It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive Evidence - Experts Speak Out - Psychologists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Newly-uploaded and eye-opening video by A&E 9/11-Truth where psychologists look into the reasons why people still deny the overwhleming emprical evidence contradicting the official story, 'exceptionalism' and 'cognitive dissonance' are a few reasons they cite.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Interesting stuff in the vid....But i don't have a problem dissecting the information out there....but then i do not drink the water...and I have not taken the red pill or the blue pill....so i guess that leaves my mind clear.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathan-D

It's interesting how many of the things that are said in this vid about the way the American people think about their country and leaders are blatantly obvious to people from other countries.

Infact, the holier then thou attitude that comes across in virtually all media from America has long been an arguing point in most of the households that i have been in.

Other countries may do bad things, but at least they are usually honest about it: "yes we blew up that building" and so on.....

The American government has been caught out in so many lies now that it's amazing the American people have not noticed yet, especially considering the American "Don't tread on me" social concept.

It's sad really.

Guys: Your government is NOT your friend. it's your boss. It cares little for the individual as this would contradict it's actual job which is to maintain control and power over the sprawling masses and in turn to maintain it's own existence.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Cognitive Dissonance!

My favorite...

There's a whole host of reasons... just of the top of my head the terms of cognitive bias' such as Normalcy Bias, Belief bias, confirmation bias, a twist on illusionary correlation, stereotyping and many more.

Each individual is different, but from what I've observed... many(terms I listed) cognitive bias' are at play all at one time for some, or individual ones are just more so strongly rooted in others.

A cognitive bias describes a replicable pattern in perceptual distortion, inaccurate judgment, illogical interpretation, or what is broadly called irrationality.

This also applies to those on the other side of the coin... they also may relate to those that believe that 9-11 was in fact an inside job, and through such things as confirmation bias and other cognitive trickery... they often find themselves defending their stance on pure nonsense.

These Bias' and Dissonance are the VERY REASON why we are incorrect a majority of the time, when it comes to comprehending the truth behind events, for our very perceptions seeing through a filter of bias upon interpretation.

I have not watched the video yet, but it sounds interesting... if there is anybody up for a debate or further discussing this topic... let me know.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

What I was thinking,is that Amerca has cognitive dissonance. The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent belief in an impending apocalypse.

[ Perhaps the most famous case in the early study of cognitive dissonance was described by Leon Festinger and others in the book When Prophecy Fails.[7] The authors infiltrated a religious group that was expecting the imminent end of the world on a certain date. When that date passed without the world ending, the movement did not disband. Instead, the group came to believe that they had been spared in order to spread their teachings to others, a justification that resolved the conflict between their previous expectations and reality. en.wikipedia.org...

See,the UFO,represents Americas delusion that they are the "greatest" and that they are superior. It is clear that America is no better than anyone else. Third happiest OECD nation behind Australia and Norway. Just another country. They dont even have a AAA credit rating for god sake. Their country is a mess. They cant pay their debt and China is buying their government amongst other things. The are not the "greatest". And Americas history has been sold as great propaganda to them. They (not all) fully believe they are gods gift to the world. Our saviours. What a joke. This is clear to all but them. Even though its obvious,they refuse to accept it. They believe in a false prochecy even when it fails. In fact,its failure only strengthens their belief.

Imagine if you had a mate,and all he ever did was take credit for everything,and he didnt appreciate your help. And then he ran around constantly shouting "I AM THE GREATEST!". I dont hang out with dudes like that. Who would?

Thats an old post of mine from another thread.

In my opinion, Americans have a severe case of 'cognitive dissonance' that goes beyond the 911 thing.

Its just a fancy way of saying that they are all deluded. Pyschologists are gypsie flim flam men, but their nonsense is great for making fun of people.
Jest of course.

Americans are deluded. It is clear.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
choose capitalism, get fascism; Then be all like, uhh i dunno what your on about, were a land built on freedom, no way the plan coulda changed.

