It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge blocks Pennsylvania voter ID law

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
reply to post by Indigo5

How is it voter supression to make people show their ID and prove that they are really who they say they are to prevent voting fraud? I have never understood the argument against having to show conclusively that you are a legitimate citizen of the U.S. in order to be able to vote. It seems like a no brainer to me.
edit on 2-10-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

OK...Large portions of the inner city, where folks don't drive cars...many parts of rural America where they can't afford a car...Large portions of the elderly community that no longer drives...do not have Drivers Liscences.

In states that tried ...some succesful...to pass the Voter ID laws...the GOP legislatures were required to make available the Voter IDs...and approved offices where a voter could obtain a Voter ID.. and those offices are open 3 times a month during work hours and located 50 miles from the city...see how that works? For people that by definition dont own cars? The closer to election time you pass these laws...the more you screw people...specifically the Poor and Elderly...

All those unfortunate people you named are required to have ID to get on welfare and medicare/medicaid.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

This law requires voters to have a completely new and separate ID for voting other than the regular legal documents proving you are a legitimate citizen

Nope. They seem to just want proof of who you say you are.

The law also says other forms of ID are acceptable, such as military ID cards, U.S. passports, identification cards from accredited Pennsylvania colleges or universities or state senior care facilities, or other photo identification cards issued by the federal, Pennsylvania, county or municipal governments.

This seems to me to mostly focus on the indigent.

Most other people have a photo ID (or some other form of ID) to get through daily life.

Edited to add that the photo isn't important, but rather some way of reasonably proving you are who you say you are.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

All those unfortunate people you named are required to have ID to get on welfare and medicare/medicaid.

No...they are not...Indisputably false.

I took my Aunt to the SS office last week to enroll in Medicaid. She has an expired DL. She provided her nursing home bill, signed an oath stating she was who she was, gave her SS# etc.

No Photo ID required...

Secondly...WTF?? Why are you assuming that anyone that does not have a car...is on Welfare or Mediciad?

Many of the working poor of the inner city, rural south etc. are niether on welfare nor drive.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If you can get to a polling station you can get to a place to get an ID. 5 weeks isn't long enough?? 10 minutes in line in Michigan

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Good. Voter suppression hasn't been this blatant since the KKK had literacy tests for blacks in the South right after the Civil War.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by KoolerKing
reply to post by KoolerKing

I also think that if we do have voter id laws then everyone shoould get a receipt.
Those receipts and all others show be crossed referenced into a data base.
We should be then able to verify every vote is legal and counted.

You do get a receipt. Or, you get a stub, anyway. Proof that you voted.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
If you can get to a polling station you can get to a place to get an ID. 5 weeks isn't long enough?? 10 minutes in line in Michigan

Well, this is PA and it takes hours just to get your driver's license renewed. We have the largest population of elderly in the country. You've got Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between. NO public transportation in many areas and many people just don't have a way to get there.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This ruling gives me hope for the system again a little bit.

How at all, is considering the elderly, non citizens, a good thing?

To restrict voting rights is to be treasonous in favor of election results which hold favorable for said law makers.

This is a serious issue, and it is far from over, but for the time being we as Americans can sigh some relief as our parents and grandparents in Pa can actually vote.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Seems like the republicans won't be able to screw people out of their chance to vote in this election. And with the republicans behind in both the presidential and senate polls looks like things aren't going to be good for them. Better luck next time.

Before this judgement was made, Romney said he had a little secret, that he was going to take Pennsylvania. I think his secret has just crumbled. Corbett has lost a lot of support since he became governor of Pennsylvania. Little secret or not, I doubt Romney will take a strong blue state like Pennsylvania.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

Justice has been served, thank the gods!

One elderly woman was shown to have to go to the dmv over four times, they kept telling her she had the wrong forms.

Then you have to go to other agencies, to get the forms, that they want for identification.

the constitution would call this government interference in the right to vote.

Pennsylvania didn't even have the facilities to handle all the voter id requests in time. They did not provide seperate kiosks for those only going to get their voter ID, so those who were only going for a voter ID had to wait hours in line with people handling issues and renewing tags.

You assume that all members at the dmv are on the up and up, in allowing people to get their IDs.

There has been no voter fraud in the history of PA, but the amount of ID fraud that goes on in the US is now big business on the internet and for the Chinese.

Having and ID does nothing to make the process fraud free.

I would rather there be fraud, then one legit citizen be denied the right to vote.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join