It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense Gun Legislation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: 5thHead

I really hope you do not own a gun and carry it every day. Or if you do I hope my life never depends on you to use your firearm safely and effectively.

It's people with this mentality that give well trained and proper firearm owner a bad name. It is not just as simple as "point and shoot", if you do not know your firearm inside and out, front to back, left to right, you will fail in any situation that you are under stress.

Please, for your safety and everyone around you, either train with your firearm or do not carry one at all.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

If you are concealed carrying, nobody should know you even have one....

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

The teachers can get USCCA and be covered for anything to do with having to use a firearm in a defensive situation.

All for about $20 a month

www.usconcealedcarry.com...
edit on 11-4-2024 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: network dude

I pity the armed teacher who has an armed 6-year-old aiming their weapon at them.

As do I. But in that situation, what should transpire? Allow the child to shoot until the mag is empty?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think this bulletproof wall is the safest way to deal with any type of indoor shootings because just training in accurate shooting techniques does not equip someone for the chaotic, horror-filled, emotionally- and adrenalin-charged environment during a shooting, IMO. Leave it up to those with proper combat training and experience.

www.goodmorningamerica.com...*vari ant_a-775%2Cabcn_mobileweb_article_ep-176*variant_b-814
edit on q00000019430America/Chicago4747America/Chicago4 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

The teachers can get USCCA and be covered for anything to do with having to use a firearm in a defensive situation.

It should be on the school district's dime.

a reply to: network dude

But in that situation, what should transpire?

Should the teachers be trained to shoot to kill?

Just so folks know the very real situation that I'm referring to:
Shooting of Virginia teacher by 6-year-old was an ‘avoidable event,’ special grand jury report says
hindsight is 20/20

Would firing a warning shoot even be safe in situation like that?

edit on 5820242024k25America/Chicago2024-04-11T09:25:58-05:0009am2024-04-11T09:25:58-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
I think this bulletproof wall is the safest way to deal with any type of indoor shootings ...

Yeah cuz' when kids hide behind a bulletproof wall, the shooter wouldn't dream of just walking around that wall and shooting them anyways. Sure.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:32 AM
link   

If the district is not mandating the teacher carries, why would it be on the districts dime?

I could see the district paying for it if they were making it mandatory, but since it's optional, that makes no sense.

To answer your question to ND, yes, you always shoot to kill in a situation where you have to draw your firearm in self defense.

The tragedy of it being a 6yo is terrible, but that is on the parents for not teaching their kids to not touch them and keeping them out of the reach of their kids.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
Would firing a warning shoot even be safe in situation like that?

Firing so called 'warning shots' are NOT what people are supposed to do.
You only pull a weapon out if you have to use it, and then YOU USE IT.
Fire center mass.

Firing a 'warning shot' only gives time for the bad guy to
fire off his weapon and kill you and everyone else he/she wants to.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Yes, that is a safe option but being a sitting duck is still not a good idea.

Sometimes those teachers with a gun might be better trained than a police officer.

Either way, a good guy with a gun is infinitely better than a good guy with no gun.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: quintessentone
I think this bulletproof wall is the safest way to deal with any type of indoor shootings ...

Yeah cuz' when kids hide behind a bulletproof wall, the shooter wouldn't dream of just walking around that wall and shooting them anyways. Sure.

Look at the design at the link I provided, they can't walk around it.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Are you a carrier? Legal licensed CPL/CCW holder? Just wondering...teachers should be able.

We have always had ground cks. Unless you have a carry license like me. I walk into a store, show my license....I'm out the door with my new gun.

We've got a lotta cks to even GET and keep your license. Old.. very old news. Modification is always good tho.....but the bad guys will always find a way.

Do you know how many "ghost" guns are out there? Made without any i.d.'s on them?

Thousands and thousands, as we speak. I think this is disastrous. We can no longer assure locations, regulation, authorization.

This...is monumental. Soon you'll have guys like me, outnumbered by all the illegal firearms in the grocery store line next to you.

Remember too: teachers...can be...and go...nuts too.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yes, I have been a card carrying ccw holder for 8 years now, with insurance.

Background checks are a thing nationwide, only way around that is person to person sale and even then most people will make you fill out a BOS to cover their own ass.

"Ghost guns" is a fearmongering term used by those that know little to nothing about firearms and how they are made or built.

Anyone can go crazy at any point, a police officer could grab his rifle and go on a shooting spree tomorrow, what is your point?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Firing so called 'warning shots' are NOT what people are supposed to do.
You only pull a weapon out if you have to use it, and then YOU USE IT.
Fire center mass.

Right, but we are talking about public schools, and particularly, an armed 6-year-old in the midst of class, (and not a Hamas Palestinian kid).

Firing a 'warning shot' only gives time for the bad guy to
fire off his weapon and kill you and everyone else he/she wants to.

Right, but what if you have a group of rowdy kids in the classroom, or the lunch room, or the gym, or the quad, coming at you or each other. You can't shoot them all.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:50 AM
link   

If the district is not mandating the teacher carries, why would it be on the districts dime?

Because they are responsible for the children's safety, and they are the ones authorizing the teachers to carry while on school property. Or, if they are not the one's authorizing the teachers, then the authorizing party needs to be insured as well as the teacher, because they're going to be getting sued as soon as a student, teacher, et al, gets shot by an authorized teacher.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   

That is where the training aspect comes into affect, if the teacher has the proper training the only ones getting shot will be those that are causing the threat.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   

If you can't figure out how they work and need a refresher course every few months then I hope you don't have one.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I will chalk this up as coming from a place of ignorance with firearms.

Also, I am not one saying you have to take refresher courses, I have said a yearly qualification would be a good idea.

I think you should train with your firearm any chance you get, not just when you are required to.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

I will chalk this up as coming from a place of ignorance with firearms.

Also, I am not one saying you have to take refresher courses, I have said a yearly qualification would be a good idea.

I think you should train with your firearm any chance you get, not just when you are required to.

There is also the ignorance of lack of mental and strategic training in horrific situations such as a school shooting, they go hand in hand as to an armed teacher's success in handling that type of situation.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

You, and others, seem to keep ignoring the part of the article stating that they are required to take a mandated training course before being allowed to carry said firearm in school.

Also, if you were to look into the link I provided for Sookie, you would see that all of that can be handled by USCCA, and is covered by your insurance through them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join