It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative Heating For Home.. Instead Of Oil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   
worried about how high heating oil is going. I have a split level home about 2500 square feet. But i have oil heat. No gas in my area. I have a 300 gallon tank that usually gets filled 3 times during the season. That is going to cost a fortune. Any one have some good alternatives? I do have to electric heating panels on the walls in some rooms but that just jacks up my electric bill. I got no fireplaces. Just curious if any one else is using some alternatives.

edit on 5/6/2022 by semperfortis because: Corrected All Caps

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: HODOSKE

Well if you have a little bit of room a geothermal unit would be a great investment.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: HODOSKE
I got no fireplaces.

A flue in a liner isn't that difficult to install if there are no chimneys.

Wood....grows on trees.

edit on 6/5/2022 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
i have 9 acres . so i have room. sounds like it would be pricey. do you know the approx cost?a reply to: Bluntone22

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   
How about a hot water boiler system? There are many types available and even wood burning boilers, that based off some reviews on YouTube are pretty efficient. Most likely the biggest cost will be how to retro fit the spaces you need to heat but there are many modern alternatives such as PEX types that many have been using for years and install can be much less.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   

What about an external wood stove. They're very efficient and pump hot water into the house so smell isn't even an issue (although I personally prefer the wood smell in the winter, makes it extra cozy).

Internal wood stoves aren't that big of a deal to do retroactively still. You just don't want to use pine.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Modern wood stoves can be very efficient and combined with sweat equity, gathering your own firewood can be wallet efficient as well.

It depends a lot on what kind of climate you are in and what's available in your area. Some areas don't allow wood stoves due to inversions trapping wood smoke.

Otherwise, you may be best served by improving your home's energy efficiency by upgrading insulation, windows, and the like and switching to electric, which can be not that bad in a well-insulated, airtight home.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Otherwise, you may be best served by improving your home's energy efficiency by upgrading insulation, windows, and the like and switching to electric, which can be not that bad in a well-insulated, airtight home.

The first step in restoring our Victorian involved this. Proper insulation, vapor barrier, energy efficient siding and draft mitigation. The monthly energy bill was cut in half and this was before upgrading the boiler, hot water heater and all appliances.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You have land? You have trees?

1.Poke a hole in the wall to run a six inch stove pipe through (with proper insulation and such, of course).

Build a wood burning stove with a 55 gallon drum and kit. The actually have a double kit that uses two barrels.

Get a two man saw and splitting tools, an axe and a chainsaw if so inclined.

You're set. This may be no heat more than a couple of rooms, but if it's cold enough where you live, it'll keep you from freezing to death.

Seasoning wood takes time. You'll need to find some dry unrotted deadfall or standing dead trees that have had time to dry out. When I did this, we were able to find sufficient deadfall and dead trees so I never had to worry about waiting for wood to season.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Also of note, heat pumps are fairly cheap to run compared to an oil boiler right now- and while a fairly hefty investment up front they can often handle the heat on the edge seasons.
In my last home I had installed two for about $2500 total- it would cost twice that now at least, but once I had them I could heat the house for under $30 in electricity a month- for two or three months a year, instead of kicking on the oil boiler.
That combined with a heat pump water heater got my oil usage down from 3 tanks (~275 gallons a fill) to about one a year.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I just purchased a Buck Stove 74 wood burning insert for our fireplace. We got the non catalytic, they run around $3600. They are stand alone, or insert capable. 7k installed with all piping and new chimney cap etc. I’m guessing it’s closer to 10k installed stand alone.

The buck 74 heats up 15k-52400k BTUs x 2600 sq ft. There are 2 other versions smaller and larger, but not as versatile. Highly efficient, very easy to aspirate and come with an electric blower ( function fine without).

Along with windows yellow foam around edges and solid insulation (closed cell offering the best bang for space) you will be golden. We did this to mitigate propane prices come winter. Check them out

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Chickens. They have a high body temperature. Build a roost under your house.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 05:04 PM
link   

i have 9 acres . so i have room. sounds like it would be pricey. do you know the approx cost?a reply to: Bluntone22

9 acres, yeah, that wood do it.

I don't know where you are but perhaps a good start wood be a good builders merchant who sells professional building supplies. They wood be able to advise you on products available and also be able to recommend a good installer.

For the cost of a years worth of oil, you'd probably be paying no more for the install.

Get your thinking cap on and do some research and have fun with some plans for what and where you wood like a woodburner. Consider the construction of your house, eg...roof type, insulation, structure etc and talk to someone armed with some knowledge of your own. This is always a good way to not get ripped off by someone who thinks you are just a pot of gold for them.

Here in France woodburners are still widespread and there are so many types including ones with a back boiler for central heating systems. Also possible you could consider a "pellet" woodburner which is less mess, self feeding, no real work but more expensive as an install due to the cost of the burners and the pellets cost money.

Wood, heats you many times.

Once when you cut it down.
Once when you chop it up.
Once when you move it.
Once when you stack it.
And once when you burn it.

The ash is great for the garden and you can cook on some woodburners too, I often start something on a gas stove and then transfer it to the woodburner to continue cooking for free.

Also a great way for you to get closer to your 9 acres and enjoy it.

And the ambience of a REAL fire.....primordial.

I'm happy to help where I can with research but bear in mind I am in France so regulations and construction methods are probably different. Also important to consider any changes in your insurance if you heat with a woodburner.

So...where are you?

