It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk of Culling the Great White Shark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
On the 31 March 2012 Peter Kurmann was diving about 1600m off Stratham Beach, within Geographe Bay south of Bunbury, Western Australia. He was attacked and killed by a shark, later found to be a great white. This is south-west W.A.'s forth death in 6 months. Many believe the apparent increase in attacks is due to depleted fish stocks, others think the increasing population and the increased ability to detect sharks is resulting in more attacks and sightings.

Personaly I find it disgusting we could consider killing an endangered species, because they are getting in the way of our recreational activities.
here is some of the disinfomation being spread by perth now.... DOZENS of WA surfers are lobbying government ministers for shark culling in the wake of a spate of sightings and two fatal attacks in WA. ...this isn't to do with shark attacks but shows how most surfers really feel about marine life... Surfing World Champions say no to oil, yes to sanctuaries. I know every person i have gone surfing with is more worried about spinal injury or face planting the reef than shark attack. In fact some people are willing to stay in the surf even after a shark sighting.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by seudonymous

I dive for abalone. Every time you go out you run the risk of sharks. They need to get over themselves, or surf elsewhere

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
In response to the OP
This can only be described as insane.
Sharks are already being culled in huge numbers by the fishing industry worldwide.

reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Do you use the electronic shark guard thing?

edit on 1-4-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
It's their territory, not ours. We 'tresspass' we pay the consequences if caught.

link   
I hate being bumped by them too while deep swimmin from the surf to nylon pools and the risk of punchin back,

but it doesnt mean they should all be driven to extinction to qualm the occasional loss of human lives,

if thats the case then we need to ;cull' AUTOMOBILES first

link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

No. Sharks are not so good at maneuvering in the kelp bed that we dive. I've never seen one while diving. My Dad has once in about 40 years of diving.
A fisherman did catch a 4 ft tiger shark close to where I was diving last year.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

No. Sharks are not so good at maneuvering in the kelp bed that we dive. I've never seen one while diving. My Dad has once in about 40 years of diving.
A fisherman did catch a 4 ft tiger shark close to where I was diving last year.
Ok that's good, I have seen pictures of the kelp beds near Cali.. They look amazing.

Apparently the electronic shark guards actually attract sharks to a certain distance (like 10m) but they cant get any closer.
So it keeps you safe but will scare you half to death if there are any sharks in the area.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I'll chance it without

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
just think of all the shark fin soup we could make! or all the cartilage we could harvest!

sorry,couldnt resist!

but seriously,humans are a daft lot,no?!!!!
after were done with those sharks,we'll work on those pesky dolphins next!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
I dive for abalone. Every time you go out you run the risk of sharks. They need to get over themselves, or surf elsewhere

That's exactly right.

Or they can invest in a sharkshield if they feel the need. I did and came across a white once, and it just swam by and kept going.

Apparently, only one person has ever been attacked by one while using a sharkshield, but by using it incorrectly, one of the electrodes was out of the water as he was yelling for his mate in the boat to come and get him, giving the shark an opportunity to attack.

www.courts.sa.gov.au...

Bottom line is if you don't want the risk of being attacked, stay out of the water. Leave them alone.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
Apparently the electronic shark guards actually attract sharks to a certain distance (like 10m) but they cant get any closer.
So it keeps you safe but will scare you half to death if there are any sharks in the area.

I believe they attract them first too. I can't see how their website can claim that they don't.

Our shark repellent products repel the sharks via an electric field that induces spasms in the sharks’ snouts. It does not attract sharks to the area or leave permanent damage to the animals, or harm the environment.

sharkshield.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The search for the offending shark was called of due to bad weather, It wasn't clear what would have been done if they had found it. "the appropriate authorities would make that call at the time".
Busselton Mayor Ian Stubbs says it is time for the state to consider culling sharks. Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett has ruled out a shark cull, but says the shark responsible should probably be destroyed.
I guess so long as sharks have morals that prevent them from attacking humans they'll be right?!...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

I believe they attract them first too. I can't see how their website can claim that they don't.

Our shark repellent products repel the sharks via an electric field that induces spasms in the sharks’ snouts. It does not attract sharks to the area or leave permanent damage to the animals, or harm the environment.

sharkshield.com...
They fact they are stating specifically that it does not attract sharks proves that it is an issue or else they wouldn't even mention the idea.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Apparently they aren't as effective, (maybe even worse), for surfers because it's not always in the water, otherwise I have heard they work.
Don't look so dangerous to me...

Man Swiming with Great White!
edit on 1/4/2012 by seudonymous because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join