can be highly subjective. As far as the trends in ufology, my limited research has shown me that Vallee and Keel were talking about the "spooky" stuff decades ago. Now we have people like Diana Pasulka, who is confirming, through her research, that the spooky stuff and ufology are definitely intertwined. I think Dolan's research has brought him a long way. I don't see any signs of him being dishonest.

I think Dolan is an honest, serious researcher. If you agree with his critics that he's a grifter, fine. You're entitled to an opinion.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I don’t think Dolan is dishonest either. Just human. And subject to being enticed into something good or bad or in-between as most of us are.

But I do remember him saying precisely he didn’t go into the alien/UFO spiritual stuff.
That is inclusive of the spooky and sure there is a spectrum of that...

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I agree, it just seems to me that he is being open-minded and speculating with others about how PSI and the quantum consciousness may exist and/or play a part in alien contact. Just another explorer in my books.

richarddolanmembers.com...

From that source it looks mostly about PSI phenomenon.
edit on q00000011229America/Chicago0202America/Chicago2 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Station27

So, why aren't any of today's expert hackers getting into any secret space programs and spilling the beans?

It seems such a stupid thing to do [...]

Banks want to make money. Lots of it, and preferably without doing something substantial for it. So, instead of paying people that have to sit in an expensive building just to allow customers to get a loan, pay stuff or get cash for example, they rather take the risk of connecting their systems to the Internet and let you do the tellers work for free, actually: paying for it!.

So, I would not say the banks are stupid - if there is an entity that is stupid, it's us, as we have accepted this, actually pay for it, as it is very convenient to be able to do all of your banking from the insecurity of your home
edit on 2-2-2024 by ForteanOrg because: he added it

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 03:00 PM
link   
"Harder said the aliens had told abductees that they have a 20,000 year lifespan. "

Is that some kind of planetary conversion or relativistic data?.

For instance, Pleiadians count years based on complete rejuvenation of the cells which is weird because all cells regenerate at different rates. Neurons in the cerebral cortex and the cells that make up the lenses in our eyes do not rejuvenate. Anyway, that was in a paper while in an SAP. 😏

Planetary rotations do not make accurate lifespan metrics. Thats my point.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger2

I posted the interview link because I thought it was an interesting interview. Of course there are "more important things".

It's a forum about UFOlogy and aliens. Lighten up!!

Thank you for sharing that. I'm about as 'light' as I can be, just curious.

No need to point out the obvious (that the thread is appropiate for this subforum or that people respond in different ways).

"Interesting" almost means the same thing as "intriguing" (guess I could have added "interesting" to my list of descriptions as well). In my case, I don't find it that interesting cause these type of threads are a dime a dozen (as is to be expected from this subforum of course, but have you noticed this subforum has almost the most comments on ATS, it is the most common specific subject that people like to talk about, the only other subforum that has even more comments is the first one listed in the "forums" section, "breaking alternative news", which is a more general category; also because it's listed first it gets more comments for that reason*).

*: now that phenomenon, I find a lot more interesting. It makes me wonder: What is this fascination with "aliens&UFO's", where does it come from? Could there be someone specific that uses this topic to distract from the more important things (using this topic specifically as one of his main tools for that)? Cause sci-fi is less popular in the entertainment industry in comparison, there are more shows like all the different versions of CSI, or if you happen to stumble on a sci-fi show, it usually doesn't involve aliens or spaceships, it's often more fantasy than sci-fi (like the superhero shows, or a show like Medium about the paranormal). They do have 1 channel in my country that has Sci-Fi sunday, where the whole day they show shows like Star Trek. It's great, and more entertaining to me than this subforum (now they also have to show Stargate, which they haven't done yet).

UFO’s—Can They Be Identified? (Awake!—1990)

Is There an Occult Influence?

When reviewing the mental or psychological experiences of some who have reported contacts with UFO’s, it is also possible to recognize similarities with spiritistic or other paranormal phenomena. One example of this is the testimony of John H. Andrews in his book The Extraterrestrials and Their Reality. In his acknowledgments of help in producing the book, he states: “Great appreciation also goes to the four space people [“ET’s in physical human bodies who circulate unnoticed among us”] who told me their stories and who wished to remain unnamed, to the numerous psychics and channels who assisted me with my many experiments, to the extraterrestrials for their many informative messages.” Regarding these “space people,” he states: “They were all quite intelligent; all were channels for invisible entities.”​—Compare 1 Samuel 28:7, 8; Ephesians 6:12.