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I just purchased a Buck Stove 74 wood burning insert for our fireplace. We got the non catalytic, they run around $3600. They are stand alone, or insert capable. 7k installed with all piping and new chimney cap etc. I’m guessing it’s closer to 10k installed stand alone.

Holy Crap!

My woodburner cost me the removal of an old shower for someone and it was the payment...lol

Worlds apart eh?

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I had a Yukon wood stove, it had a wetback to heat the water, and you could cook on top or inside, one good charge of wood kept the water hot enough for a shower for three days. But if you want to go high tech you can get a DC water heater, and to be sure three , hundred-watt solar panels will keep the water hot.For a good size fridge freezer its two , hundred-watt solar panels, going through a hundred amp hour lipo battery and an inverter.It is always heating and water heating that eats up power, if you have a basement have the fire down there, and the chimney going up through the house and out the roof.it will heat the whole house. It depends on how much you want to spend, but ten foot under the ground it is always about 18c summer and winter so build a hobbit hole lol.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

I had a Yukon wood stove, it had a wetback to heat the water, and you could cook on top or inside, one good charge of wood kept the water hot enough for a shower for three days. But if you want to go high tech you can get a DC water heater, and to be sure three , hundred-watt solar panels will keep the water hot.For a good size fridge freezer its two , hundred-watt solar panels, going through a hundred amp hour lipo battery and an inverter.It is always heating and water heating that eats up power, if you have a basement have the fire down there, and the chimney going up through the house and out the roof.it will heat the whole house. It depends on how much you want to spend, but ten foot under the ground it is always about 18c summer and winter so build a hobbit hole lol.

Not me who needs the possibility but the OP will read this.

My little bungalow/pavillion is tiny at 78m2 and I have got good insulation including double glazing, although I still have under the wooden floor to insulate.

Interesed in your solar though, especially the battery.

One big box of firewood keeps me going all evening when it's cold but I'm rufty-tufty-rustic...lol.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 08:56 PM
link   

worried about how high heating oil is going. I have a split level home about 2500 square feet. But i have oil heat. No gas in my area. I have a 300 gallon tank that usually gets filled 3 times during the season. That is going to cost a fortune. Any one have some good alternatives? I do have to electric heating panels on the walls in some rooms but that just jacks up my electric bill. I got no fireplaces. Just curious if any one else is using some alternatives.

insulation and fans. i had a coal burner. 3 tons a year. i wanted to replace it with a pellet stove. i hear they are efficient and throw some good heat. put in a gas fire place while you have gas aanyway. for aesthetics and some localized heat.

yeah i lived in the rockies. my house built in the 30's. so i did some serious remodeling. all double pane windows. inline electric water heater was the goal. now we don't use hot water to do clothes and just hang dry.

or move near the equator. either way, it will cost a few bucks. lol, when i ripped the walls down, the insulation was old newspaper. i used 6" insulation and 3/4"drywall with a knock down finish.

you could also vote for energy independence candidates and hope they deliver.

always keep air flow in mind, heat or fresh air. iwas lucky the chimney went up through the 2nd floor where the bedroom was, i made 1 big one out of the 2 up there. the chim was in the center and stayed warm when the burner was on i installed 2 ceiling fans on each end of the bedroom. to blow the heat around. i vaulted the ceiling too. kind of a bitch to find some rough cut 4x4's for the cross beams. turned out great tho, once i stained them.

almost forgot, my boss had his home built with solar heating.

the floors were heated by hot water pipes. he showed me the set up.

it looked like a nightmare if something went wrong. he also had batteries to run the rest of the house too.

all green and cost a fortune. this was middle -late 80's so costs might have dropped some since.

so good luck.

i guess what i'm saying is that there is no magic bullet. there is lots to think about for energy saving and cozyness.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 09:15 PM
link   
One thing most of you are all forgetting is that for an indoor wood stove, someone has to tend the fire or else the heat goes down when the fire dies. Going to work 9+ hours doesn't keep the house warm unless someone is there. So if everyone works or is gone all day, the house will freeze when empty. Radiant heat is nice and usually lasts 4-5 hours but if the home isn't insulated the temps drop quick. Especially in the cold winter.

Coal stoves can be banked and coal is still cheaper than oil.

Outdoor wood stoves can be fed for up to 24 hours without needed tended to. I know several people with them but they use more wood than a smaller wood stove. The initial costs can be $10k and up depending on the installation.

Kerosene heaters work well indoors but not meant for whole house heat. Plus oil costs add up.

It all depends on your level of urgency, HODOSKE.
Find what you need and what works.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I get a cubic meter of firewood each winter, in the evenings I put a fire on. get it going then damp it down that lasts till bedtime. It gets so hot I have to open the windows. If I have any power supply problems, I just plug the Yacht in, It's got a couple of 100-watt solar panels an inverter, and a couple of 200amp hour batteries. It sits on a trailer close to the house..So a simple extension cord is all that's required. Its got a small freezer and cooker onboard. In America, you can pick up Yachts super cheap at the moment, and they could be used as a caravan at a push. I know some people who live on board in a marina and pay about 200 a week, they get power and all the facilities, the present rent is way more than that. It has a VHF ship to shore radio, so you can speak to friends independent of the telephone companies. The thing is if the SHTF I can be on the Ocean and gone in an hour. It has been a great project as well i have learned a lot, well worth considering, the basics of sailing can be learned in a couple of days, The Catalina is a great boat, they are selling at a good price. With the right gear onboard they will go literally anywhere.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join