It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Degree in magic to be offered at University of Exeter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I thought this was odd, but then again, the way the occult is flourishing, maybe not so odd. A 'MA' in magic is being offered by this university in the UK. I assume their 'MA' is the same as an 'MA' in the United States, being a Masters degree. If that's wrong, someone correct me. Actual magic isn't being taught ... yet. This is teaching about magic in western art and literature, King Arthur, things like that. The school says this prepares students for a career in teaching, councselling, mentoring, heritage and museum work, work in libraries, tourism, the arts, etc. How on earth does studying about dragons and King Arthur prepare someone for a career anywhere? I just don't see it. Strangely enough, this degree is offered in the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies. Last I heard, Islam isn't keen on witchcraft or women's studies.

BBC News

A degree in magic being offered in 2024 will be one of the first in the UK, the University of Exeter has said. The "innovative" MA in Magic and Occult Science has been created following a "recent surge in interest in magic", the course leader said. It would offering an opportunity to study the history and impact of witchcraft and magic around the world on society and science, bosses said.

Academics with expertise in history, literature, philosophy, archaeology, sociology, psychology, drama, and religion will show the role of magic on the West and the East. The university said it was one of the only postgraduate courses of its kind in the UK to combine the study of the history of magic with such a wide range of other subjects.

The university said the course could prepare students for careers in teaching, counselling, mentoring, heritage and museum work, work in libraries, tourism, arts organisations or the publishing industry, among other areas of work. A choice of modules includes dragons in western literature and art, the legend of King Arthur, palaeography, Islamic thought, archaeological theory and practice and the depiction of women in the Middle Ages.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

While I think learning about most things is fun, and I certainly dig the history component of that curriculum…

It’s completely worthless.

From my seat… here’s the reality of that program:

- Charge people 10s of thousands of dollars/lbs to get this masters degree.
- Foolish people who “think it’s interesting/cool/neat/fun” pay the money and get this degree.
- They graduate and end up making jack squat for income.
- They are then burdened by massive student loan debt on a bleak income because they didn’t actually get a degree that would help them earn a healthy income.
- The aggrieved former students become upset that they don’t make money/“ma’ loans!”/etc. and can’t figure out why they’re making squat for money but are “so smart!”
- Said self-proclaimed intelligent people then become slaves to their loans, bitter because no one gives AF about their so-called useless “intelligence”, and then they try and get a “good job” and fail miserably because they’re not actually smart and are about as gritty as a babies bottom.

Rinse and repeat.

It’s just a way to lure the “mom’s basement” dwellers into long-term financial dependency via student loans.

Garbage.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:04 AM
link   

It's teaching about folkolore and historical writings. Nothing wrong with that and not even pushing "magic".

Witchcraft, if real or not, made it's impact on history, so why not teach about it? That is probably why the Arabic institute sees no offense in it, because it's not implying that magic exists, it's merely teaching about the phenomenon. They may also, as stated, just take this opportunity to earn some more money.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:08 AM
link   

It's to make Hogwarts more diverse!!

All joking aside
Britain does have a long history of things like witchcraft, alchemy, and the occult. Because of interest in things like Harry Potter, I imagine it's created some discussions in the study of the history of magic. Back in 2018 the British Library did a "Harry Potter, A brief History of Magic" exhibition...
www.bl.uk...

edit on 6-10-2023 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: VulcanWerks
And since they can't get a job they invent a job and then teach that to other people. Hah.
Round n round.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Sounds great fun. If people are interested in the subject and can afford to fund themselves then why not. In addition another excuse for drinking games, chasing girls, not entering the 'real' world

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:19 AM
link   

That sounds like it would be a fun class. Only a class and not a degree.

From the title I was expecting more of a rabbit and hat type thing. I was wondering how magicians became that popular all of a sudden?

As said above, just another way to separate not so smart people from their money. They are just smart enough to know they need to know something but not smart enough to know what will make them a living from the knowledge.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
And since they can't get a job they invent a job and then teach that to other people. Hah.
Round n round.

Truth.

“Get an MA in Chode Studies”

That’d be more useful than the program in the OP - likely more profitable, too.

Sigh.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Mental but sadly not suprising,

I studied/worked at a University that taught Homeopathy as an MSc

I pointed out that the person who approved the course sold MP3 'vaccines' for AIDS and Malaria that were old jazz records but the University made it illegal for any actual scientists to review course info based on commercially sensitive grounds.

I may or may not have accidentally emailed the course material to rellevant scientific bodies and thankfully the course was banned.
edit on 6-10-2023 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

It's to make Hogwarts more diverse!!

All joking aside
Britain does have a long history of things like witchcraft, alchemy, and the occult. Because of interest in things like Harry Potter, I imagine it's created some discussions in the study of the history of magic. Back in 2018 the British Library did a "Harry Potter, A brief History of Magic" exhibition...
www.bl.uk...

Gender theory...
Compatible to alchemy, witchcraft, superstition...hehehe

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
Mental but sadly not suprising,

I studied/worked at a University that taught Homeopathy as an MSc

I pointed out that the person who approved the course sold MP3 'vaccines' for AIDS and Malaria that were old jazz records but the University made it illegal for any actual scientists to review course info based on commercially sensitive grounds.

I may or may not have accidentally emailed the course material to rellevant scientific bodies and thankfully the course was banned.

If the course was banned at the time what about courses in your country that has gone so woke in the last decade. Should they ban gender ideology nonsense in universities (and schools of course). How do you call it in our days? Gender studies? There are some videos online where YouTubers are interviewing people from the University of Sussex in Brighton-England.

The University students seem to have been brainwashed completely! It is said this place is the wokiest University in the UK.

What is more dangerous, homeopathy or gender studies and radical left indoctrination??

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar

Gender theory...
Compatible to alchemy, witchcraft, superstition...hehehe

Maybe that would be a good idea for US universities.

If they could learn how to turn lead into gold, they could pay their student loan debts.

Maybe some weather spells to combat climate change.

Gender transitions using magic potions instead of surgery.

Raise an army of the dead to fight in Ukraine.

Truth spells for politician.

Lots of possibilities there.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

Gender theory

Those arrested under the Witchcraft Act were usually tortured into making confessions. Women, who made up 84% of the accused, were not permitted to give evidence at their own trials. Those convicted were strangled and burned at the stake so there was no body to bury.
300 years on, will thousands of women burned as witches finally get justice?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Seems this course is about the history of magic and it's social and philosophical issues.

It's not Hogwarts and teaching spells and whatnot.

But, cue faux outrage etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

As part of my law degree I had to do a wild card subject.

I did Pseudoscience. It was great.

Studied dowsing. It worked!

Ufology too.

Our tutor was an expert in ball lightning.

His interest started when he witnessed it rolling down the aisle of an airliner.

Never did me any harm studying this stuff.

Bark!!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Not everyone enters academia to make money.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
Seems this course is about the history of magic and it's social and philosophical issues.

It's not Hogwarts and teaching spells and whatnot.

But, cue faux outrage etc.

But was it really magic and superstition?
What about any of those innocent souls back in the 10th century who may have witnessed UFOs and strange events?

Are mythology and folklore enclosing a version of history that may have been forgotten or omitted?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

What about it?

Why ask me?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join