It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Internet Dead? Maybe so... maybe we're ALL dead?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The 'Echo Chamber' is one form of crowd control discussed to help manage the internet discussion. Push people with similar beliefs together. A natural tendency for it as well. Different sites focus on different things.

A lot of things died as google centralized the search engines and got a good grip on the mobile phone market. Still stuff out there, but a lot more filtered and censored, getting harder to find, have to dig deeper.

AI is still emerging in bits and pieces. Don't see it fully in control of all our internet usage yet. The map of the world has been consistent with the parts I have been too, Australia, SE Asia, India. Talked to lots of people there.

You have taken on a strong bastion with the information war going on. Lot of death around, dying people, dead stories, deleted information. Has been a lot of tough debates in the past to get things this far.

From here you are not dead yet, keep punchin...

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Somewhat related to dead internet theory -- & I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere -- but who else has kept hitting 'next page' on google search results?

For example, I just typed in 'Climate Change' & got "about 1,500,000,000 results".
Seems legit, big topic = lots of results.

Scrolling through the pages it keeps saying the same thing. By page 15 it's still saying about 1.5 billion results.
By the time I get to page 17 it's apparently the END; now it reads "Page 17 of about 161 results".

Hmm... One & a half billion results & then you try to follow through & there aren't even 200 hits.
There's probably (maybe?) a technical reason for a search engine to do this, but I can't help but feel something really weird is going on when what appears to be over a billion hits is actually only 161 results. It's kinda surreal.

& it's the same with any topic you google: it appears to give practically unlimited results but if you keep pressing 'next page', apparently not...

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saturnschild
Somewhat related to dead internet theory -- & I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere -- but who else has kept hitting 'next page' on google search results?

For example, I just typed in 'Climate Change' & got "about 1,500,000,000 results".

Scrolling through the pages it keeps saying the same thing. By page 15 it's still saying about 1.5 billion results.
By the time I get to page 17 it's apparently the END; now it reads "Page 17 of about 161 results".

Hmm... One & a half billion results & then you try to follow through & there aren't even 200 hits.
There's probably (maybe?) a technical reason for a search engine to do this, but I can't help but feel something really weird is going on when what appears to be over a billion hits is actually only 161 results. It's kinda surreal.

& it's the same with any topic you google: it appears to give practically unlimited results but if you keep pressing 'next page', apparently not...

Just more proof that they control what they want you to know. It is all an illusion.

Most people are satisfied when they hear what they want to hear. No need to search past that. It is how echo chambers are born.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Yes...

Thanks for the drive down memory lane.
that was a fun highlight during college when that site popped up during computer class for the first time.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Saturnschild

I have just been dealing with how much you are "corralled" on the search engines. It is appalling!

Also, Way back in the day, I used to print info of the internet, and people would laugh and say, oh it will always be there.

Yeah, nope.
I went through and tried to find a lot of the info I had printed off, and of course the sites are long gone, but it was interesting, that even with simple things like herbal usage, I could only find info contradicting the information I had printed. It is sad really. It is so far removed from what it used to be.

@ general eyes:
This was always one of my favorites!
Dumb ways to die

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Darko

#ATSDarkoForCyberKang1

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BeNotAfraid

lol

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Saturnschild

I really love Google the engine not the company what a marvelous cathedral of IT-engineering
...such a Beau!
I mean the company as every company has monetary interests, if that's good or bad is really just a matter of taste.
If the internet had taken the route those darn hippies wanted Google would probably be publically funded globally, completely unregulated, paving the way for free information for free people.
...I blame capitalism...
But in a world as it is maybe someone should start a fundraiser: FREE GOOGLE!

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I miss the old internet for sure.

The best internet was in the 90's: personal home pages, web rings, random links, personal guest books. Real friendships were made and gifts were sent in the mail, not 'likes' .

When the fanciest thing online was a grainy Real Video or a large image map.

The first death knell to me, was when Microsoft bought Hotmail.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   

spot. on.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 01:10 PM
link   

First time in a while that the first thing I read online gave me a genuine laugh.

Enter stage left - Deep Fake

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The worst is that if you want personal opinions and all you get is official websites.
If you wanted to know if someone had a similar experience, you just put in a relevant sentence and it came up with hundreds of people's individual posts.
Now I can't ever find personal accounts.
They are all from Quora or funnelled from social networks, where they can be overlooked cancelled [if deemed not appropriate].

