It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amelia Earhart 75th Anniversary Prompts New Expedition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Amelia Earhart 75th Anniversary Prompts New Expedition

gma.yahoo.com

In honor of the 75th anniversary of Amelia Earhart's disappearance, The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) is setting out to search for Earhart's plane, the Electra, at Nikumaroro, an island in the western Pacific Ocean, where they believe Earhart was stranded and later died
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

edit on 2-7-2012 by phrankie79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Interesting. Hopefully they will find some tangible evidence, that can finally put this case to rest

.I always leaned towards reports that she and noonan were somehow captured by the japanese and later died and the US govt. covered it up. Her family also belives this to be the case. Some believe she was part of a special recon group, recruited by roosevelt himself,

www.shortnews.com

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by phrankie79

Interesting. Hopefully they will find some tangible evidence, that can finally put this case to rest

.I always leaned towards reports that she and noonan were somehow captured by the japanese and later died and the US govt. covered it up. Her family also belives this to be the case. Some believe she was part of a special recon group, recruited by roosevelt himself,

www.shortnews.com]short story[/url]

This was looked into in the 1970s I believe. The problem is that there are no Japanese records stating that she was captured - and even more damningly there wasn't a big Japanese military presence in the area at that time. A year of two later and it would have been different, but not at that time. No, she and Noonan went down near or on Gardner Island.
edit on 2-7-2012 by AngryCymraeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well, regardless. Hopefully something will be found that can shed some light on what actually happened.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I love mysteries like this but thats how it should stay,It would be interesting to know what happened to her though,my gut feeling is her plane ran out of fuel & crashed,killing her & her co-pilot.
The episode of star trek voyager with her in it was really good.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Come to Atchison Kansas to celebrate! That is where she was born and they have a big celebration every year. For this small town it is a big deal. You can even tour her family house. Ugh I can't believe I just typed this.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It looks as if they're off too finally set the record straight as to what happened. It appears, from evidence gathered previously, they more than likely starved to death, or just succumbed to the elements.

HONOLULU (Reuters) - Researchers seeking to chronicle Amelia Earhart's fate 75 years after she vanished over the Pacific set off from Hawaii on a $2 million expedition on Tuesday to look for wreckage of her plane near a remote island where they believe the U.S. aviator died a castaway

Discovered items include what appears to be jar of a once-popular brand of anti-freckle cream from the 1930s, a clothing zipper from the same decade, a bone-handled pocket knife of the type Earhart carried, and piles of fish and bird bones indicative of a Westerner trying to survive

Link

top topics

join