It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid State tax story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   
States and their tax schemes are out of control.

I got stationed in Virginia in late 2012. In Jan of 2013 they sent me a personal property tax bill for $800+ for my car that I had bought 2 years earlier in California.

I don't know what kind of shady legal gymnastics that allowed them to come up with that but I ended up just having to send them proof I was active duty and got an exemption.

I left Virginia in 2016, fast forward to last week. I get another tax bill from Virginia for about $200.

I call them up like WTF?!

They said my exemption expired 2 years ago when I retired and owed them the money.

In the intervening time the car had been registered in 3 other States and I traded it in about 2 years ago.

They said I had to provide proof that it had been registered in another state.

Proof of a registration for a car I sold 2 years ago.

Luckily I was able to find a PDF copy after digging through a couple years of emails I had.

This whole thing is completely insane.

ETA: Throughout that whole time my legal State of record for taxes was PA until I moved to TX when I retired.

It's madness!
edit on 16-11-2023 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2023 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

That's the government for you..
They don't have to prove that you owe them, you have to prove that you don't.

posted on Nov, 16 2023 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone

That's what I told the lady I talked to.

I had tried sending an email confirmation from the notary office in AZ, because their so spread out they let non-State offices provide registration services. But she wouldn't take it.

Oh, and California had tried getting a couple hundred bucks from me too when I went to get the title for the car. They didn't get sh!t either.

posted on Nov, 17 2023 @ 06:00 AM
link   

That’s nothing, wait until you ever have to deal with the gestapo in Kalifornia. The franchise tax board.

They make People like us do the work to proof we didn’t, when it should be the other way.

posted on Nov, 17 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

No chance.

I spent about 8 years total stationed there. There are no circumstances that could exist that will ever lead to me going back.

Some guys I deployed with in '04 wanted to have a reunion out there a few years ago. I told them no, anywhere but there. I recommended Vegas. But it didn't happen.

I refuse to spend any money in that State that could be used to support those commies.

posted on Nov, 17 2023 @ 02:00 PM
link   

My lawyer said if I don’t ever plan on buying land in Cali to tell them to pound sand, Funk that state.

posted on Nov, 17 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If you were to wake up one morning and say first thing in the morning: "Hi I'm Johnny Knoxville; Welcome to Jackass."

Taxes would likely be; Countless boxes of them unexpectedly thrown on and at you and your friends... in your seats thrown right before yous guys jump on a trampoline etc.

So perhaps "taxes" could be worse.

new topics

top topics

join