I say the internet is pretty dead. At least the one which was fun, free and interesting.
What we have now is a sanctioned library.
Checked by the 'minders' before allowed out for the hoy polloy.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 09:25 PM
link   

A few years later blogspot and other similar platforms came out inviting people without coding abilities to speak their minds and you would type something into Google' and it would pop up so many different results from voices all over the world.

Actually the order was Bitnet, Darpa, Gopher, Wais, CompuServe, AOL, Internet (WWW) and the premier search engine was
Alta Vista using Netscape browser Mozilla, stolen by Netscape.

Google was a latecomer.

The granularity is approximate because it all happened so fast.

The most professional network was DecNet at the time but TCP/IP became the difacto standard for the Internet.

edit on 8-5-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Yes, I would say were all dead, and this is hell. The more people wake up, the faster reality will shift for the better of all.

A deep subject indeed.
edit on 9-5-2023 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 05:14 AM
link   
When the internet became real for the average person the message was "here is the gate to everything". Yippee!! we all thought and went prancing through only to discover the gate didn't lead to freedom but to a big corral. Everything is echoes and bots and finding original human voices is a rarity. If the internet were actually dead it would pose no danger but sadly it's very much alive with ill intent. Just ask Ron Paul.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Was thinking about this recently, as to what ever happened to those Internet-Bubbles™, that we were experiencing 7 or 10 years ago ?

What have they evolved into ?

Am aware that everything that is so-called " Smart™ ", is listening, and storing details, details, details, but it seemed to me back then, that it could have the potential to be taken much further.

So was wondering, if we're all in our own little Internet™ cocoon, that was symbolically shown in the Matrix™, as the cocoon scene where Neo breaks-out after having been Red-Pilled™ ?

A member makes a post here about meeting other people, and the post gets trashed ...

" Stay in your caves Citizens™.
We're only interested in your Data™, Attention™, and Thoughts™. "

( And here ole Nothin is, giving it away for free !! LoL !! Or is he ... LoL !! )

Another thought about another part of the OP : have mentioned in my comments here, a few times recently, that folks don't seem to notice that they are being Gaslighted™.

Every day, they get-up, make their coffee, tea, or morning health tonic, and go onto their favorite Website™ to see what's going-on.

There, at the top of the headlines : a shocking headline !!

" Insert-Threat-to-Scare,-Trigger,-and/or-Anger,-People™. "

Ensues a long thread, of folks just raging at the whatever, usually unclear, or obfuscated info source.
Then they write about it all day, in other threads.

Every day, wash, rinse, repeat.

Folks who lean to one side of any kind of spectrum, never wonder why folks from the other side spend so much time Trolling™ them. They never consider that it may be Bots™, or Shills™, or Agent-Smiths™.

Just knee-jerk reactionary posting, from a place of fear and anger, and keeping us away from our Loving and peaceful natures.

The price may be in losing some spontaneity, but me-thinks it can be done fluidly, and smoothly, just with a little bit of a personal filter used before responding.

Anyways, just some ideas.

edit on 9-5-2023 by Nothin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 07:58 AM
link   

nah the internet didn't get smaller, it just got so much bigger that it just creates so much noise only a few stand out.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Is The Internet Dead?

Worse than dead.

A tool that could have been used to usher in the greatest era in human civilization that's been reduced to TikTok.

The future of mankind.

Billions of people around the world with the attention spans of a gnat.

edit on 9-5-2023 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Indeed, I always thought about that, but you expressed it much better than my poor thoughts.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saturnschild

Yes. A technical limit. Its due to 1. not every item being counted is an indexed webpage 2. not every item being counted is available in your language 3. not every indexed item is still available 4. its prohibitively expensive to keep so much data 'hot' enough to access in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's an example for you:

Imagine you sold books.

You have over 300 million books about plants in various languages.

You have a sign up proudly stating "Over 300 million books about plants!"

One day you notice a trend, the books on the front display are actually bought the most because people are searching for them the most, so you move those - lets say 10 books, to a shelf that's immediately at the door. 99.999% of your transactions occur without issue.

For the other .001, how long do they spend wondering around your impossibly large warehouse to find what they are looking for? Days? Weeks? They actually don't.

How many millions do you spend trying to keep your entire collection 'hot' enough such that anyone can find anything they need in a reasonable amount of time when 99.999% of your transactions are from the shelf next to the door?

edit on 9-5-2023 by ASrubWhoDiedAgain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join