It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no acts of violence from occupy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by XPLodER
so keep telling yourselves that they are not achieving anything

No argument here. For some reason I'm just not following the occupy movement. Can you list some of the things it has accomplished?

i will give you one and you can look for the rest
occupy homes

Occupy Wins Home For Vet, Fights for Home in North Minneapolis

saving vets from foreclosure is one of the more visable ones
but there are many if you look

xploder
edit on 1-5-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

again im not seeing how me not wanting to support in this specific case the people who vandalized those building some how make me an uncaring person? i have housed multiple homeless vagrants in my comunity(even helped a few get jobs,got robbed by a few too) and offer rent to my current roommates of 150 dollars a month in my home (which i have not been payed rent in two months and still dont evict them because i was not payed due to a family tradegy on their part) i fail to see how this is me not doing anything i just dont have to brag about it and ask for the world to pat me on the frigging back to do these things i do them becuase i choose to not cuz i feel obilgated but because its my choice to help my fellow wo/mankind just because we are not doing what YOU think we need to be doing dosent make us part of the problem just our own part of the solution in our own way (i know were bolth behind keyboards and mostlikely my actions will be questioned"pics or it didnt happen group") but i know i have done good with my life ive stopped 7 rapes dug wells in africa for the poor at no cost to the locals and used to volunteer at food banks i judge my life by my own moral code and in my world im doing just fine and dont need your blessings or condemnations as either way i will keep doing what i can and want in my own way regardless of societys opinion on weather or not i am correct in these views(this is not ment to antagonize you or demonize you in any way shape or form or toot my own horn so to speak just try to change the view that if we arent doing what aany one person deems the right thing does infact not make me or any one else wrong) (sorry for the spelling and punctuation never really was my strong point)
edit on 1-5-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

thank you for posting real accomplishments of some of those in the movement as helping any one get back into their home vetran or not is something to be proud of Star for you good sir/madam
edit on 1-5-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Congratulations to occupy Seattle
You have not accomplished anything except damaging person property and costing the taxpayer several million dollars; this must be a wonderful cause if anyone can tell you what it is supposed to do exsactly
Nothing more than anarchist
www.bendbulletin.com...

Text
Violence mars protests in downtown Seattle
By The Seattle Times
Wind and rain began driving a few May Day protesters away Tuesday evening, hours after a cluster of about 75 demonstrators dressed in black and carrying poles interrupted peaceful marches to smash windows and clash with police in Seattle’s downtown retail core.

Swarms of police on bikes and in riot gear had attempted to corral the early afternoon demonstrators with batons and chemical spray, but the protesters quickly dispersed. Some reintegrated into the crowd, shedding their black clothes, Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference, and by early evening there had been only eight arrests.

But by evening, the protests had swelled to thousands of people; the vast majority remained peaceful.

After the early afternoon violence, McGinn issued an emergency order banning items that could be used as weapons, and authorized police to pre-emptively seize the five-foot poles demonstrators used.

“My direction to the police is that I expect them to respond to lawbreaking swiftly and aggressively,” McGinn said.

Afternoon violence

The spasm of violence began at 12:35 p.m. and initially lasted less than 30 minutes, with vandals, some associated with Black Bloc, marched from Westlake Park, smashing windows and setting off sound bombs and fireworks. The demonstrators also shot paintballs and set a small fire at the U.S. Court of Appeals at Fifth Avenue and Seneca Street.

The group moved up Sixth Avenue, breaking windows at three banks — Wells Fargo, HSBC and Home Street Bank — and vandalizing retail stores, including NikeTown and American Apparel next door. Fidelity Investments at Sixth Avenue and Pike Street was tagged with graffiti. Car windows were also smashed, and a Porsche Cayenne was tagged in spray paint with a green anarchist’s symbol.

When the vandals dispersed, some of them changed into street clothes and blending into a rally at Westlake Park.

The protests remained mostly peaceful until a brief late afternoon flareup, when at least one protester threw a bottle at police and a few others were arrested. By the time the evening commute began to taper off, the largely peaceful crowds had begun to taper off, too.

Fast-moving crowd

McGinn said police used crowd-control tactics learned after the 1999 WTO riots, including embedding undercover surveillance officers in the crowd. Officers confronted the vandals and used chemical spray, but McGinn said the crowd moved fast.

“When they move quickly and disperse rapidly and hit multiple points, it’s hard for the police to respond,” McGinn said.

Eight people have been arrested, according to Seattle police.

Among the arrests, according the Seattle police Twitter feed, was a 19-year-old was arrested for carrying a knife in the 400 block of Pike Street, and a 23-year-old was arrested for vandalism in the 1300 block of Sixth Avenue.

McGinn said most protesters have been peaceful.

McGinn, defending his emergency order, said public safety concerns outweighed demonstrators’ First Amendment rights to carry items that could be used as weapons. He said City Council President Sally Clark and public safety chair Bruce Harrell approved of the emergency order.

McGinn said the order was necessary to ensure safety at the 5 p.m. march that started at Judkins Park in support of immigrant rights.

