It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t say ‘government’ in court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Courts, lawyers, District Attorneys are usually a bland subject. But sometimes they do provide a modicum of entertainment as shown in the following case.

Don’t say ‘government’ in court

A Tennessee assistant district attorney has admitted it: “government” is a dirty word. Assistant DA Tammy Rettig filed a motion to prevent defense attorney Drew Justic from using the phrase “the government” in an upcoming trial on the grounds that the term is “derogatory,” according to court documents.

“The State believes that such a reference is used in a derogatory way and is meant to make the State’s attorney seem oppressive and to inflame the jury.”

The "government" seen as oppressive? What could give them that idea? Not to be outdone defense attorney Drew Justic did the following:

Justice told The Daily Caller News Foundation that he “just thought it was a little bit silly,” and filed a fitting motion in response: he wanted to be called “Captain Justice” instead of the defense.

Justice added. “So to prevent the jury from being unfairly misled by this ancient English terminology, the opposition to the Plaintiff hereby names itself ‘the Resistance.’”

Viva the "Resistance!"

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Any last words sir?

THE GOVERNMENT!

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
on the surface it seems silly, but they are on to something very big.

Defendant: The term indicates one who is in trouble, and at this point in our history pretty much says, "he did something wrong the question is can they prove it." The label is troubling. While the government is indeed the government and it hard to get around that as there is no "person" involved, the terms used in court do more then they seem to.

I was involved in case where I was sued, specifically because I provoked this person to do so - long story/not relevant. My lawyer said, "oh, you need a defense lawyer" when I showed him the papers, and I said, "are you nuts, we agreed that this was the point, to provoke him to sue us." The point is the presence of the word "defendant" caused my lawyer, a very well respected one I might add, to default to the terms and not the case.

I can tell you from experience, the entire process would be wildly different and far more fair, were every one to be called by their name - no generic labels allowed. It is so easy to judge a defendant, so hard to judge Alice Smith.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If I were the defense lawyer, I would have so much fun with this:

"The state's hired goon theorizes ..."

"The oppressive regime's star witness has testified ..."

"Objection! The Constitutional Denier is leading the witness."

I would think up more during the time I spend locked up for contempt of court.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I would have got away with it to, if it werent for those pesky governent agents.

=/

new topics

top topics

join