It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A cargo plane is forced to land in Miami after an engine malfunction sends sparks flying midair

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 09:09 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

An Atlas air 747 had an engine failure about 3 mins after takeoff. Prompting a mayday call for return to the MIA. The fire was recorded by witness on the ground. The was able to safely land at MIA. Investigation incoming.

An Atlas Air cargo flight made an emergency landing late Thursday after an engine malfunctioned, according to the carrier.

According to FlightAware, the flight was in the air for 14 minutes. The incident appears to have started about three minutes into the flight. It prompted a mayday call from the cockpit, according to air traffic recordings.

The issue sent sparks flying through the air over Miami. The plane landed safely shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday.

The plane’s crew had reported an engine failure, according to a statement from the Federal Aviation Administration. The plane was en route to Puerto Rico, the FAA said.

Atlas Air told CNN the crew followed all standard procedures and safely returned to Miami International Airport.

This link has video of the plane engine on fire as it's flying.

www.local10.com...

Found a YT link.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Idiocracy and unspoken (?) crisis of knowledge/trade skill loss ramping up.

Blog about the topic with pertinent information from military pilots

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Boeing again! Thank goodness it was a cargo plane. Also that video was taken from a cellphone on the ground and there does not seem to be any problem with video quality in terms of identification.
edit on q00000017131America/Chicago4545America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I'm not sure if aircraft incidents are becoming more common, or if we're just hearing about them more.

But it sure seems like the former.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
Boeing again! Thank goodness it was a cargo plane. Also that video was taken from a cellphone on the ground and there does not seem to be any problem with video quality in terms of identification.

This might not have anything to do with Boeing quality.
They get the blame of course..
The engine is made by one of a few manufacturers like GE, Pratt and Whitney etc. and could be a maintenance issue cause by the airline.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Just came across the video on TikTok. Might be the original.

www.tiktok.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

From what I've seen before. Atlas operates 747 in Miami.

Their website says that they operate 747, 777,767 and 737.

www.atlasair.com...

Also found this on X.
twitter.com...

NEW INFO: FAA says “post flight inspection revealed a SOFTBALL SIZE HOLE above the #2 engine” of Atlas Air Boeing 747-8 cargo flight that suffered an engine fire over Miami late Thursday.

Successful emergency landing, great work by the crew!

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 10:44 AM
link   

It was an engine failure. After it landed, the FAA found a "softball sized hole" in what I think is the top of the engine cowling. Most likely a fan blade tip broke off and got flung through the engine cowl. The 747-8 airframe is one of the safest--I don't believe any of them have ever been lost. That probably went into choosing the 747-8 as the basis for the next generation of the Presidential aircraft ("Air Force one").

The engines (GEnx) are made by General Electric and there have been a handful of similar engine failures like this in the past.

Probably not Boeing's fault this time.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I'm not sure if aircraft incidents are becoming more common, or if we're just hearing about them more.

I don't think the rate of incidents is up. The 737 door issue made a lot of headlines (and continues to). When you think about the number of aircraft in service, incidents are almost nil.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: watchitburn

I don't think the rate of incidents is up. The 737 door issue made a lot of headlines (and continues to). When you think about the number of aircraft in service, incidents are almost nil.

That's the thing people don't seem to understand. They are far more likely to die driving to the airport than they are flying.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 07:41 PM
link   
There's a good review of this incident in the following YouTube video:

One thing I'll point out is that it looks like the crew and ATC did a perfect job handling the situation. These folks are still some of the best.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Boeing doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. This plane was built 8 years ago, and the engine is built by GE.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I used to get 6-7 emergency alerts a day some days. Other days, zero. They've been happening for a long time, just social media means there's more exposure to some.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The 747 is the most common airframe that they use. Counting their passenger aircraft, they have something like 54 747s out of 110 aircraft in their fleet.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The propaganda is working. I know quite a few pwople who have decided the'd rather drive across country than ever fly again.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

It’s always cute when the people that know crap about planes or aviation see stories like this and lose their minds.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boomer1947

It was an engine failure. After it landed, the FAA found a "softball sized hole" in what I think is the top of the engine cowling. Most likely a fan blade tip broke off and got flung through the engine cowl. The 747-8 airframe is one of the safest--I don't believe any of them have ever been lost. That probably went into choosing the 747-8 as the basis for the next generation of the Presidential aircraft ("Air Force one").

The engines (GEnx) are made by General Electric and there have been a handful of similar engine failures like this in the past.

Probably not Boeing's fault this time.

Well Boeing did choose this type of engine from GE and just looking back in time to 2012 there were quality and safety issues with that engine, yet they still chose it, so there's more to look at than just the type of engine, there's the decision-making at the top levels.

www.arabianbusiness.com...

www.wired.com...
edit on q00000050131America/Chicago2121America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It’s always cute when the people that know crap about planes or aviation see stories like this and lose their minds.

I think fear of flying may be more common among people than no fear of flying and all these news stories focusing on the relatively rare incidents aren't helping.

It's cute how the media focuses on fear-based reporting while many real world events never get spoken of.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Of course they do. People don’t want to hear about the 149 flights out of their airport that safely landed. They want to hear about the 1 that ended in near disaster.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Of course they do. People don’t want to hear about the 149 flights out of their airport that safely landed. They want to hear about the 1 that ended in near disaster.

Different people want to hear about different things regarding the safety of flying, me, on the other hand, I want to know the reasons behind the failures that nearly or do ultimately end in disaster.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join