It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop found not guilty of assault despite video proof

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

A former police officer fired for hitting a woman in the face says he wants his job back after a judge acquitted him this week of charges related to the beating. Municipal Judge Patrick Dugan ruled on Tuesday that Jonathan Josey, an ex-cop let go from the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania police department last year, is not guilty of assault. Josey, a 19-year veteran of the force, was fired over the incident, which was video recorded on a camera phone and quickly spread virally on the Internet.

Judge Dugan says he was “troubled” by the footage, but refused to let the clip be introduced into the court as evidence because it failed to accurately depict a chaotic and volatile scene.

RT NEWS

As an Ex Cop (Non-Us) I have to say that I am appalled by this!
There is video evidence in a case but the Judge refuses to allow it to be used.

I truly am concerned for my American Cousins, day by day more and more of this type of heavy handed and often (but not always) brutal policing takes place on American soil against American Citizens.

This really does need to stop! I know this has been said a millions times before on ATS but these people are supposed to be there to protect you.

No wonder the government wants to ban certain weapons, because then you truly will be submissive.

Don't let them beat you down America, stand up for your rights! God bless.
edit on 27-2-2013 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2013 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ah you got it.

Highly inappropriate for a LE officer to be punching someone in the face, even if she had in fact spilled beer on him. At the same time, how stupid can you be? Spraying cops with silly string?

When I first viewed that video a long time ago I thought it looked like the cop was trying to grab her and accidentally clocked her, but after blowing it up on the new laptop it does appear he loses it and cold clocks her.

For the most part I support cops, but not when they act out of bounds, though I understand how someone can lose their temper they need to be well adjusted enough to not hit people.
edit on 27-2-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Thanks domo, kept missing my keys

We were confident all along that once we had the opportunity to present the facts and circumstances of the incident in a courtroom, as opposed to the court of social media, that Jonathan Josey would be vindicated," defense lawyer Fortunato Perri Jr. tells a local NBC affiliate. Attorneys for the plaintiff disagree, though, and say they may file civil charges against the officer. “It’s obvious from looking at the video that this was an intentional act,” Guzman's attorney Enrique Latoison tells CBS Philly. “The officer took three steps towards my client and then slugged her in the face.”

I truly do hope that civil proceedings are taken against the officer. I can see the point of not wanting a trial by social media but this is video evidence. A court should at least be able to view the content and then make an informed decision.

I have no doubt that the Officer will now also receive a large lump sum payout for loss of earnings, damages, hurt feelings yada yada. It stinks (Sorry but this type of thing makes me so angry).

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Wow talk about a let down. Corruption alive and thriving.

I also thought it would be nice to tag your thread with the original from back when this happened.
Seems there will be a bunch of let down ATS members after reading that thread. I found it yesterday when it was hit with this news.

Officer Who Hit Woman Will Be Fired

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Maybe the judge aligns himself with the cop because he is also abusive? Its hard to say judges don't align themselves with defendants or plaintiffs. They're supposed to be impartial, but they're human like everyone else. Anyone with any rational sense can see that this officer was totally out of line. For a judge not to allow the video to be admissible is a travesty of justice.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
For one, defence lawyers are scum. Along with bankers, they’re a cancer on society.

Anyway, when have police ever been there to protect the citizens? They carry guns and other weapons solely to protect themselves. They’re not armed to protect you. They’re armed to protect themselves from you. They’re nothing more than henchmen for governments. Granted the majority of police officers are good and have the community’s best interests at heart, though many are hamstrung having to enforce ludicrous laws, but there’s an ever increasing number who turn the other way and operate for themselves. More so in the US than in Australia, but when the “gangland war” was at its height during the 90’s and 2000’s in Melbourne, there were more than enough corrupt pigs getting around helping the crims. Though, the gangland wars in the US (Chicago) but particularly in Mexico makes us look like a kindergarten playground...

This is a pretty appalling example of police brutality almost being accepted by the establishment. Roles reversed and she hit him under the exact same circumstances not only would the video have been shown in court, she’d probably be face a few years behind bars. Instead, he walks free without conviction and due to that he, unfortunately, has good grounds to be reinstated, despite the assault he committed because he can turnaround and say “well, I wasn’t convicted of any crime, I want my job back”.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join