It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parenting 101: how to instill respect for others.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

school is hard for kids, and then they send her home with 5 hours of homework.

Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.

You know, I went to school once too. As a matter of fact, when I went, there was more homework than I ever see my kids with today. Boring homework, pages and pages of questions and problems and essays. Kids had to actually make a grade to pass back then, unlike today where you do "your time" in one grade and then get swept on to the next ready or not. My parents made me do it, and made me do my chores as well.

I hated it.

But then when I went to work, it was easy. While everyone else was jumping from job to job because they weren't used to working hard, I was building a career. While they were digging abysses of debt buying new things, I was fixing what I had and saving money.

Not a day goes by that I don't thank my Dad for everything he did for me. And with a little luck, this girl will look back on this and do the same for her father.

There is a good reason nature has adults raising children and not the other way around: the adults know how life really works, and have the patience and self-discipline to do what must be done to raise their kids... even if it means dragging them kicking and screaming in the way they need to go.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by Destinyone

i wouldn't have kids in this messed up world.

my greatest gift to them is not letting them be born in the first place, the amount of suffering on this planet is unfair.

if i ever DID have kids, i would treat them how i wanted to be treated.

my kids would love me and i know it. i would teach them everything i know in a fun and peaceful way.

i would never make the mistakes that i have seen parents make.

everyone supporting this guy is wrong. its not just my opinion, its at the point where i consider it a fact of life, deeply engraved in a diamond wall on the edge of the universe.

When you have children of your own...your opinion will be more valuable. Right now, you are projecting....not a voice of experience.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thank you!!!!!!!!

You have outdid yourself with this thread........

I read the post,grabbed my children,and said lets watch this together.Mind you,I didnt watch the video first,cause I wanted to enjoy the reaction and surprise together.We all laughed when he crumbled up the paper.....cause I said," you know hes pissed off ". Both my kids eyes were WIDE when the slugs hit the Laptop. Its not the money he spent,or the time he spent on the laptop,its all about RESPECT. I told them this man is just like me. You kids bitch,when you have it all too well. Its time parents start standing up,put some morals and convictions up their children's behinds.....

S&F

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

There is a good reason nature has adults raising children and not the other way around: the adults know how life really works, and have the patience and self-discipline to do what must be done to raise their kids... even if it means dragging them kicking and screaming in the way they need to go.

TheRedneck

our children are in charge of our future.

its up to them to change the way things are.

i do not want this trend to continue, it is bad for the evolution and advancement of the entire human race.

no lies.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

my greatest gift to them is not letting them be born in the first place, the amount of suffering on this planet is unfair.

my kids would love me and i know it. i would teach them everything i know in a fun and peaceful way.

everyone supporting this guy is wrong. its not just my opinion, its at the point where i consider it a fact of life, deeply engraved in a diamond wall on the edge of the universe.

When you have children of your own...your opinion will be more valuable. Right now, you are projecting....not a voice of experience.

dude, i WAS the kid. i have more experience than you will ever have.
edit on 11-2-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I wasn't aiming at anyone in particular, just saying..

This is a crazy mixed up world. What is right and wrong anymore? You seem to get a mixed signal from this. We all do on some level.
At least this girl has a dad who cares.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

fear monger alert. sure that'l keep em in line. good parenting.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by darkblade71

WHOA LOL.

ok i agree, we all have a different view on what is right and wrong.

but the way he did what he did, i think he just wanted revenge because he was butt hurt that she posted her opinion about him to her facebook girlfriends.

he doesn't care, with a gun like that, and bullets like that, and the bullets going into the computer like that and such....

that's the opposite of care.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
After my wife showed me last night, I laughed my butt off and told her I would kiss this guy on the mouth
. I found it a great way to express his dislike for her actions, which he had probably done numerous times in other non effective ways. I bet she gets it now.

Also, a couple of my first comments to my wife after seeing this video were:

"You know some people are going to freak out over this and claim that he's threatening his daughter or teaching her to shoot things that upset her."

"I bet some of them will advocate child services to get involved for that poor abused child."

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You may address me by Des...or Ma'am. I'm a 61 year old Woman, and Mother to a research scientist, head hunted by the NIH, who now has her own lab there......I'm NOT a dude.

Here you are, a prime example of disrespectful youngsters.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

our children are in charge of our future.

its up to them to change the way things are.

I remember a talk I had once with my son... he was talking about how he was happy we had raised him the way we did. I told him this:

"Son, my daddy raised m the best he knew how. When you and your sister came along, I remembered everything he had done, and kept most of it because it worked. The few things I thought could be improved, I tried to improve on.

"Someday, when you have kids, I want you to look back on everything I did. Some of it will be good and some will need improvement. Your job as a father is to keep what's good and what works, and to improve on what didn't work well. That's how we evolve."