Andrews also claims to have received messages from extraterrestrials. He lists some of these as: “There is no such thing as death. . . . There is no such thing as good or evil. [Compare Genesis 3:3, 4.] . . . Creation, evolution, and reincarnation are valid processes at work in the Universe. . . . We (the ET’s) are not here to control or rule you, but to guide you. . . . The Earth will soon undergo tremendous, cataclysmic changes. When these changes are completed, less than 1/1,000 of the present population will still be alive!”

The Bible also speaks of extraterrestrials, spirit creatures, such as obedient angels and disobedient, rebellious angels who became demons. Down through Bible history, God on many occasions used faithful angels to communicate with men. (Genesis 22:9-18; Isaiah 6:1-7) Satan still uses his demon followers to mislead mankind with all kinds of philosophies, fads, messages, communications, and cults that distract from the message that God’s Kingdom, his heavenly government, will soon rule over a restored earth.​—Compare Luke 4:33, 34; James 2:19; Revelation 12:9; 21:1-4.

The Christian apostle Paul gave due warning of demon influence in the last days when he wrote: “The inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons.”​—1 Timothy 4:1.

Keeping in mind how deep we are into these apocalyptic days, it would not be advisable for Christians to spend their valuable time investigating in depth matters of this kind. Rather, we should concern ourselves with the more important challenge at hand, that is, obeying the command of the extraterrestrial holy angel who proclaimed: “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of the judgment by him has arrived, and so worship the One who made the heaven and the earth and sea and fountains of waters.”​—Revelation 14:6, 7.

“In nearly forty years of investigation, not one authentic photo of a UFO has been taken and not one piece of genuine debris or other physical evidence has been found. Impressive-sounding sightings are reported year after year and, year after year, when carefully examined, they disappear into the mists of misperceptions, misidentifications, and hoaxes.”​—Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, by Terence Hines.

“Much of the trouble arises from the fact that the sky presents an almost endless variety of peculiar sights and objects, only a few of which are likely to be encountered by one person in a lifetime. And when this does happen, he may be misled into thinking that he has seen something extraordinary​—instead of merely unfamiliar. . . .

“Seldom has any subject been so invested with fraud, hysteria, credulity, religious mania, incompetence, and most of the other unflattering human characteristics.”​—The Promise of Space, by Arthur C. Clarke. [whereislogic: true, I can see that right here on ATS.]

“I should like to see these profound words inscribed on the threshold of all the temples of science: ‘The greatest derangement of the mind is to believe in something because one wishes it to be so.’”​—Louis Pasteur, 19th-century French scientist.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 04:34 PM
link   

If scripture can't define exactly what is accurate knowledge and full discernment how are we to discern what are the important things - it is vague and open to interpretation.

Well, there are already some clues as to what "more important things" it is referring to there, in the subsequent verses that I quoted. I was trying not to make my comment too long by going into too much detail, since it could be viewed as being too off-topic, even though, technically, God, angels and demons are all aliens (extraterrestrials). Note what is identified as the topics people are distracted from with this subject, in the bolded part from the article about UFO's that I just quoted one section from in response to ColeYounger2, entitled "Is There an Occult Influence?" (that very question and accompanying topics not that often discussed when the subject of UFO's & aliens comes up, or in this subforum; almost as if people are not interested in that question, discussing it, or contemplating it; perhaps someone doesn't want people to think about the right/truthful answer to that question, does not want them to realize something) Now that question (and a truthful answer), is quite interesting and important to me.

There is also a Bible reference behind the phrase: "that you may make sure of the more important things" in the translation I'm using. Now that I've better explained how this subject ties into the more (or most) important teachings of the Bible (see article I quoted from), I will quote that one here now as well (and bold what the Bible is referring to as being "more important"). Romans 12:2:

“And stop being molded by this system of things,* [Or “this age.”] but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

It does seem like this system of things (or especially the modern age) is molding people's minds to take more of an interest in aliens & UFO's (and the occult and paranormal if you consider the entertainment industry as well) instead, doesn't it? Here's another text about "this system of things" (or as some people on ATS might call it: "this matrix"):

“If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination* [Or “light.”] of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.”