Australia was smart about it, there just sitting back chilling, yer mrs queen don't worry about us we still fly the jack, don't worry America, well put up with ya...for now (T)uhahaha
cos they know there gonna clean up after the mess that's gonna happen, lucky country, for a reason
edit on 24-6-2012 by easybreezy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by easybreezy

don't worry America, well put up with ya...for now

Exactly.

Thats what they do not seem to understand.......they will.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
OMG! The American people annoy me! Not the ones activly seeking change, but the 90% that sit on their obese bone idol asses all day!

Inot American, but I watch the Aloyona Show everyday, 7pm (England) RT news.

And everyday there at least 20 stories of the American government being caught out doing some or another.
When they've been caught, why aren't they brought to justice?!?!

I'm in England, and I know we're far from perfect also, but at least they half heartedly punish our wrong doers!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

It's interesting how many of the things that are said in this vid about the way the American people think about their country and leaders are blatantly obvious to people from other countries.

Infact, the holier then thou attitude that comes across in virtually all media from America has long been an arguing point in most of the households that i have been in.

Other countries may do bad things, but at least they are usually honest about it: "yes we blew up that building" and so on.....

The American government has been caught out in so many lies now that it's amazing the American people have not noticed yet, especially considering the American "Don't tread on me" social concept.

It's sad really.

Guys: Your government is NOT your friend. it's your boss. It cares little for the individual as this would contradict it's actual job which is to maintain control and power over the sprawling masses and in turn to maintain it's own existence.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

Honestly I don't think any government is anyone's friend now days if they ever were. if you honestly think yours is upfront and honest about all their nasty doings you are also living in delusion land with us.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Char-Lee because: sp

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Wow an American bashing thread, how unique. So many planks in so many eyes out there...at least the splinter lets one still have some vision.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Wow an American bashing thread, how unique. So many planks in so many eyes out there...at least the splinter lets one still have some vision.

This thread is not an American-bashing thread. The video posted is simply a video of psychologists giving their professional opinion as to why some people continue to deny the growing mountain of contradictory evidence to the official story. That is not American-bashing.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan-D
Newly-uploaded and eye-opening video by A&E 9/11-Truth where psychologists look into the reasons why people still deny the overwhleming emprical evidence contradicting the official story, 'exceptionalism' and 'cognitive dissonance' are a few reasons they cite.

You know what's ironic is that this pitiful excuse is itself cognitive dissonance. The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the feeling of discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs. When there is a discrepancy between beliefs and behaviors, something must change in order to eliminate or reduce the dissonance. The conspiracy theorists want to believe some sinister force over and above what we've been told is reponsible for the 9/11 attack. Yet, the people giving us this alternative ideology- Alex Jones, Dylan Avery, Judy Wood, David Ray Griffin, Richard Gage, and others, have been caught putting out false information time and time again to the point where it's beyond question there is a lot fo false conspiracy information floating around. Truthers want to believe in conspiracies, but their sources of information have been shown to be incorrect- there's a contradiction in beliefs and only one can be right, so they fall back on their 9/11 conspiracies and declare the accusations of lasers from outer space, hologram planes, and missile pods are all true, and everyone providing information to the contrary are all really sinister secret agents.

It really doesn't matter who it is- even when it's revealed William Rodriguez said flames from impacting planes came down the elevator shaft, pushed the elevator down into the basement, and severely burned the occupants, he spontaneously becomes a sinister secret agents as well. So, of course, people who don't believe in these conspiracy claims simply can't be people who don't take liars, con artists, and college kids making internet videos in their dorm rooms seriously. We need to be suffering cognitive dissonance and are too dull witted and frightened and inbred to accept the fact the world is really being controlled by secret cults of Satan worshipping numerologists and shape shifting alien lizards.

This "we're suffering cognitive dissonace by not believing internet videos created by a bunch of college kids in a dorm room" excuse is pitiful. Just plain pitiful. This isn't a psychological analysis, this is a sophomoric name calling stunt meant to sooth their bruised egos from not getting anywhere with their conspiracy preaching, and is a mark of extreme desperation more than it is anything else.

