It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father of Propaganda- Edward Bernays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   

If you not going out tonight. Check out this video on Edward Bernays.

Good to learn the history of the deception what we face everyday

“His techniques have shaped our world in way most have never imagined.
From manipulation to consumerism and unsavoury family connections.”

I learned that
Public Relations = Propaganda
He’s the reason why we eat Bacon and Eggs for breakfast
He helped Overthrow Guatemala government
Helped increase women smokers
Fluoride and Aluminium scam

And like DTOM mentioned his famous uncle.

Be safe.

ETA: I ran out of time at first but came back to add more things I learned

edit on 31-10-2023 by ObsBartim37 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2023 by ObsBartim37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ObsBartim37

Hm this is interesting because I remember watching a documentary about Rockefeller and how he found that while he walked down the streets and tossed out dimes to people he found it helped with his public appearance, so he ended up hiring a publication firm to publicize standard oils general business in a positive way. This was in 1913.
The documentary basicslly credited Rockefeller as the creator of American Public relations.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   

And don't forget to mention is uber-famous Uncle.....
www.psychologytoday.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Just to play the devil's advocate, manipulation is not always bad. And it permeates our world like the air. We are not only the victims of manipulation, each of us is a manipulator. Consider this. You apply for a job. Do you start with talking about your failures and weaknesses? No, you put up a show, a better or worse one depending on your capabilities, which doesn't have to be a lie but it definitely isn't spontaneous. It is specifically tailored for the addressee. You present yourself in such a way that your potential employer will be impressed.

Are you always honest with your family or friends? Sometimes, honesty can bring more harm than good.

As far as consumerism goes, advertising methods are considered harmful when they make you buy things you don't need. Still, needs are subjective. Like I could go for a walk in the forest instead of replying to your post. What do I need internet for? Only subjectively I need it. How much are our needs influenced by irrational emotions? And how big a part does a reason play? It's often difficult to assess.

edit on 31-10-2023 by twistedpuppy because: no reason

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I would call Bernays a modern pioneer of propaganda. He certainly pushed the envelope of a millennia old art form.

His book should be required reading.

edit on 10/31/2023 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Required viewing are the documentaries by Adam Curtis, especially The Century Of The Self and The Trap.
You can find these on youtube.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 07:20 PM
link   
And not just his uncle, but his double uncle.

Because his father was brother to Freud's wife
An and his mother was Freud's sister.

The kid was raised on and taught on the knees of the founders of the schools of psychology.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

And don't forget to mention is uber-famous Uncle.....
www.psychologytoday.com...

Yes indeed thanks.
The battle is for our minds
That add an egg to cake mix bit is insane. The careful steps of research that they take to make a buck is amazing.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheatcatcher
Required viewing are the documentaries by Adam Curtis, especially The Century Of The Self and The Trap.
You can find these on youtube.

I watched the Centry of the self. The maker of the video I posted had links to the series in her Substack article.
Mind blown!!!

It’s tough to be a consumer now. I Can see it everywhere, keeps my already skeptical mind on even higher alert.

Her is the video for part one of anyone wants to dig in

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: twistedpuppy

We are not only the victims of manipulation, each of us is a manipulator. Consider this. You apply for a job. Do you start with talking about your failures and weaknesses? No, you put up a show, a better or worse one depending on your capabilities, which doesn't have to be a lie but it definitely isn't spontaneous. It is specifically tailored for the addressee. You present yourself in such a way that your potential employer will be impressed.

That's more akin to a trained animal jumping through hoops than it is an act of manipulation.

Are you always honest with your family or friends? Sometimes, honesty can bring more harm than good.

I have to agree here, but it's hardly the same thing as snake charming in order to push a product. You sort of want to know that Johnson and Johnsons Baby Powder gave cancer to babies or that the covid vaccine is responsible for a number of serious, sometimes fatal side effects or that doctors were earning a shady buck when they promoted cigarettes.

As far as consumerism goes, advertising methods are considered harmful when they make you buy things you don't need. Still, needs are subjective.

It's much more sinister than that. There's harmful agents in our clothing, our food, our toilet paper, our pharmaceuticals and our packaging to name but a tiny few.

But, deception in order to make a quick buck has been normalized by TPTB.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This man is a testament to the damage you can do in the world without ever directly advocating violence.
Agitprop is literally the main course day in and out around the world. Obviously flavor depends on your country.
This man created endless students of psychological manipulation who continue to carry out this subversive action against us all.
Some folks should know when to keep it to themselves.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Hm this is interesting because I remember watching a documentary about Rockefeller and how he found that while he walked down the streets and tossed out dimes to people he found it helped with his public appearance, so he ended up hiring a publication firm to publicize standard oils general business in a positive way. This was in 1913.
The documentary basicslly credited Rockefeller as the creator of American Public relations.

The Rockefellers were one of Ivy Lee's clients. It was Lee who was the creator, Rockfeller was just the client.

In 1914, he was to enter public relations on a much larger scale when he was retained by John D. Rockefeller Jr to represent his family and Standard Oil ("to burnish the family image"), after their bloody repression of the coal mining strike in Colorado known as the "Ludlow Massacre." Lee warned that the Rockefellers were losing public support due to having ordered the massacre of striking workers and their families (as well as the burning of their homes). He developed a strategy that Junior followed to repair it. It was necessary for Junior to overcome his shyness, go personally to Colorado to meet with the miners and their families, inspect the conditions of the homes and the factories, attend social events, and listen to the grievances (all the while being photographed for press releases). This was novel advice, and attracted widespread media attention, which opened the way to wallpaper over the conflict, and present a more humanized version of the wealthy Rockefellers.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-11-2023 by BrucellaOrchitis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

I knew there was probably another angle and more to the over all story. Thanks for adding more context!
edit on 2-11-2023 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Bernays is the sole reason to the rampant consumerism we see today.
He developed all the social programming en-masse.
Absolutely the reason we have commercials for everything.
Advertisements and marketing today would be nothing without his ideas.
Evil genius, for sure. People should take heed.

His ideas should be the reason everyone upcycles and steps away from consumerism.
It's an effective brainwashing method.

top topics

join