Can I now elaborate on what good news about the Christ this text is referring to without it being deemed too off-topic? In short, it is speaking about the Kingdom of God, over which Jesus Christ has been appointed King by God, and which is right on our doorstep (not much time left for the current system of things, with another ruler and god). The main theme in the Bible (hence, one of those more important things the Bible is talking about, and every related subject). I'll keep it short like that, just wanted to briefly mention why it is good news, cause it will solve all mankind's problems, create global unity amongst mankind, causing an end to all war, it will put an end to death, disease and sorrow. As it says here:

Revelation 21:4,5:

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

5 And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also he says: “Write, for these words are faithful* [Or “trustworthy.”] and true.”

Understanding (Aid to Bible Understanding)

RELATIONSHIP TO KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM

Understanding must be based on knowledge, and works with knowledge, though it is itself more than mere knowledge. The extent and worth of one’s understanding is measurably affected by the quantity and quality of one’s knowledge. Knowledge is acquaintance with facts, and the greatest and most fundamental fact is God, his existence, his invincible purpose, his ways. Understanding enables the person to relate the knowledge he acquires to God’s purpose and standards and thereby assess or evaluate such knowledge. The “understanding heart is one that searches for knowledge”; it is not satisfied with a mere superficial view but seeks to get the full picture. (Prov. 15:14) Knowledge must become ‘pleasant to one’s very soul’ if discernment is to safeguard one from perversion and deception.—Prov. 2:10, 11; 18:15.

Proverbs 1:1-6 shows that the “man of understanding is the one who acquires skillful direction, to understand a proverb and a puzzling saying, the words of wise persons and their riddles.” These must not be things said merely to pass the time away in idle conversation, for wise persons would not customarily waste time in such manner, but must refer to instruction, questions and problems that discipline and train the mind and heart in right principles, thereby equipping the learner for wise action in the future. (Compare Psalm 49:3, 4.) Knowledge and understanding together bring wisdom, which is the “prime thing,” the ability to bring a fund of knowledge and keen understanding to bear on problems with successful results. (Prov. 4:7) The person who is rightly motivated seeks understanding, not out of mere curiosity or to exalt himself, but for the very purpose of acting in wisdom; ‘wisdom is before his face.’ (Prov. 17:24) He is not like those in the apostle Paul’s day who assumed to be teachers of others but were “puffed up with pride, not understanding anything,” unwisely letting themselves become “mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words,” things that produce disunity and a host of bad results.—1 Tim. 6:3-5; see KNOWLEDGE; WISDOM.

GAINING TRUE UNDERSTANDING

The person seeking true understanding prays to God: “Make me understand, that I may observe your law and that I may keep it with the whole heart. . . . that I may keep living.” (Ps. 119:34, 144, also 27, 73, 125, 169) This is the right motive. The apostle prayed for the Colossian Christians that they might be “filled with the accurate knowledge of [God’s] will in all wisdom and spiritual discernment [syʹne·sis], in order to walk worthily of Jehovah.”—Col. 1:9, 10.

... Jehovah, the “Ancient of Days” (Dan. 7:13), has understanding infinitely superior to all mankind, whose days still cover only a few thousand years and who do not even understand just how the planet they live on came to be formed. (Job 38:4-13, 21) Hence, God’s written Word is a principal means for gaining understanding.—Ps. 119:30.

... Serious ‘consideration’ (Heb., bin) of the history of earlier generations can bring understanding, and older persons are often familiar with this. (Deut. 32:7) Association should be sought, not with “inexperienced ones,” but with the wise, feeding on their counsel and instruction so as to “keep living, and walk straight in the way of understanding.” (Prov. 9:5, 6) Listening and also observing, the person can cease to be naive and credulous, can “understand shrewdness” and avoid many bitter experiences.—Prov. 8:4, 5. [whereislogic: such as demonic harassment resulting from an interest into the occult, spiritistic and paranormal phenomena, and aliens such as demons. Basically becoming a bit like those who have reported contacts with UFO’s, like John H. Andrews mentioned in the article about UFO's that I was quoting from before.]

