It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Armed With Assault Rifles And Sub-machine Gun Evict DC Resident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
wjla.com (local abc)

Protesters, all part of the "Occupy" movement, came here to make it as difficult as they could for authorities to execute the eviction. They say they came to defend Dawn Butler’s home.

They locked arms, tied the front gates shut, grabbed on to iron railings, used plumbers' pipe - anything they could to keep the marshals out of what was dawn butler's home.

Butler claims she and her mother are being evicted illegally. She says she has paid her rent on time and in full since they moved in in 2006 and has even placed a bid to buy the home from her landlord.

But that the bank, Chase, that holds the mortgage foreclosed on him and she says is now putting her out on the street. And the marshals would not be denied.

What the story fails to mention is that in DC tenants have the right of first refusal, meaning that should a home come under foreclosure any tenants are supposed to have the first option to buy the mortgage. This is what Dawn Butler tried to do and was refused by JP Morgan. I also find it disturbing that the reporter in the video never even mentions how well armed those Marshals are.

Photo Essay
Slideshow

Why?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

The Washington Post is saying she hasn't paid any rent since 2006, that she had some sort of arrangement with the landlord...

The circumstances of Butler’s case are less clear-cut. She said she had an arrangement with the home’s original owner to live there without paying rent as she renovated the property, and had tried several times to purchase it. But a judge in the District’s landlord-tenant court rejected this unusual arrangement and ruled that Butler’s lease was invalid, prompting Tuesday’s eviction.

www.washingtonpost.com...

I wonder how long this has been going on, using armed marshals is usually a last resort measure...

Also sounds like the landlord has some 'splaining to do!
edit on 5/6/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Ah, thanks for adding that. It's generally acceptable to do repairs in lieu of rent, I wonder why the judge rejected that. Also the landlord fell into foreclosure while he was in the hospital with cancer.

ETA The use of Marshals does seem odd, I'm not sure if it's because it's DC...maybe they don't have a Sheriff's Dept? Either way, assault rifles and sub machine guns...really??
edit on 5-6-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

The judge deemed it illegal, which tells me they didn't fill a form out properly or something like that...

Certainly not grounds for this type of eviction.

Which is why I wonder if this has been going on for a while now and she has been ignoring earlier eviction notices...

Wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened.

Really need more information before we judge either way.

edit on 5/6/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
We, as a people should demand all companies the produce products that come in direct contact with us, be it the plastic cover on a DVD case to the french fries from your local fast food joint to pay a certain base percentage of their profits in place of taxes. We need to demand that the company pay its own sales tax instead of passing it on to the buyer. It is not a buyers tax but a sellers tax. We need to demand that prices can not rise due to this percentage and assumption of paying their own tax. We need to demand that this percentage be used to fund research and medical fields into the immune system and the diseases it fights against, be it Cancer, Diabetes, or the common cold. Lets make the ones putting out dangerous products pay to make the human race healthier.

The problems I can see with this are a few. Like the people will not stand together in the mass it will need, We already fear and do not want immunizations to a mass that it would slow it down, and other reasons I wont get into here, but hey maybe its a start.

Edit to say: I realize this is slightly off topic but it is the occupy movement I am talking about in that they seem to have lost direction. The issue is the money and its lack of trickle down, the fact that the companies are robbing us blind while we gladly without question hand out that .07 cents on the Dollar(or what ever sales tax is in your area). They get rich while we make their payments and there is no compensation to the people for what we do. We have had major issues with Obamas health care bill so lets up the anti
edit on 5-6-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join