It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Police Chief Sets Quota for Tickets, Tells Officers to Target Kids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
From the article:

The police chief of Brimfield Township in Ohio is being praised by people from around the country for announcing on his department's Facebook page that officers have been ordered to issue at least one ticket per shift, and are "strongly encourag[ed]" to target small children.

Before you get all bent out of shape, let's read a little more:

It's Opposite Summer in Brimfield, and any kid caught wearing a helmet while riding their bike will be stopped by police and issued a ticket — for a free ice cream cone.

What a wonderful way to promote safety and community. Even a local merchant is pitching in.

The owner of Frank’s Drive-In, which will be accepting the "tickets" all summer long, says he hopes the officers will also "write kids up" for "any act of kindness or bravery" that they witness.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

I think this is a wonderful idea.

If only they'd give ice cream for wearing seat belts...

S&F

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

That is the first time I have ever heard of Law Enforcement Admitting to a Quota. And for Good Reason I might add.

It is Great to see someone Encouraging Good Behavior.

Now if this could just rub off on other law enforcement agencies around the US we might just see some improvement in OUR Kids.

Thanks for posting this. You get an Att-a-Boy for the day.

I am going to print the article and give it to some officers I know in a couple of different cities. Maybe it might inspire them.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Haha I almost spazzed out. "What the hell kind of police state targets.. OOO ICE CREAM!"

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Along the same lines....

I live in a small town. Our police department hosts a bike safety day for children six and under. They set up a "roadway" with chalk and traffic cones in a huge parking lot. All the little kids bring their bikes and helmets and get a lesson on bike safety. They learn how to ride the bike, what to do in case of a wreck, how to stay lout of traffic, etc.

It's always a lot of fun for the kiddies and helpful for the parents. Good PR for the police department, too (although our PD is top notch).

Stories like these just make me smile.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
An ice cream for wearing a helmut?

I must be old enough to remember having a perfectly safe childhood with NO helmut. I'm not sure when that trend came into being . . . it must have been about the same time that personal responsibility went out of fashion. How do kids learn their boundaries and learn to be safe if everything is "protected" for them?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Its a nice gesture but free ice cream for kids(helmet or no helmet) does not makeup for all the Police brutality being perpetrated against the rest of the general populace these days!

He must be one of the good cops.
LoL

Just hope you never encounter the bad cops!
edit on 4-6-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lukku
...perfectly safe childhood with NO helmut...

I think it may have affected your spelling ability.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Ha, ha! Actually that is age, eye and small screen related!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
OMG, I was about to throw a huge "tantrum" right now because I didn't understand "Giving tickets for wearing a helmet" So I had to re-read to see they were promoting public safety.

Great find friend, only if more police departments across the country shows to type of kindness.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well, nice, in one way. But ice cream? Very unhealthy "food". And here we have authority figures saying that it is a wonderful food. Sad. Make mine Rice Dream, with a side of yummy.
edit on 5-6-2013 by Aleister because: an extra floating "

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Though I appreciate that positive reinforcement is a better performer than negative I'd still be pretty pissed if a cop stopped me while I was out having fun to hand me a ticket for an ice cream cone.

It's kind of like a doctor calling you and asking you to come to the office then once you get there he hands you an ice cream cone. The ice cream doesnt make up for the anxiety or the inconvenience.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Well, nice, in one way. But ice cream? Very unhealthy "food". And here we have authority figures saying that it is a wonderful food. Sad. Make mine Rice Dream, with a side of yummy.
edit on 5-6-2013 by Aleister because: an extra floating "

Maybe you would prefer a Bloomberg-approved, 4-ounce diet soda? Or a package of frozen broccoli?

join