It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts to be renamed next year

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: BedevereTheWise

The collapse of the Roman Empire was a complex process that unfolded over several centuries BedevereTheWise.

And as far as I'm aware there is no single event with a clear cause regarding the empire's tumble.

The empire suffered from political instability and administrative inefficiency then there were military pressures from within and without.

All sorts of different factors interacted with one another and built up over time to compound the situation which ultimately led to the collapse of the Roman Empire.

And history managed to record most of it because it did not all fall at once.

You may have taken my post more seriously than intended.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Peperami snacks do not contain monosodium glutamate as an ingredient as far as I'm aware.

Not that they are in any way good for you.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: network dude

Ah right.

That makes more sense i suppose.

have a slim jim.

Ahem...I believe the slogan was..."SNAP into a Slim-Jim".

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Quite possibly I'm typing with one hand here and feeding my little nephew with the other.

Another reason why that empire failed aka trying to do too many things at once.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Peperami snacks do not contain monosodium glutamate as an ingredient as far as I'm aware.

Pork
Iodized salt (salt, potassium iodate)
Dextrose
Spices
Pork fat
Flavor enhancer (monosodium glutamate, disodium inosinate, disodium quanylate)
Preservative (sodium nitrite)
Beechwood smoke

Still want one now.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Quite possibly I'm typing with one hand here and feeding my little nephew with the other.

Another reason why that empire failed aka trying to do too many things at once.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   

One's never enough nether.

Tasty little bastards that they are.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Boy Skirts?

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I use Pepperami as a carp bait. Oddly, they like the hot chilli ones. They go mental for hemp seed with chilli flakes, the hotter, the better.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm wondering at this point how many layers deep of irony ATS will achieve by May24th. I know I'm not the only one keeping track^^^

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BedevereTheWise

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Boomer1947
a reply to: 727Sky

Everybody is overlooking the obvious.

The Boy Scouts lost somewhere in the vicinity of 60% of their membership during the Covid years for a variety of reasons. They are slowly trying to rebuild, but they probably need to attract more members of any kind in order to remain economically viable.

Exactly. If its a business would you want a name that excludes 50% of your potential customers?

If the other name means pushing away 75% of your customers, then yes.

I think boys that won't want to go because they changed the name are exactly the kids who need to spend more time with girls .

I also thing 0.75% caring is a more realistic guess.

Yeah, that way they can run away screaming when they see a bug just like the girls do. How snails shells and puppy dog tails of them.

Why have the courage to successfully defend your wife when you grow up when you can just outrun her.

I think you might be in that needs to spend more time with girls category as well.

But sure if that's what you think.

I don't think much on the opinions of alt-leftists.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: LSU2018

Calm down this has nothing to do with a transgender agenda, or anti man agenda. If you don't want your hyper masculine boy going on camping trips with girls then don't make them participate.

My "hypermasculine" boys already do the camping stuff with girls, just not in an organization. I did the same thing growing up. It's definitely a lot better to be with a girl out there without counselors breathing down your neck.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
No such thing as Atheist. Everybody worships something or someone. That is why the God of Abraham and Isaac said to not have any other before him. Claiming Atheism is just saying you haven't declared it, and you force us to guess.

originally posted by: Annee
Let’s see how inclusive they are when an atheist wants to join.

So far, it’s been a flat NO.

However, statistically for the first time “Nones” have beat out “believers”.

The UK scouts even have a atheist version of scout promise.

The American scouts should try joining this century.

noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Yes there is such a thing as an atheist.

so called atheists at bare minimum worship themselves. There are no such things as a human that doesn't believe something is the most special thing above all else.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: KrustyKrab

They’re best known for their cookies ya know. 🍪

Yeah, at about a 200% profit, very little of which actually goes to the girls selling them. What a gig! 'You do all the work, and we get all the money! YAY!'

The GS Council's cut is like 50% of cookie revenue. Only 10-15% goes back to the actual troop/group selling the actual cookies.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Girl Scouts haven't been investigated under child labor laws.

I would not be surprised if the Girl Scouts were ran financially like the Boy Scouts were.

