It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flu shot does not protect aginst H3N2v

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I have to make this quick...

Flu.gov is reporting that the strain that is sickining so many, (H3N2) is not in the current flu shot.

www.flu.gov...#

Mainstream media, is reporting that thos years flu shot it IS a good match. I can't find the link, but the story stated that the shot was a good match.

I had everything detailed in an email I sent to lots of family members with facts and links, but oddly enough, that email is not in my sent messages folder, or any other folder for that matter. I know it went out because I got a response from someone. I followed up with one about how to prevent the flu to the same people. That one is in my sent messaged folder.

Strange...

Oh, and intrestingly enough. Flu.gov is making a distinction between the "seasonal flu" and the H3N2v... and it's the H3N2v that's causing the problem...

www.abc2news.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

I'm sure you're correct. I have just recently got over the flu. I have been sick since last Tuesday. (GI Flu). Even went to the hospital because I was so confused as to why this flu appeared to get worse on the fourth day.
Although, I never get flu shots because frankly, I don't trust them.

The doctor told me that the flu strand I had was only a week old and they had traced it back to Australia. (I live in the midwest). Traveled pretty quick for a week huh?
Everyone in the area is coming down with it. So wash you hands folks!!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hmmm interesting... I was under the assumption that I would be fine because of my flu shot. I'm not so much as worried for myself as I am for my kids. I work for multiple hospitals here in Iowa and I have not heard anything about this yet.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Three weeks ago the media reported the flu shot wasn't a good match, then about a week ago on the evening news they started saying it was a good fit. Its hard to figure out what strand is prevalent, what is in the vaccine by the media.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It isn't a question of when....and it never has been. A flu pandemic with unthinkable fatality rates will happen again. It's come before to prove the point and to this day...no one who matters can well explain where The Spanish Lady came from or where it went after it killed millions.

Is this a warm-up to The Lady's return? Is it a little brat from the pack come out to annoy us instead? Hard to say...but it does sound as thought the immunity is low to zero. I guess never getting the shot makes this better for me in that I never had false hopes of protection. If I get it, I get it ...just like every year.

If this turns out to be The Lady come calling for an encore? Well..... Life is 100% fatal and chasing immortality it a fools game. It will come someday. in some form. Life's too short to worry about what form might be 'the one', IMO.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

It says here that a "H3N2-like" strain is included in this year's vaccine.

2012/2013 vaccine strain selection

Based on that information and the recommendations of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, the strains selected for inclusion in the 2012-2013 flu vaccines are:
• A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like virus
A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2)-like virus
• B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like virus.

I think the one you linked to is a variant (AKA Swine Flu) with a much smaller number of cases.

H3N2v is a variant of H3N2 influenza virus that infected 321 people in the United States in 2011 and 2012.

H3N2v case count

edit on 14-1-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
H3N2 is covered in the current vaccine but it is also a strain that tends to sicken people worse:

FDA Press Announcement

Based on that information and the recommendations of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, the strains selected for inclusion in the 2012-2013 flu vaccines are: A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like virus A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2)-like virus B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like virus.

It is the varient H3N2v that is not covered in the vaccine but does not seem to be the strain making so many sick.

A number of human infections with a variant influenza A H3N2 virus ("H3N2v") have been detected in the United States since August 2011 (see Case Count: Detected U.S. Human Infections with H3N2v by State since August 2011). These are viruses that do not usually infect people but that occur in pigs and that are very different from human seasonal H3N2 viruses. Most of the recent infections with H3N2v have occurred after contact with pigs. Influenza viruses are thought to spread from infected pigs to humans in the same way that seasonal influenza viruses spread between people.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
H3N2 is what is in pigs.

It becomes H3N2v (a varient) when it's found in humans.

www.cdc.gov...

Flu.gov says the kind found in humans (H3N2v) is not covered. There is not vaccine for it. H3N2v is not the "seasonal flu". But it is "the flu". Just not "seasonal".

Most people here "the flu shot is a good match for this years flu" when what they actually say is the flu shot is a good match for this years SEASONAL flu".

The primary strain this season is the H3N2

They leave off the "v" 'cause they don't know the difference between the v and non v.

Remember H3N2 = in a pig only. H3N2v = found in a human.

seattletimes.com...

It's confusing, but the bottom line is that there seems to be no vaccine for the H3N2v that infects humans.

Wash your hands and keep them away from your face!
edit on 14-1-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A number of human infections with a variant influenza A H3N2 virus ("H3N2v") have been detected in the United States since August 2011.These are viruses that do not usually infect people but that occur in pigs and that are very different from human seasonal H3N2 viruses.Most of the recent infections with H3N2v have occurred after contact with pigs. Influenza viruses are thought to spread from infected pigs to humans in the same way that seasonal influenza viruses spread between people.i am also giving you this expert link for your queries.
-----------------------------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

top topics

join