It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traveling the world in 2 years!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
So here it goes, yet another thread about me needing advice on my life and my relationships that I ALLWAYS seem to mess up. Welcome to the life of a telemarketer, as I'm typing away on my iPhone I have to take a brief pause every minute to answer a call from an angry person somewhere in America threatening my excistance. Sorry to anyone reading that I might have offended by interrupting dinner time...anyways, to start from the very beginning would be overkill. So il pass up the boring parts and catch you up.

5 years ago I stumbled accross a blonde girl that would change my life in so many ways. The last post I had here on ATS I was going through some really dark times, in a rut with my relationship and fed up with life. No car, no job, no house and a failing relationship. ATS had my back and so many people wrote me personal messages praying for me and giving me advice. The best advice anyone has ever givin me. Now I have a descent paying job, nice car, my own place, and a failed relationship. The girl of my dreams and the love of my life left me. No one else is to blame for this but myself. After five years a relationship is pretty tuff to end. After all of the planning and time you spend with that other person to start from scratch is insane. Something I'm trying hard to overcome since it has happened a few times but this time it's the real deal.

So anyways I'm gettin through that, it's difficult but I can do it. I'm planning on going in a backpacking trip around the world now, not just because my girlfriend broke up with me but because its something I have ALLWAYS wanted to do but never had courage to actually do it. I've been planning my life an everything I've ever done around this relationhip and now that it's over with il have to start planning for me. So the question to all of you is simply this, is this a good idea?

My passion In life is to be a photo journalist and screen writer, I'm sure I can meet all different kinds of connections and new people. And I'm 24 I want to experience something insanely fantastic to look back on and also make connections for a job for after the 2-4 years is up. I want to backpack across the world. And experience something other then slaving away in society, drivin to and from work 45 min, spending an hour or two in traffic a day, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on gas. I want to be free and do new things. Since me and my best friend signed a 14 month lease that my girlfriend barley stayed for a month an dipped just a week ago I have 13 months to save up and plan..so anyone here ever do this? How much should i try and save? i want it to be as cheap as possible, Can anyone recommend any good sites? I googled but nothin that great came up for me. Sorry this is so long! I just had to vent. Thanks ATS for being my therapist...I have problems lol
edit on 1-3-2013 by Gazrok because: Edited to add some paragraphs, and will be moving to the Relationship Forum

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You sound young. I am 47 and let me tell you I have followed every dream I have ever had. Running out to see the world is a heck of an adventure, one that is easier with a little bit of money. When you get low on cash head for Amsterdam, lots of ummm errr "trimming plant" jobs there year round.

Most importantly make a plan about what you will do when you get a bit older. Mine was to play hard doing what I wanted for 30 years. I got serious about making money only after I lived through all the fun times I had. It can be done but make a plan or you will get stranded somewhere. Somewhere overseas or somewhere in life.

Enjoy yourself, Girls come and go and I truly think we were never meant to stay with just one person for life.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Thisbseth

I have a boring office job, and a hellish commute to work and I often dream if I was ever made redundant or my partner left me I would get on the first plane I could find and explore the world. Sometimes you gotta just be brave and go for it, especially at your age while young enough to handle it.

Try the Lonelyplanet website which is a good place to research travelling to other countries. Or what about joining the navy?

Also, whilst your travelling can you bring back some carriage returns? (just kidding)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
You sound young. I am 47 and let me tell you I have followed every dream I have ever had. Running out to see the world is a heck of an adventure, one that is easier with a little bit of money. When you get low on cash head for Amsterdam, lots of ummm errr "trimming plant" jobs there year round.

Most importantly make a plan about what you will do when you get a bit older. Mine was to play hard doing what I wanted for 30 years. I got serious about making money only after I lived through all the fun times I had. It can be done but make a plan or you will get stranded somewhere. Somewhere overseas or somewhere in life.

Enjoy yourself, Girls come and go and I truly think we were never meant to stay with just one person for life.

Some wise words right there for you...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Thisbseth

Hey man! I was in the same boat but am planning the same thing with my girl in 2 years! I'm
A filmmaker and she's a painter and we want to spend 2 years travelling the world to every place possible!

Maybe see you around haha.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Good decision dude,

Travelling to other countries and spending time in other cultures broadens your mind like you wouldnt believe.

As for how much money, as much as possible is the short answer, how much you spend will depend on where you go and what you do.
Sth America, Africa and Asia are cheap by Western standards but Ive heard its possible to do Europe on a shoestring budget if you eat and sleep cheap.

As for what to do or what websites to check out, Id say just do your own thing. If you like nature google waterfalls or mountains, if you like food or architectue or historical stuff google that and see what you find.

Blaze your own path and when you decide where you want to go thats when you look at things like lonely planet.

Good luck with it mate Im sure youll have a blast

top topics

join