The actual Scout campgrounds and facilities were donated by individuals. The Troop equipment, tents, cook gear, stoves, etc.. were purchased by the Troop organized carwashes and such. The individual equipment, backpacks, uniforms, sleeping bags, food, etc... were paid for by the individual Scouts, read parents.

Now, the financial support by the big charities and businesses did not really go to any of this. It went to the Professional Scouts. Each district has to have a Professional Scout to run the District Office. They do paperwork and oversee things like summer camp programs and Camperees, multi Troop campouts. This charity money went to the professionals salaries and retirement plans, not the Troops, campgrounds or Scouts. All the Troops were ran by volunteer Scoutmasters. Also there were several Professional Scouts running the National Office. Once above the Troop level, it really is just a business.

I was involved in the Boy Scouts for over 25 years at the Troop level. The National Office does not like this information spread around. The charity money would dry up.

I think the Girl Scouts have it easy by allowing the girls to sell an easy to recognize product to pay for a similar bureaucracy that runs the show.

edit on 9-5-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheDiscoKing
I'm wondering at this point how many layers deep of irony ATS will achieve by May24th. I know I'm not the only one keeping track^^^

I'll miss the irony and I've had so many of my ATS points deducted, that nothing else matters much anymore!

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

Right? I knew you had a good sense of humour.

I wouldn't know to miss it at all if I hadn't learned what it was at ATS. It reminds me of the saying about youth being wasted on the young.

There are many aspects that I know I'll miss, and I'm sure there will be a bunch to miss once Captain Hindsight catches up to all of us.

But not time for melancholy just yet.

Serious cases of failure to adapt will be processed through the vocational tract.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 06:19 PM
link   

No such thing as Atheist. Everybody worships something or someone. That is why the God of Abraham and Isaac said to not have any other before him. Claiming Atheism is just saying you haven't declared it, and you force us to guess.

originally posted by: Annee
Let’s see how inclusive they are when an atheist wants to join.

So far, it’s been a flat NO.

However, statistically for the first time “Nones” have beat out “believers”.

The UK scouts even have a atheist version of scout promise.

The American scouts should try joining this century.

noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Yes there is such a thing as an atheist.

so called atheists at bare minimum worship themselves. There are no such things as a human that doesn't believe something is the most special thing above all else.

I posted the definition of atheist.

If you are using it in your own special way it makes conversation difficult.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Heads up....Pepperami Ingredients

Ingredients
Pork, Iodised Salt (Salt, Potassium Iodate), Dextrose, Spices, Pork Fat, Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate), Preservative [Sodium Nitrite], Beechwood Smoke, Made with 146g Pork and Pork Fat per 100g finished product, as some moisture is lost during curing and drying

Not much good in a Pepperami really. Yuck!

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Oh wait! I've got it!

Homeland Scouts

F# Yeah!

They're here to save the motherf#ng day now!

Honestly, though. Maybe some nice new uniforms from Boss as well.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was a Cub Scout. I learned lots of useful skills. Then, I was a Webelos. I never felt any sense of indoctrination. We were just boys who liked camping and learning stuff. Then, I was a Boy Scout. I liked performing various tasks that were measurable (even then I was a scientist) and earning merit badges, and progressing through the various ranks. I was a life scout, and then my family moved to another state. That state had a different and dominant religious base. I went to meetings, and went on Jamborees and camped and learned stuff and eventually was ostracized due to my unwillingness to comply with the native socioreligious environs. It was okay with me. By that time, I was already on my way to being me, the person who chose their own rules and was not nearly willing to buy into anyone else's.

I have a soft spot for BSA and scouting in general. There was a time where I thought that it did a hell of a lot of good. I remember boys who had single mothers, and others who had parents who didn't seem to be involved in their lives. Scouting gave them and all of us a togetherness where we could learn life skills, and also we learned socialization and conflict resolution. We learned how to be mature prior to being adults.

Where I live, there is no scouting. I wish it were otherwise. I would love to be involved in mentoring kids in the way I was mentored. It made a huge difference to me. Some of those skills are still important to this day; I can make a fire anywhere -- on any continent, except for perhaps Antartica -- within an hour or so, without an ignition source. I hope to never need this skill to survive, but it's good to have. That is just a few of the skills I learned.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join