It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Humans could live for hundreds of years'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Click Me!Ananova:

'Humans could live for hundreds of years'

Scientists say people could live active lives for hundreds of years if humans follow the same biological rules as laboratory worms.

[Edited on 2003-10-23 by TejanoRey]

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events,
please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

Thats on the top of the page when you post a topic or reply.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
My bust..

In my opinion the only downfall to that is that your

But many people might find the price of immortality a little high. The worms with the longest lifespans also had their reproductive systems removed.

I don't think that is a fair trade to live that long.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I dont know about that Tejanorey. You could live a normal lifespan up until you were like 50, youve already had your kids and a good life so far. Then what you do is you have your balls removed and some prosthetic ones put in. Then you get testosterone injections on a regular basis and live for 500 years messing around not worrying about getting women pregnant. Although, I think there are some pretty complex hormones that allow the male to ahem, "finish" if you know what I mean. Even if you dont eject anything, the feeling would probably be gone also.

Problems with this would be the fact that divorce rates would skyrocket, who would want to be married to the same woman for 450+/- years? And the population fo the world would explode. No one dies, but many are born.

*end note - don't you love the "mommy" members who come in and tell you what youre doing wrong instead of contributing to the topic. For example they say, "Doesnt this thread belong in another forum?" or "DONT POST THE ENTIRE ARTICLE," like it really concerns them in any way. It's funny but sad.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
I dont know about that Tejanorey. You could live a normal lifespan up until you were like 50, youve already had your kids and a good life so far. Then what you do is you have your balls removed and some prosthetic ones put in. Then you get testosterone injections on a regular basis and live for 500 years messing around not worrying about getting women pregnant. Although, I think there are some pretty complex hormones that allow the male to ahem, "finish" if you know what I mean. Even if you dont eject anything, the feeling would probably be gone also.

Problems with this would be the fact that divorce rates would skyrocket, who would want to be married to the same woman for 450+/- years? And the population fo the world would explode. No one dies, but many are born.

*end note - don't you love the "mommy" members who come in and tell you what youre doing wrong instead of contributing to the topic. For example they say, "Doesnt this thread belong in another forum?" or "DONT POST THE ENTIRE ARTICLE," like it really concerns them in any way. It's funny but sad.

But at the present time our lifespan is like double than before..

I mean in teh time of egyptians the total average lifespan was 30 or so.

Also..there is plenty of room in the world..its just everybody WANTS to live in the same city..thus making it over populated. There are endless pieces of land that is untouched as to civilization.

And Yes..i agee with your last note..i think its funny.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TejanoRey
My bust..

In my opinion the only downfall to that is that your

But many people might find the price of immortality a little high. The worms with the longest lifespans also had their reproductive systems removed.

I don't think that is a fair trade to live that long.

yes id love to be 500 years old but if ilttle Ivan has to go i dont think so

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 05:21 PM
link   
500 years. and i thought the world was overpopulated enough already.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 05:31 PM
link   
"But at the present time our lifespan is like double than before..

I mean in teh time of egyptians the total average lifespan was 30 or so "

But in the Bible it says people lived for hundreds of years, and the bible must be right....right?

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Wow. Well has it been tested on humans ???

Yah..who would want their reproductive organs removed lol. But..who knows..good find though...very interesting indeed!

-wD

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewbacca
"But at the present time our lifespan is like double than before..

I mean in teh time of egyptians the total average lifespan was 30 or so "

But in the Bible it says people lived for hundreds of years, and the bible must be right....right?

I was talking about history and archeology that was taught in school...

also..

they mentioned that the 18 and 20's year old people were made into priests..that is sort of young to hold such high positions..

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I would be all for living 500+years. Unless your mind and body get older at the rate that we have now, but if we progressed at a normal 500+years span(whatever that means) I would be all for it

-Dagger

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I am pretty sure that you would age slower than people do presently. By altering the insulin and growth hormones it would decrease the rate of metabolic pathways and therefore reduce aging. Generally creatures with a high metabolism live shorter lives, men live shorter than women, gerbils die a lot sooner than tortoises.

Your quality of life would probably be diminished though, no sex organs. And I assume injecting sex hormones wouldn't be good, kind of defeats the purpose of removing them in the first place.

Not to mention the world would become quite overpopulated rather quickly if everyone did this. I would assume it would be expensive and the poor couldn't afford it. I learned in Human geography that most scientists who study it, say the earth can support around 11 billion people, some will even say as high as 20. It is not a matter of finding room for all of these people as someone suggested, but you have to feed them all too.

What would really suck is undergoing the procedure and having your sex organs removed when you are 20 in the hope that you could live to be 500. But then dying in a car accident when you are like 25. What a waste of all that sex.

This research might be a step in the right direction though.

join