And, he said, “The group currently gathered at Westlake may choose to march again.”

Kathleen Taylor, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, said the mayor’s executive order appeared to be drawn narrowly enough that it “seems reasonable.” But, she said, application of the order by police will be the real test.

Why crowd marched

The “anti-capitalist” march earlier Tuesday was intended to coincide with a citywide general strike. Most of the march, which ended with speeches and a hip-hop performance at Westlake Park, was peaceful.

Liam Wright said the march was an anti-capitalist protest. He led the crowd in a chant: “When the people of the world are under attack, what do we do? Stand up, fight back!”

The May Day protests coincided with marches and called general strikes in other cities, including New York and Detroit. In Portland, police also clashed with black-clad demonstrators.

Lisa Marcus, carrying a bucket of tulips and lilacs on her bicycle, handed out leaflets opposing oil extraction from the Alberta tar sands.

At Seattle Central Community College, where the march to Westlake started after 11 a.m., Michael Pham, vice president for administrative services, said the rally there didn’t

Liam Wright said the march was an anti-capitalist protest. He led the crowd in a chant: “When the people of the world are under attack, what do we do? Stand up, fight back!”

The May Day protests coincided with marches and called general strikes in other cities, including New York and Detroit. In Portland, police also clashed with black-clad demonstrators.

Lisa Marcus, carrying a bucket of tulips and lilacs on her bicycle, handed out leaflets opposing oil extraction from the Alberta tar sands.

At Seattle Central Community College, where the march to Westlake started after 11 a.m., Michael Pham, vice president for administrative services, said the rally there didn’t disrupt classes. The marchers were a mix of students and others.

Seattle police had been on alert for violence, and McGinn’s office issued a news release Friday warning that protesters may have been training to learn how to hide weapons and target police officers on horseback.

At a meeting last Thursday, Seattle police also told a group that included Occupy Seattle organizers that a police “intelligence report” suggested anarchists may use gasoline-filled light bulbs and try to interfere with officers’ attempt to arrest demonstrators.

edit on 2-5-2012 by redneck13 because: tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrchusGhule
reply to post by XPLodER

So tell us please...what have you achieved, exactly? What have you gained through OWS? Can you tell me or are you just going to harp on non-violence endlessly? What has changed because of your protests? I am very curious to know what you think is being done differently on Wall Street and in Washington that is a direct result of your (non) actions?

They pooped on a cop car. What more do you want? The Occucriers are back and more cop cars shall be pooped on!
edit on 2-5-2012 by luccadeo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
www.nypost.com... /p/news/opinion/editorials/goodbye_

Text
Goodbye, Occupy

Last Updated: 1:04 AM, May 2, 2012

Posted: May 02, 2012

They’re back — sort of.

After hours in which the dregs of Occupy Wall Street largely failed in their vow to cause a day of “no work, no school” in New York, thousands of protesters made a mess of the evening commute for many folks by mobbing lower Manhattan. Terrific.

Their ranks, as usual, were largely made up of union members, dispatched by their leaders after their workday ended.

So, until late afternoon, there were only scattered demonstrations, plus brief confrontations with police, who were well prepared and had made some 30 arrests.

That’s not surprising: In a city of 8 million, it’s not that hard to find some people with nothing better to do.
For most of the day, again, the tens of thousands that OWS swore would fill the streets never showed.

Maybe they were allergic to rain?

And “the first nationwide General Strike in US history” — which Occupy confidently predicted on its Web site — was nowhere to be seen, either.

(One group in Midtown suddenly found itself face-to-face with a bunch of hardhats, who chanted, “Get a job! Get a job!”)

Last night’s traffic tie-up notwithstanding, yesterday’s events suggest that the whole Occupy movement is now in the 16th minute of its 15 minutes of fame.

Which is to say, no one cares anymore — assuming anyone ever did.

OK, some did: Besides the usual suspects — anarchists, anti-capitalists and misfits — the “movement” had lots of support in the mainstream media.

Attempts to picket and disrupt local corporate headquarters essentially
fizzled.
The closest thing to an actual disruption that was evident was a few bags of initially suspicious white powder — corn starch, it turned out — mailed to several banks. It all made for good video, but little else.

Fact is, the vast majority of New Yorkers — the real 99 percent, in other words — spent their day doing precisely what OWS had promised, and failed, to stop them from doing: They went to work and school.

