It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBS: More & More People Quitting their Jobs vs CBS: 84% Leaving their Jobs for a New One in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
PBS:

Even with the economy in a rut, more and more people are quitting their jobs because of unhealthy work environments and unhealthy work relationships.

CBS:
www.cbsnews.com...

Dec 2011 article reports:

Is it really that bad? A new survey by Right Management, the consulting arm of staffing group Manpower, finds that a whopping 84% of employees are planning on searching for a new job in 2012.

sounds like a very high rate of planned turnover for this current year, 2012. i wonder how they are faring? maybe CBS will do a followup sometimes later this year. understandably its alittle too early we are just now in the 1st new quarter since the report.

That compares to 60% of the respondents in a similar survey by Right Management conducted two years ago. The company surveyed more than 1,000 people in the U.S. and Canada.

so that's a 33% increase in plans to change jobs, since two years ago's survey.

Only five percent of survey respondents said they were planning to stay in their current job.

hmm only 5% plan to stay on their current job through out 2012?

well, this looks promising as far as 2012 year of "change"

edit on 9-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
From personal experience I suspect this may be true.

Right now companies think they have you by the balls.

There are some mean companies out there.
'
If people can leave they will leave.

Hopefully not from the pan into the fire. That is the thing keeping me where I am...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Interesting topic OP.

Certainly employers know that they have what you need - A JOB!

So many people go to work "job scared" day in and day out. Most people know that they are employed based on the whim of their bosses. One mistake or sick day and you may be one of the many who spend the next 2 years looking for another job where the boss could be worse.

I think the duration of this deep recession is really becoming hard on tons of employees. Everyone is being asked to do more and more with less and less.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I can tell in my area the economy is back,
I've been in 5 major cities in the last two weeks, the lines
are very long in the airports (at food venues) and I have seem
many bare shelves due to high customer turn over in the
cities themselves.

I think once the psychology of recovery kicks in we will see commerce
picking up and employers will have to start competing for talent again.

edit on 9-4-2012 by braindeadconservatives because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I always thought that at this time in history, as the boomers started to retire, that there would be a labor SHORTAGE.

Did not count on the way automation and outsourcing has effected the job market.

It is still pretty tough out there right now. Am seeing more emails from head hunters back home in Michigan so things must be picking up. Don't want to go back though.

Always hanging by a thread there, no matter where I worked in the auto industry. Any day may be your last.

Out here I have more stability. And I like my job.

Don't tell my Boss.
edit on 9-4-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

yea keep ya head up workin or not..

where there's a will,

there's a way!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

Psychology of recovery... you must be joking?

Let me tell you about MY area.

The economic blast of 2008 resulted in nearly EVERY (no not an exaggeration) mom and pop business to be closed down, most of which accounted for employment in the area. Every corporation in the every conducted mass layoffs and firings, mostly of long term and high ranking employees since they were making the most money.

In 2011, the corporations started hiring again. These same corporations that started at 11.00 - 12.00 dollars and hour back in 2008, are not hiring for 8.00 - 9.00 an hour with no benefits. The mom and pop business are no longer there. The malls are still without vendors to fill the stalls. Every company that was hit hard and had to lay off workers is heading back to work, but the work is incremental and there are pay cuts. Every company that has to hire new employees is paying 8.00 - 9.00 and hour. There is not a job opening around paying more.

So with that 18,750 a year that people are making around here, subtract about 3750 of that for taxes, so 15k a year. Rent here is $400 a month without utilities, 4800, so 10.8k leftover so far. Average electricity and water is about 150-200 in these parts, we will consider the low range so 1800, so $9000 left over. In Pennsylvania you need to have at least minimum state car insurance which I have in order to drive - no there are no public transportation alternatives here. That is $60 a month for minimum coverage so - $720 a year bringing our total down to $8,280. Gas has now reached 4.00 a gallon here, so considering you only use your car for work and essentials, and you get 20 per gallon which is about average, 20 miles a day, not including weekends, that is $1040 per year on gas. Figure $100 a month for food, $1200, and now we are down to $6,040 left over.

So in my area, once the basic, necessary living accommodations are taken care of in our "economically recovered" world, we are left with $6,040 left for the year to deal with what we need to deal with. This is assuming you already have a vehicle, this is assuming you are not required to pay renters or homeowners insurance (which most people are), this is assuming you have no repair bills to pay for your home, apartment, or vehicle, this is assuming you have no medical bills, and last but not least, this is assuming you have no outrageous debts to pay into that you got into when the economy actually was in good shape, which, by the way, I believe 80% of American's do.

So to summarize my post - there is no economic recovery and there never was. There is the need for workers. Either companies hire workers to do the work or they go under - that is just the way it is. They cut from the top so they can hire new people at the bottom, at minimum wages, wages that can't even afford to sustain one person living by themselves let alone a family. Imagine if you had a child and only made $9.00 an hour? Oh I'm sure you could suckle of the government teat for sustenance, but some of us have more pride than that.

People are quitting their jobs because what is the point? They are either going to be released in the future if they are of high standing, or they are probably already making dirt wages to begin with and they know that every other company can offer them the same if not 25 cents better. Either that or *gasp* some people are finally realizing that happiness and the home life is far more important that the capitalist work life that we have allowed to define and enslave us.

Don't get me wrong, I am a capitalist fan, but it is an economic system and nothing more. It should not be how we base our living structure, morals, and schedules around.

edit on 10-4-2012 by gwydionblack because: spelling

new topics

top topics

join