This song has been stuck in my head the whole day. First I couldn't figure out which one it was, or what the lyrics were, but I did notice I was quite joyful and happy, more so than usual (there was a specific reason for that related to the topic of understanding that I don't really want to go into too much detail about now):

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Thanks for the follow-up comments. I didn't mean to sound like an ass, as I sometimes do. I just thought some people would be interested in the Dolan interview. As far as the demonic aspect, I have read a good deal about the demonic theories, and I do believe some of them are pretty solid. I once heard a long interview with a researcher that really freaked me out. It was on a radio show 10 years ago or more. At first I thought he was a bit wacky, but he made a really good case for some of the abduction accounts being demons. The more he spoke, the more credible his evidence became. He was like a lawyer making his case in court.

The late professor Michael Heiser, who was a Bible scholar, discussed cases where the abductees prayed or invoked Jesus' name, and the aliens left them alone! Heiser has also discussed abduction cases he had heard of where the aliens performed "experiments" that were strikingly similar to the abuses performed in satanic rituals.

edit on 2-2-2024 by ColeYounger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

UFO’s—Can They Be Identified? (Awake!—1990)

Is There an Occult Influence?

Andrews also claims to have received messages from extraterrestrials. He lists some of these as: “There is no such thing as death. . . . There is no such thing as good or evil. [Compare Genesis 3:3, 4.] . . . Creation, evolution, and reincarnation are valid processes at work in the Universe. . . . We (the ET’s) are not here to control or rule you, but to guide you. . . . The Earth will soon undergo tremendous, cataclysmic changes. When these changes are completed, less than 1/1,000 of the present population will still be alive!”

The Bible also speaks of extraterrestrials, spirit creatures, such as obedient angels and disobedient, rebellious angels who became demons. ... Satan still uses his demon followers to mislead mankind with all kinds of philosophies, fads, messages, communications, and cults that distract from the message that God’s Kingdom, his heavenly government, will soon rule over a restored earth.​—Compare Luke 4:33, 34; James 2:19; Revelation 12:9; 21:1-4.

The Christian apostle Paul gave due warning of demon influence in the last days when he wrote: “The inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons.”​—1 Timothy 4:1. ...

Coming back to those specific teachings that I now bolded as well, one at a time:

“There is no such thing as death.

Genesis 3:3,4:

But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’” 4 At this the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die.

Myth 1: The Soul Is Immortal (One Myth Leads to Another)

Next one:

There is no such thing as good or evil.

I think we are all quite familiar with God's teachings concerning good or evil in the Bible (His word). Are you beginning to see a pattern here? These teachings are all the exact opposite of what God is teaching people, actually, they fall perfectly in line with what the Bible says God's opponent, "the serpent" a.k.a. Satan the Devil (meaning “Resister” and “Slanderer” respectively), a.k.a. "the god of this system of things" (2 Cor 4:4) and "ruler of this world" (John 14:30) "who is misleading the entire inhabited earth" (Rev. 12:9), is teaching people.

Next one:

Creation, evolution, and reincarnation are valid processes at work in the Universe.

When one combines creation (by God, not talking about the concept known as directed panspermia, i.e. creation by aliens from another planet as shown in the movie Prometheus) and evolution, you get the concept of theistic evolution, as promoted by the Roman Catholic Kenneth Miller with his #2 chromosome fusion myth. When one combines evolution with reincarnation, you get to these ancient Pagan Hindu teachings, which also includes some remarks about the idea/philosophy of humans evolving into beings of pure spirit/energy, gods/angels basically (in the Bible angels are also called gods, one definition for the Hebrew word that is rendered "gods", is "spirit beings" or "heavenly beings"; the more general and inclusive definition is "mighty ones"), an idea that is also promoted in the TV show Stargate, where they talk about "ancients" (human or humanlike beings) evolving into beings of pure energy/spirit, and in so doing, gain enlightenment and near full understanding of the universe (of course, 'we' can't abandon South Park's Agnostic Code and the philosophy of relativism as we write about these ideas/philosophies, basically the idea that 'we' can't know anything for certain; "we" is referring to the Stargate writers in this case):

The Pagan Religious Roots of Evolutionary Philosophies and Philosophical Naturalism (part 1 of 2)
The Pagan Religious Roots of Evolutionary Philosophies and Philosophical Naturalism (part 2 of 2)

Next one:

The Earth will soon undergo tremendous, cataclysmic changes. When these changes are completed, less than 1/1,000 of the present population will still be alive!