Which is as good a response to May Day as we can think of.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by redneck13

you do realse that may day started in the US?
and it is a sad inditment on the people that other conutries celerbrate it in your honour.

you must realise that people are suffering?

i find your glee at the loss of meaning to this day disurbing

occupy is quitly peacefully working behind the scenes, using non violent methods to educate people,
to prevent illegal foreclosure on vets and citzens alike,

to point out the 5 year period where wages stay flat while fat cats make massive gains, at the expense of the people.

while the food and gas prices rise from inflationary money printing, that only serves the large banks.

whoes CEOs get record bonuses.

while record numbes of people are foreclosed on for the mistakes of the banks

protest is protected if the founding documents are followed,

it is the measure of a totalitarian state how free the people are to peacefully self assemble for redress (protest)

dont celebrate the loss of freedoms,
dont celerbrate appathy,

celebrate the gains achived years ago that lead to the 40 hour work week,
and remember why they were needed.

family, comunity, country

xploder

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by redneck13

for every bad individual, who you show i can show a group,
who stands out in the cold in front of houses in an effort to force morgage companies to moify loans so people can continue to work for a future

every person WEARING BLACK AND BREAKING THINGS that you show i can show a group working together to feed people

for every NON PEACEFUL or VIOLENT person wearing black at the front of a camera that you post here as representive of the group,

i can show you crowds of people in their thousands breaking nothing,
you feed into the MSM narritve that the few who break stuff are the whole or somehow representitive of the groups actions,

but if you really looked you would see people supporting people, you would see the numbers of peaceful people with the MSM "poster child" used in the media to deflect from what we have achived.

there are many people still in their houses this winter thanks to hard working peaceful people,
you selective view on the trouble makers makes me think you DONT want to look at the real movement,

you want to paint it as you wish for your ajenda.

we gain even more support because we are out there helping people,
but you wnt see that on the MSM
and you wont see it if you dont want to look either

xploder

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

We are waiting for all the links and articles of all the wonderful things the occupy movement has accomplished. Perhaps some statements from the homeowners that you saved from the cold winter nights.
One troop of boy scouts is more deserving of admiration of accomplishments than the entire occupy movement

edit on 2-5-2012 by redneck13 because: rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by luccadeo

Originally posted by OrchusGhule
reply to post by XPLodER

So tell us please...what have you achieved, exactly? What have you gained through OWS? Can you tell me or are you just going to harp on non-violence endlessly? What has changed because of your protests? I am very curious to know what you think is being done differently on Wall Street and in Washington that is a direct result of your (non) actions?

They pooped on a cop car. What more do you want? The Occucriers are back and more cop cars shall be pooped on!
edit on 2-5-2012 by luccadeo because: (no reason given)

By pooping on a cop car, they saved 1.6 gallons of water but the chemicals to clean up the biohazard are more toxic to the environment as well as being a less efficient way of disposing of poop. These guys just don’t think these things out very well.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
wizbangblog.com... /2012/05/06/bridge-bombers-name-appears-on-occupy-cleveland-bldg-lease-occupiers-mad-at-fbi-instead/

Text
Bridge Bomber’s Name Appears on Occupy Cleveland Bldg. Lease, Occupiers Mad at FBI Instead

May 6, 2012 | Filed under #Occupy,Barack Obama,corruption,Culture Of Corruption,Democrats,Douchebag Of The Day,Economics,Justice,Liberals,Media,Occupy Protest,Society | Posted by Warner Todd Huston

In another story that should surprise no one, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reveals that the name of one of the Ohio bridge bombers nabbed by the FBI is so closely involved with Occupy Cleveland that his name appears on the lease of the rented warehouse they use for a headquarters. Instead of being ashamed, though, the Occupiers are mad at the FBI, apparently.

When stories about the late April arrest of five Ohio men who had formed a plot to bomb some key bridges in Ohio first surfaced, the Old Media called them merely “anarchists.”

It wasn’t long, though, before the New Media began to find out that they weren’t just any amorphous “anarchists,” but members of the Occupy Wall Street movement in Cleveland (Occupy Cleveland). No Old Media outlets reported this in the beginning despite how easy it was to find the facts.

OWSers initially denied this claim saying it was just a smear job on them but now the newspaper in Cleveland finds that one of the accused, Anthony Hayne, 35, signed the lease of the building the Occupiers use for an HQ.

No denying it now, eh OWSers?

The reaction of the OWSers, though, needs to be examined. The CPD notes that instead of being furious at their own member for his desire to kill people and indulge wanton destruction they were mad at the FBI and more worried about bad publicity.

Apparently having murderous bomber wannabes in their midst wasn’t that big a deal.

The paper notes that in a video of an OWS meeting one OWSer says, “We have a person facing terrorism charges on the lease of our warehouse. If this gets into the media, it would be a disaster.”

I guess having the terrorist among you isn’t as bad as the bad publicity when people find out? Notice no condemnation of the terrorist, there.

Another OWSer notes that they are trying send it all down the memory hole and have the landlord erase the accused’s name from the lease.

Another seems to think it is important that even though Hayne’s name is on the lease he never had the rent money in his possession. Why this makes any difference or absolves them from his membership is beyond me.

But the most telling part of the video was this…

During the general assembly meeting, one leader asked the group, “Is it just me? Aren’t you uncomfortable living in a warehouse where a guy has been arrested for terrorism? I don’t want to live in a place and have the FBI show up.”

If this isn’t hilarious! Instead of being ashamed that a would-be killer was one of their central members, they are disgusted that the FBI had once come to their warehouse HQ! They are more comfortable with a domestic terrorist being among them than they are with having the FBI around!

That’s pretty telling about what sort of people make up the Occupy movement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join