It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

There's no need to get all defensive and threatened. I'm trying to be an objective observer of society. By the way I'm right on the border between gen X and Y, just in X, and I don't feel personally insulted by someone else's observations of society.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well, lets attempt to get back on track, I'm unsure that the problem will work itself out without intervention of some kind. Let's just not make it worse by doing the wrong things for the right reason. It might be painful but everything worth doing is and what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger. No more finger pointing please. The issue effects us all equally.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

That reply was not to your comment. Guess I'll do that here.

I actually like Metallica but that doesn't mean that others would not label their music however they may.

As for trends in 21st century western society I think little has really changed. I think that the media has always shown a false reality while in real life people acted just as shallow, narcissistic and materialistic as ever. I have also found out that older people lie about how things/they were in their youth.
edit on 12-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

What are you talking about. What are "we" going to do? Whatever it is that you think you see as a problem doesn't affect me at all.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
All generations are the same. It's the mental conditioning of every human being on this planet that is to blame for our social breakdown. Most of us are mentally ungrounded and have no clue who we are, it's just a matter of time before some random person snaps. Every aspect of our hamster wheel, money chasing, compassionless and self-decieivng society is to blame. Every generation living in depleted world that was created by the previous ignorant generation.

With all of the negative, inhumane aspects of our society (both in our homes, workplaces and schools), It is a purely random coincidence that one of us snaps and does something terrible. Don't believe this compartmentalized scientific crap.

EVERY generation is responsible for creating this uninhabitable planet.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Of course it effects you. You just don't think it does. It may no effect you for 10 years. Decisions will be made to deal with the problem. One would hop anyway. Those decisions will effect future generations which will effect you. There is no doubt. The decision to stop spanking children has effected society. The decision to slow the progress of a class in order to allow slower students to keep up effects you. Just because it is not in your face does not mean you are not effected or at some point will be.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

You seem to want to talk about Metallica more than the rest of what I said. LOL. Must be a fan. I just put that there for fun. Commenting on a single band or artist is really very little to do with the points I made.

I disagree with your views on society I believe it is changing quite rapidly.
edit on 12-1-2013 by JimTSpock because: add

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I wrote more than 3 lines addressing your other point. I only mentioned Metallica because you seemed to have brought them up as an example of something deep and I pointed out that some people may not feel that they are deep at all.

Maybe what is changing isn't society but you.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Just because you see a problem doesn't mean that one really exists.

When was the decision to stop spanking made. I know kids that have been spanked fairly recently.

Slowing down classes doesn't affect people who have already graduated. There was a time when large portions of the population had no formal schooling at all and some would refer to those times as the good old days.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Maybe what is changing isn't society but you.
Society isn't changing? Really. I guess if we come back and have a look in 25 years it will not have changed then?
Obviously completely inaccurate.

The structure and dynamics of human society are constantly evolving and changing.
edit on 12-1-2013 by JimTSpock because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

The more things change the more they stay the same. I can look back 25 years and see that the Party Rock video looks a lot like the days of break dancing. I can go back even further and watch how John Travolta getting ready to go out in "Saturday Night Fever" looks a hell of a lot like the "Jersey Shore" group getting ready to go to the club.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

That's an interesting view. You don't watch Jersey shore do you? LOL.
edit on 12-1-2013 by JimTSpock because: add

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

You have to watch or listen to something at least once if you want to criticize it.

Almost 50 years ago the Beatles invaded the US. You had tons of girls screaming their heads off and fainting with the hope in their heart that if their favorite of the fab four laid eyes on her he may come to realize that she was the one for him. How narcissistic was that?

Also on a daily basis kids have dressed and done whatever was trendy at the time to fit in or to catch someones eye. We're talking thousands of years if not from the very start. It is shallow, self-obsessed, narcissistic and materialistic but what I don't understand is why it is now being labeled a problem.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The entire world see's a problem. Dunno how your missing it, I guess ignorance is bliss. We stopped spanking kids in school in 70's-80's so dunno where you've been. You can be arrested or your children taken away from you if caught spanking your child in most states.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

The entire world? I don't think so.

I was physically punished in the 80's and knew and have known dozens of other kids that were and have been spanked since then so, while the law against it may be on the books it doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

The ignorance is bliss card doesn't play here. I have given valid examples to back up my position.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

And others have given valid examples that contradict your opinion. We certainly want all opinions. Your statement of fact that we don't have a problem does is based solely on your opinion. When did your opinion become the only one worth noting?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

Your statement of fact that we don't have a problem does is based solely on your opinion. When did your opinion become the only one worth noting?

No it isn't based just on my opinion. It is based on the fact that what you are describing as a problem has always existed and it was not labeled a problem before, so there is no logic in doing so now, unless there is some agenda behind it or someone just needed to write something/anything to move his career along.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It has not always existed. Past generations did not have the technology we have today. They did not have cell phones, Facebook, internet. Little things like allowing the use of calculators in math class strips the student of valuable critical thinking. I got straight A's in math and used a pencil,paper and my brain. We were not allowed to use calculators. That may sound silly but the little things do matter and there are huge differences in society then and now. We were outdoors hiking,biking,mowing yards for 2 bucks and playing sports. This generation entertains themselves with their X-box etc. You seldom see kids outside playing.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Maybe I wasn't clear. The idea of the OP is that adults today are raising a generation of deluded narcissists. My point is that every generation of adults throughout history has raised a generation of deluded narcissists. It is human nature and it was never deemed a problem before.

For at least the last hundred years every new generation of deluded narcissists had little things that their parents did not have but this really didn't keep the majority from maturing and realizing that they were not the center of the universe sooner or later.

If you still see a problem and feel you can make a difference then by all means have at it. I've had my say and I will not be loosing any sleep over what seems like a mountain made out of a mole hill.

edit on 13-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I would disagree, past generations did not coddle their kids. They did not give them trophies when they lost. They spanked them when they acted out. They commanded respect for their elders. They taught them values. Yes, they told them that if they worked hard they could be anything they wanted to be. The similarities end there.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join