"Come, I will tell you about the conclusion of the system of things, " (that's a quote from the Bible I think but I'm having some trouble finding it exactly like that, perhaps the subject was described a bit different, I like that expression as an open invitation to listen and pay attention, anyway...). Matthew 24:3-39 (skipping a few verses here and there, so as to not make this too long, this conversation takes place just after the famous "Sermon on the Mount" referring to the Mount of Olives, even by many non-Christians considered to be the very best teachings Jesus had to offer, so that would be the preceding chapters, this conversation was more private):

3 While he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?”

4 In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you, 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. 6 You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet.

7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

9 “Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name. 10 Then, too, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will arise and mislead many; 12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold. 13 But the one who has endured to the end will be saved. 14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

15 “Therefore, when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken about by Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place (let the reader use discernment), 16 then let those in Ju·deʹa begin fleeing to the mountains. . . .

23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will perform great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. 25 Look! I have forewarned you. . . .

29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in grief, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.* [Or possibly, “with great power and glory.”] 31 And he will send out his angels with a great trumpet sound, and they will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from one extremity of the heavens to their other extremity.

32 “Now learn this illustration from the fig tree: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and sprouts its leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. . . .

36 “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39 and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be.

So, these "invisible entities" teaching John H. Andrews wanna take credit for this one as well? Well, then they should at least add some more detail and stop plagiarizing (not crediting the source).

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I missed one:

We (the ET’s) are not here to control or rule you, but to guide you.

Yeah sure, mislead us you mean. But you sure are keen to 'teach' us, it's just that your teachings and stories are not beneficial to any of us, and they certainly don't wake up any of us to the game you're playing on us, your scam.

“For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome* [Or “healthful; beneficial.”] teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.* [Or “to tell them what they want to hear.”] They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.” (2 Timothy 4:3,4)

“So we should no longer be children, tossed about as by waves and carried here and there by every wind of teaching by means of the trickery of men, by means of cunning in deceptive schemes.” (Ephesians 4:14)

“Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;” “We have much to say about him, and it is difficult to explain, because you have become dull in your hearing. For although by now* [Lit., “in view of the time.”] you should be teachers, you again need someone to teach you from the beginning the elementary things of the sacred pronouncements of God, and you have gone back to needing milk, not solid food. For everyone who continues to feed on milk is unacquainted with the word of righteousness, for he is a young child. But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their powers of discernment* [Or “their perceptive powers.”] trained to distinguish both right and wrong.” (Col 2:8; Hebrews 5:11-14)

“However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron.”(1 Timothy 4:1,2).

Knowledge (Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2)

Knowledge (gno'sis) is put in a very favorable light in the Christian Greek Scriptures. However, not all that men may call “knowledge” is to be sought, because philosophies and views exist that are “falsely called ‘knowledge.’” (1Ti 6:20) ...
... Thus Paul wrote about some who were learning (taking in knowledge) “yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge [...] of truth.” (2Ti 3:6, 7)

“... having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power and from these turn away. From among these arise men who slyly work their way into households and captivate weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.” (2Ti 3:5-7)

“Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you, turning away from the empty speeches that violate what is holy and from the contradictions of the falsely called ‘knowledge.’ By making a show of such knowledge, some have deviated from the faith.

May the undeserved kindness be with you.” (1Ti 6:20,21)

How does God view the “wisdom” offered by human philosophy?

1 Cor. 1:19-25: “It is written: ‘I will make the wisdom of the wise men perish, and the intelligence of the intellectual men I will shove aside.’ Where is the wise man? Where the scribe? Where the debater of this system of things? Did not God make the wisdom of the world foolish? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not get to know God, God saw good through the foolishness [as it appears to the world] of what is preached to save those believing. . . . Because a foolish thing of God [as the world views it] is wiser than men, and a weak thing of God [as the world may see it] is stronger than men.” (Such a viewpoint on God’s part is certainly not arbitrary or unreasonable. He has provided in the Bible, the most widely circulated book in the world, a clear statement of his purpose. He has sent his witnesses to discuss it with all who will listen. How foolish for any creature to think that he has wisdom greater than that of God!)

Source: Philosophy (Reasoning From the Scriptures)

“Woe to those who say that good is bad and bad is good,

Those who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness,

Those who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

Woe to those wise in their own eyes

And discreet in their own sight!” (Isaiah 5:20,21)

Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda! (Awake!—2000)

“A fool will believe anything.”—PROVERBS 14:15, TODAY’S ENGLISH VERSION.

