It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School shooting in Oakland CA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
According to reports the police have a suspect in custody. The shooting took place at Oikos University, a private Christian University in Oakland, CA. Police said 7 people are dead and 3 are wounded and the shooter was a heavy set Korean man in his 40s.

bostonglobe.com...

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — A gunman opened fire at a Christian university in California Monday, killing at least seven people and wounding three more, authorities said. Police say they have a suspect in custody.

The shooting erupted around midmorning at Oikos University in Oakland and left seven dead, said police spokeswoman Cynthia Perkins.

Authorities earlier described the gunman as a heavyset Korean man in his 40s wearing khaki clothing. ‘‘I can confirm that we do have one person who has been detained that we believe is possibly responsible for this shooting,’’ said police officer Johanna Watson.

KTVU-TV reported that the shooter was a student and opened fire in a classroom.

Earlier, television news footage showed a chaotic scene as heavily armed officers swarmed into the building in search of the shooter. The footage also showed bloodied victims on stretchers being loaded into ambulances.

Pastor Jong Kim, who founded the school about 10 years ago, told the Oakland Tribune that he heard about 30 gunshots in the building. ‘‘I stayed in my office,’’ he said.

Angie Johnson told the San Francisco Chronicle that she saw a young woman leave the building with blood coming from her arm and crying: ‘‘I've been shot. I've been shot.’’

The injured woman said the shooter was a man in her nursing class who got up and shot one person at point-blank range in the chest before spraying the room with bullets, Johnson said.

‘‘She said he looked crazy all the time,’’ Johnson said the victim told her, ‘‘but they never knew how far he would go.’’

Four victims arrived at Highland Hospital for treatment, said spokeswoman Jerri Randrup.

According of its website, Oikos University offers studies in theology, music, nursing and Asian medicine. Phone calls to Oikos were met with busy signals Monday and its website was slow.

www.ktvu.com...

Police confirmed that a suspect was taken in custody in the parking lot of a shopping mall in nearby Alameda. Sources have told KTVU that the gunman walked into a Safeway store and told someone he had just shot several people.

Alameda police then arrived and took him in without further incident.

"We do believe we have detained an individual responsible for the shooting at the college," Oakland police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said.

I just don't understand school shootings, and they got more diverse as they go on. A 40 year old man did this? Why? Also, today in Oakland, the federal gov't, including DEA, IRS, and US Marshalls shut down Oaksterdam University, blog.norml.org...

edit on 2-4-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
the next step in the road to push gun control. expect this to be added along with the trayvon martin shooting in the coming days.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In the country where I live we have not had a school shooting ever.
Thats probably because crackpots tend not to be allowed to have weapons.

Thats where the problem lies in the US - unbalanced people who should not be allowed to use weapons and weapons should be properly locked away from these people. Its that simple.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

Yeah, I was just thinking about that, school shootings in other countries. Do they happen or is this only experienced in the USA? Time to get the googling

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
another shooting!!!

just this weekend in wichita ks we had 2 drive buy shootings and one other person was stabbed to death. i know we are no where as big as oakland ca but wow.

now i wounder why the climb in violent crime's in the last few months? or at least seaming to go up

crime in the USA

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Local media outlets been all over this, all day, my neighbors tell me. Links for those interested:

www.ksbw.com...

www.kionrightnow.com...

www.santacruzsentinel.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Korean man killed 7 or more?

motive?

madness this happens everyday now in AMERICA

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Korean man killed 7 or more?

motive?

madness this happens everyday now in AMERICA

already a thread on this
but im thinking it was bad chinese food
or excam grade

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Please join the discussion in the existing thread on this topic by clicking on the link below...

Thank you,

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join