Evolution of society is not a matter of doing what feels good at the time. It's all about learning what works in the long run, and doing those things that lead to success. Because even animals do what feels good at the moment.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

fear monger alert. sure that'l keep em in line. good parenting.

Why, thank you.

I will take it as a complement. My children are on the Honor roll,and will continue to be there,as long as my boot is up their collective butts. They will respect me,honor their Parents and common man,while those who have no morals and convictions,continue to teach their children NOTHING.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Results always trumps intentions.

Can't legislate common sense, can't coerce compassion, can't demand respect.

But, one can provide ample opportunities to learn the latter. If previous efforts are ineffective (i.e. groundings/removal of privileges don't work) then attempting the same type of corrective measures hoping that they will work this time is simple insanity.

If one wants different results one needs different tactics.

I just talked with my daughter (15) and one of her friends who is visiting.

My daughter thinks it was justified and that the message about respect is loud and clear. She did not think there was any implied threat in the use of the gun on the laptop. But she also said that if this girl really wants to continue Facebooking, then she would find a way by using a friend's technology (smart phone, computer).

My daughter (all of my kids actually) is always being complimented on her behavior and manners. I hear from her friends' parents that they wish their kids were as well behaved as are ours are.

Her friend thinks that this will only escalate the problem and make things worse.

My wife and I have always kept open, two way communication with our children (five of them, one of whom is autistic) as one of the highest priorities in raising them. We have always respected them and allowed them freedom to express themselves, within reason. They know full well where the line is and respect themselves enough to not resort to the types of things that this girl has done.

They also know that consequences follow unacceptable behavior and that the severity of the consequences will match the severity of the infraction.

This particular daughter had recently taken her PSATs and scored very well. So well, in fact that we have been receiving emails and letters of interest from several colleges. She will have her pick when the times come for her to make her decision.

Can't have respect without discipline.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

You may address me by Des...or Ma'am. I'm a 61 year old Woman, and Mother to a research scientist, head hunted by the NIH, who now has her own lab there......I'm NOT a dude.

wow how rude, how was i supposed to know you were a lady? your the prime example of someone with a biased and closed mind absolutely MIND BLOWN when someone says "dude" to you in a normal conversation....

i don't mean for you to be offended mam, but you should forgive me quicker.... i really can't read minds.

you know sciency stuff by the way? not to change the subject, but thats really cool.

what kind of experiments do you do? what is the NIH and are they bad? please tell me more about them.

maybe i could watch out for and avoid them, assuming they are bad dudes. ^_^

hey look, *hugs* ok.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

well i agree, for the most part.

but i half/disagree with, and counter with, to make a point....

that we should have lots of people constantly trying to make NOW better, while also saving all the good stuff from the past, and some other people to worry about the future... wait...

isn't that what the mish mosh of the world is? every subject has a few million people worrying about it each....

what if we are always supposed to argue? some strange balance that would be, but its... not exactly working, while at the same time it is.................

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

don't spank them too hard/often they might just learn to enjoy it one day

not from you of course lol, but from.... other pink butted ( as in much spanked and boot up the butted peoples)

ya never know when your gunna create a masochist or two ^_^

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

what ever happened to simply being disappointed in the poor kid?

i remember when i did something dumb or bad once, grandpa/grandma i can't remember who, was simply disappointed in me....

it hurt so much more than a belt or a bullet through my laptop.

i have much resentment from cruel mistreatment and unfair punishment from my parents. they calmed down a bit, but i can't forget, and i sleep differently now.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Why should the accomplishments of your son/daughter elevate the level of respect towards you? Perfect example of entitlement. It isn't just the youngsters that suffer from it.

Everyone is a dude.

A dude is an individual, typically male. The female equivalent, which is used less often, is "dudette" or "dudess". However, "dude" has evolved to become more unisex to encompass all genders,[3] and this was true even in the 1950s.[4]
The word dude is an American English slang term generally used informally to address or refer to somebody and was once used primarily by adults but this has become a common slang term used in various age groups.

Seems your wrong, but you think your age sets you beyond reproach. This is what children pick up on with the type of adults in the OP. Respect is mutual.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

you know sciency stuff by the way? not to change the subject, but thats really cool.

what kind of experiments do you do? what is the NIH and are they bad? please tell me more about them.

perhaps you should brush up on your reading comprehension:

originally posted by Destinyone

emphasis mine

NIH=National Institute of Health

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Not at all...my referring to my Daughter is an example of raising a child with both Love, and lessons. Lessons that give children the tools to become self reliant adults. Some of those lessons come from tough love.

You can clip and paste wiki definitions all day long.....I'm still not a dude....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join