THERE is a difference—a big difference—between education and propaganda. Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion. Often their real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target.

The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure—so they say.

How can you protect yourself from the types of people that the Bible calls “profitless talkers” and “deceivers of the mind”? (Titus 1:10) Once you are familiar with some of their tricks, you are in a better position to evaluate any message or information that comes your way. Here are some ways to do this.

Be selective: A completely open mind could be likened to a pipe that lets just anything flow through it—even sewage. No one wants a mind contaminated with poison. Solomon, a king and educator in ancient times, warned: “Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.” (Proverbs 14:15) So we need to be selective. We need to scrutinize whatever is presented to us, deciding what to accept and what to reject. [whereislogic: more on that later under "Put information to the test:"]

However, we do not want to be so narrow that we refuse to consider facts that can improve our thinking. How can we find the right balance? By adopting a standard with which to measure new information. Here a Christian has a source of great wisdom. He has the Bible as a sure guide for his thinking. On the one hand, his mind is open, that is, receptive to new information. He properly weighs such new information against the Bible standard and fits what is true into his pattern of thinking. On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible-based values.

Use discernment: [whereislogic: there it is again] Discernment is “acuteness of judgment.” It is “the power or faculty of the mind by which it distinguishes one thing from another.” A person with discernment perceives subtleties of ideas or things and has good judgment.

Using discernment, we will be able to recognize those who are merely using “smooth talk and complimentary speech” in order to “seduce the hearts of guileless ones.” (Romans 16:18) Discernment enables you to discard irrelevant information or misleading facts and distinguish the substance of a matter. But how can you discern when something is misleading?

Put information to the test: “Beloved ones,” said John, a first-century Christian teacher, “do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions.” (1 John 4:1) Some people today are like sponges; they soak up whatever they come across. It is all too easy to absorb whatever is around us.

But it is far better for each individual personally to choose what he will feed his mind. It is said that we are what we eat, and this can apply to food for both the body and the mind. No matter what you are reading or watching or listening to, test to see whether it has propagandistic overtones or is truthful.

Moreover, if we want to be fair-minded, we must be willing to subject our own opinions to continual testing as we take in new information. We must realize that they are, after all, opinions. Their trustworthiness depends on the validity of our facts, on the quality of our reasoning, and on the standards or values that we choose to apply.

Ask questions: As we have seen, there are many today who would like to ‘delude us with persuasive arguments.’ (Colossians 2:4) Therefore, when we are presented with persuasive arguments, we should ask questions.

First, examine whether there is bias. What is the motive for the message? If the message is rife with name-calling and loaded words, why is that? Loaded language aside, what are the merits of the message itself? Also, if possible, try to check the track record of those speaking. Are they known to speak the truth? If “authorities” are used, who or what are they? Why should you regard this person—or organization or publication—as having expert knowledge or trustworthy information on the subject in question? If you sense some appeal to emotions, ask yourself, ‘When viewed dispassionately, what are the merits of the message?’

Do not just follow the crowd: [whereislogic: like the rather crowded Aliens&UFO's subforum] If you realize that what everybody thinks is not necessarily correct, you can find the strength to think differently. While it may seem that all others think the same way, does this mean that you should? Popular opinion is not a reliable barometer of truth. Over the centuries all kinds of ideas have been popularly accepted, only to be proved wrong later. Yet, the inclination to go along with the crowd persists. The command given at Exodus 23:2 serves as a good principle: “You must not follow after the crowd for evil ends.”

True Knowledge Versus Propaganda

Previously, it was mentioned that the Bible is a sure guide for clear thinking. Jehovah’s Witnesses unequivocally subscribe to Jesus’ statement to God: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) This is so because God, the Author of the Bible, is “the God of truth.”—Psalm 31:5. [whereislogic: and of course the evidence for this statement, but that wasn't the point here. Just a reminder for those thinking about "circular reasoning" now.]

Yes, in this age of sophisticated propaganda, we can confidently look to Jehovah’s Word as the source of truth. Ultimately this will protect us from those who want to ‘exploit us with counterfeit words.’—2 Peter 2:3.
Some of the evidence I was alluding to above (besides the human psychology, attitudes and behaviour so well demonstrated here on ATS, including where their interests lie and what they feed their minds with): Real science, knowledge of realities compared to unverified philosophies and stories (playlist)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join