It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired military leaders say this generation is "too fat to fight"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
We've all heard for quit some time now how 1/3 of United States popualtion is overweight. And even though we have seen numerous young people that are struggling with obesity, I never stopped to think about the way it effects those wanting to enlist in the military.
It does create a big problem for the Military, no pun intended:

(CBS News) Is obesity America's greatest threat to national security?

A group of retired military leaders seem to think so, given 27 percent of 17 to 24-year-olds in the United States are too fat to serve in the military. That's 9 million potential recruits.

In their new report dubbed "Too Fat to Fight," the nonpartisan group of 100 retired generals and admirals known as Mission: Readiness calls on the U.S. government to reduce the amount of junk foods available at schools in favor of healthier options.

"Being overweight or obese turns out to be the leading medical reason why applicants fail to qualify for military service," the group says in the report. "Today, otherwise excellent recruit prospects, some of them with generations of sterling military service in their family history, are being turned away because they are just too overweight."

www.cbsnews.com...

Teaching healthy habits starts in childhood, the leaders note, so a properly managed school environment could help foster a lifetime of healthy eating habits.

They want Congress to pass new child nutrition legislation that bars junk food from schools, increases funding to improve the nutrition and quality of school meals and provides children better access to programs that promote health.

Citing Department of Defense data that 75 percent of young Americans can't join the military because they did not graduate from high school, have criminal records or are physically unfit, the group of retired military leaders has set their sights on combating obesity.

The parents also need to watch what they feed their kids and limit the amount of junk food at home. Quit loading up the grocery carts with sweets and chips and focus more on healthy foods. And limit the amount of food they eat. In other words, don't let them just keep stuffing their face until they are overly full.
And plenty of exercise....take a break from video games and computers.

Schools can only do so much, the responsibility still lies on the up bringing and guidance from the parents IMO.
edit on 25-9-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Funny you can't be in the military with a record but you can still serve in the government. Did the military ever stop to think that the kids finally figured out if I'm fat I won't got to war?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
mcdonalds, kfc, artificial sugars and monsanto. america did this to their own ppl

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Stop telling us to stop being fat and stop the government from putting all kinds of drugs and chemicals in our food that's making us fat.

And I hate the word epidemic. There's really not many fat people in comparison to the rest of the country. Using the word epidemic is fear mongering to raise money to get even richer.

There's a good Penn And Teller Bullsh** on this junk. It's called Obesity and goes into how the so called obesity epidemic is all a scam done by the health food manufactures.. I can't post it here or a link to it because it has vulgar language and nudity in it. But you can find it on you tube, and I'd recommend it.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage
mcdonalds, kfc, artificial sugars and monsanto. america did this to their own ppl

True.....

But the parents should be more mindful of the foods their kids eat.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
artificial sugars are responsible for diabetes.

gmo is responsible for destroying ur gene pool little by little

the noxious fumes responsible for lowering your life span

the processed meats are responsible for intestinal cancers

radiation dumping in your waters responsible for radiation cancers in throat from eating high radiation contaminated seafood

americans are really stupid. sorry it's the truth. u run down money, forget about family and what's really important. seek no spiritual light and think the whole world is black and white. all in the name of capitalism profit and greed with a lack of compassion or humanity.

as u make ur bed.. so shall u lay in it!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Stop telling us to stop being fat and stop the government from putting all kinds of drugs and chemicals in our food that's making us fat.

And I hate the word epidemic. There's really not many fat people in comparison to the rest of the country. Using the word epidemic is fear mongering to raise money to get even richer.

There's a good Penn And Teller Bullsh** on this junk. It's called Obesity and goes into how the so called obesity epidemic is all a scam done by the health food manufactures.. I can't post it here or a link to it because it has vulgar language and nudity in it. But you can find it on you tube, and I'd recommend it.

What a cop out. Exercise, eat organic meats and vegetables, and have some self control and limit portion size.

The government isn't forcing anyone to sit in fast food line ups and gorge on high fat/sugary foods, or sitting anyone on their couch in front of their 50' plasma tv for 5 hours to watch American idol.

Get a grip.

top topics

join