BUT...if you really want to go this route, there's already an excellent thread that discusses the conspiratorial dissonance of the truther crowd-

ATS discussion thread on the psychological reasons for conspiracy beliefs

edit on 24-6-2012 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

What a load of dishonest old rhubarb!

Do you have to soil this Comments-page with scurrilous smear-pieces like this that you have dredged from the bottom of the gutter-press barrel? Can’t you use any discrimination in selecting the offensive material that you want to throw at readers who come here? Any at all? I mean, this isn’t the least bit informative and it mis-states the facts in just about every sentence. You seem to me to want to prove that you are just another mindless zombie who has lost the power of conscious thought by posting such tendentious twaddle here. Well, mission accomplished.

so they fall back on their 9/11 conspiracies and declare the accusations of lasers from outer space, hologram planes, and missile pods are all true, and everyone providing information to the contrary are all really sinister secret agents

No. Rather it seems to me that you are sticking us with your massive conspiracy theory that you cannot possibly demonstrate because it is not true. Who in this thread ever brought up lasers from outer-space and lizard-people? That’s the thing about the truth, you see. It has the stubborn characteristic of remaining what it is regardless of everything throughout all time and refusing to bend itself to our wishes when we want it to. And the truth in this case is that the conspiracy theory which you are aggressively trying to impose on us and make it stick is a figment of your undisciplined imagination. Truthers in general do not claim these things are real and you make yourself a liar in pretending that they have done. Go and troll someone else’s thread.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

You may want to watch the video.
It is specifically about YOU!
edit on 24-6-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan-D
reply to post by GoodOlDave

What a load of dishonest old rhubarb!

Do you have to soil this Comments-page with scurrilous smear-pieces like this that you have dredged from the bottom of the gutter-press barrel? Can’t you use any discrimination in selecting the offensive material that you want to throw at readers who come here? Any at all? I mean, this isn’t the least bit informative and it mis-states the facts in just about every sentence. You seem to me to want to prove that you are just another mindless zombie who has lost the power of conscious thought by posting such tendentious twaddle here. Well, mission accomplished.

...and yet despite all this flowery prose you apparently cannot refute a word of it or esle you would have done it. Cognitive Dissonance is in fact the state of having to rationalize the contradiction between alternative conflicting positions, and this pitiful excuse making is just your way of explaining to yourselves why you want to continue believing your conspiracies despite the fact it's been shown to you time and time again the "evidence" you're preaching is baloney. How many times does it need to be pointed out that "does the order still stand" doesn't even remotely mean "stand down order" and yet the truthers still religiously cling to the claim like it was a religious mantra. You truthers certainly aren't stupid. You believe it because not believing it throws all your other beliefs into question.

Hey, I can disbelieve the "official story" as you refer to it AND disbelieve these conspiracy stories. What's your excuse? While you're at it, explain to me why I can put my own thoughts into my own words while you need to post a video from a conspiracy site to do it.

No. Rather it seems to me that you are sticking us with your massive conspiracy theory that you cannot possibly demonstrate because it is not true. Who in this thread ever brought up lasers from outer-space and lizard-people?

I notice you were conspicuously careful to say "this thread". You have to know than in OTHER threads people are pushing every goofball conspiracy theoriy from lasers from otuer space, fake crash sites in Shanksville, and there's one guy who even insists the towers were fake buildings and they were really empty. Despite all the different and contradicting theories (they can't be staged by the gov't AND the Jews AND the Illuminati, after all) thay all insist on one thing- they're in the right and all of you are in the wrong. Alex Jones is eiher a "American hero" or he's a "disinformation agent", depending on who you ask.

How do you explain this phenomina, if not by cognitive dissonance?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Sorry, but the mafia mentality has corrupt every avenue around, no one knows who to trust anymore except those really close. That along with the murder suicides of certain key informative figures doesn't help. It's an intricate war that apparently your whiny Brit ass can't conceive. Unless your here to help, then save your mongering for someone the # else!

new topics

top topics

join