It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Grading for Equity" - Portland Schools Mull Banning Zeroes for Cheating and Not Doing Work

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: quintessentone

Strange that they would mix the grading and deadlines together as another member is doing here. Obviously the deadline or timeframe within schools needs to be looked at more closely, perhaps we aren't seeing the similarities or ridiculousness of deadlines when implemented in both environments.

A big problem with deadlines is that schools are unionized. This is why charter schools can do anything they want. They can have school go on year-round if they want. When we look at the OP "Grading for Equity" what does that mean really? Is it once again the old "You White people get better schooling" thing?

In the end communities and parents are failing their own kids. I see it time and time again and the schools either have woke people putting more priorities on areas that really are not the most important thing a school should provide or the unions really limit what the schools can and can not do.

Change is difficult.

More on this interesting concept.

www.educationnext.org...
edit on q00000039831America/Chicago5656America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

But of course being obtuse seems to be helping you

If you never fail, you never know what you need to work on. If you are handed grades for something you never did, you automatically think you are doing okay and just coast on by.

As I made the comparison earlier: Welfare. If you pay people to sit on their lazy ass and do nothing all day, they will never think that something needs to change and that they need to do better in life and get a job.

Let me know if I need to break it down and make it a little simpler for you

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

But of course being obtuse seems to be helping you

If you never fail, you never know what you need to work on. If you are handed grades for something you never did, you automatically think you are doing okay and just coast on by.

As I made the comparison earlier: Welfare. If you pay people to sit on their lazy ass and do nothing all day, they will never think that something needs to change and that they need to do better in life and get a job.

Let me know if I need to break it down and make it a little simpler for you

I am not obtuse, I just kept you on track as to my context.

This student sums it up quite well:

The new system at Placer Union eliminates points for extra credit and places more weight on end-of-term assessments, which can assume a variety of formats, from tests to projects or presentations. Students can retake assessments until they show mastery of the subject, even if it means going beyond the semester into so-called intervention periods. Grades no longer reflect punctuality or behavior.

Allysa Trimble, a senior at the district’s Foresthill High School, said the extra time “saved” her after she got an incomplete for an online world history class last year. She used the in-person intervention period to make up the work and ultimately get a B-minus.

“I don’t know if I would have been on track to graduate before,” said Trimble, who graduated in May 2022.

www.educationnext.org...

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Corporal punishment for principals and superintendents.. 3 fast painful whacks with the Malaysian cane for any administrator signing up for this stupidity.

If this was done you would see sanity return quickly.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   

So lets sum it up here for you:

1. I can be late all I want, act a fool, and no consequences will come of it.
Complete opposite of the real world and how things work in a place of business. Great start

2. No deadlines, I do things when I want and can turn in things as late as I want as long as I turn them in at all.
We already went over that aspect of things. Not meeting deadlines have consequences, oh that's right we are all about no accountability right?

3. I can just redo everything in life without having to worry about something bad happening because of it
lol

4. I didn't pass my classes but they made it to where I can graduate anyways
Again, real world does not work this way.

All in all, this is just setting up students for failure in the real world. I don't know about you, but I would rather fail while learning in school than in the real world where things can go sideways real quick after a failure.

Oh and let me guess, you are all for student loan forgiveness, being on welfare because you don't feel like getting a job, and participation trophies?
edit on 29-8-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So lets sum it up here for you:

1. I can be late all I want, act a fool, and no consequences will come of it.
Complete opposite of the real world and how things work in a place of business. Great start

2. No deadlines, I do things when I want and can turn in things as late as I want as long as I turn them in at all.
We already went over that aspect of things. Not meeting deadlines have consequences, oh that's right we are all about no accountability right?

3. I can just redo everything in life without having to worry about something bad happening because of it
lol

4. I didn't pass my classes but they made it to where I can graduate anyways
Again, real world does not work this way.

All in all, this is just setting up students for failure in the real world. I don't know about you, but I would rather fail while learning in school than in the real world where things can go sideways real quick after a failure.

Oh and let me guess, you are all for student loan forgiveness, being on welfare because you don't feel like getting a job, and participation trophies?

You know very well that's not the plan.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   

According to your source you just posted, that is 100% how it's going to go.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   

According to your source you just posted, that is 100% how it's going to go.

Not from what I've read.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   

You must be looking through some VERY rose colored glasses then my friend.

If you think that not having accountability in schools is going to solve any problems then we have bigger problems here.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You must be looking through some VERY rose colored glasses then my friend.

If you think that not having accountability in schools is going to solve any problems then we have bigger problems here.

The kids are accountable but in different ways.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Please, do explain

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Please, do explain

By mastering the core elements of subjects not just memorizing. They have to actually learn and they will have a broader timeframe in which to do it, is just one requirement. The homework and assignments are not core to the mastery.

Anyway, if you read some of the information I posted you will get a better understanding.

All I am saying is try something rather than nothing.
edit on q00000015831America/Chicago0303America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The homework and assignments are not core to the mastery..

They certainly ARE core to learning.
If you don't do the assignments, you don't learn.
Basic stuff here. Seriously.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

The most important aspect to this strategy is mastery of concepts.

When I work with families as an advocate and the parents explain their concerns to me, I have first-hand experience that I can relate to having worked with children with similar needs. When parents describe what the problems look like, I can usually envision them because I’ve seen them before, myself.

Which is what brings me to the issue of rote memorization versus mastery of concepts. Both are types of learning, but they are very different from each other and many parents don’t understand the distinction.

Rote memorization can be a useful tool, but real, meaningful learning comes from the mastery of key concepts. Whether as a parent or educator, instructing children on the things they need to know must include explanations of the how’s and why’s, not just the explicit facts, or meaningful learning just can’t occur.

annezachryonlearning.wordpress.com...#:~:text=Rote%20memorization%20is%20simply%20the,il lustrate%20how%20something%20actually%20works.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   

lol

When the leftists took over, actual learning became secondary.

Indoctrination is paramount.

Right below that is obedience.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   

You ASSUME the assignments are all rote learning? Seriously?
Rote has it's place and is used but so are other methods of learning.
You can't assume what the assignments are. You have no clue.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:18 PM
link   

You ASSUME the assignments are all rote learning? Seriously?
Rote has it's place and is used but so are other methods of learning.
You can't assume what the assignments are. You have no clue.

None of us do because this specific plan is not yet implemented in this specific school system but what I've read from other sources is that any fluff or unnecessary learning will be eliminated and everything will be streamlined directly to core mastery of concepts.

But you have opened up another can of worms regarding homework or no homework.

Based on my experience along with recent research in the field, I think that daily cumulative review is a better solution for mastery and retention. Math concepts and skills will spiral, scaffold, and layer as students age. By providing a daily cumulative review in your classroom (instead of homework), you will notice the disparity in your students’ knowledge base much sooner than you would by correcting homework assignments during non-school hours.
This allows the children to ask you questions directly when they are confused.
You can address and misconceptions much sooner.

www.mrsbalius.com...
edit on q00000021831America/Chicago5959America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

It's interesting that some people have natural skill sets that will never be evident or recognized in any classroom but given half a chance out in the real world will lead them on the road to success.

www.businessinsider.com...

see, this is a perfect example of why school is a waste of time. Teachers don't really do anything of value. Why not just give kids a voucher for the gaming system of their choice, a stockpile of honey buns and energy drinks, and we can sit back and reap the rewards of a well managed society. Compliments of the left. Well played non-binary's.

I said 'some' people, the majority will benefit from what the classroom offers which is more than reading and math. I think they should add more lessons how to feed yourself on a budget, how to save and invest money, face-to-face social skills, etc. basically everything else that is required outside the classroom and digital world.

This article goes into the finer details of this 'being mulled over' plan. It almost touches on the necessity for a 'learn and hand in your materials at your pace' type of set up where you are still accountable for doing and handing in the work.

Citing COVID-19 disruptions, the DOE said schools “must adjust” expectations for timely work and are “encouraged to lessen or eliminate penalties for late work beyond these deadlines.”

Student attendance will not directly impact grades. The DOE guidelines state that “courses that currently include attendance as a factor in student grades must remove that factor completely.”

Like last year, city students will not be given failing grades and will instead be given opportunities to make up material.

In addition, parents will now have the option of scrapping any numeric grade this year and replacing it with a less exacting “meets standards” or “pass” mark that won’t count towards a cumulative overall score.

Individual schools will be allowed to determine how numeric grades are calculated and will be given wide berth in assessing student progress.

“This guidance is designed to promote equity, flexibility, and empathy in our grading practice for all students,” the DOE said.

nypost.com...

If adopted, the new practices will bring various changes such as new grading structures, not grading homework, not giving students failing grades for not completing their work or cheating, and not grading for “non-academic factors” such as behavior, participation, and effort.

“Not giving a student a zero when his or her work earned such a low mark actually harms that child,” Jonathan Butcher, an education fellow at the Heritage Foundation told Fox News. “You hurt a student when you pass them on from one grade to another without asking that student to show that they can complete the work he or she is assigned.”

Can you point to where the student is accountable for anything?

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Can you read the article and other studies so you can understand what all of this entails?

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   

so that's a no?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join