It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to Canada?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Source

What happened to Canada? It used to be the country we would flee to if life in the United States became unpalatable. No nuclear weapons. No huge military-industrial complex. Universal health care. Funding for the arts. A good record on the environment.

But that was the old Canada. I was in Montreal on Friday and Saturday and saw the familiar and disturbing tentacles of the security and surveillance state. Canada has withdrawn from the Kyoto Accords so it can dig up the Alberta tar sands in an orgy of environmental degradation. It carried out the largest mass arrests of demonstrators in Canadian history at 2010's G-8 and G-20 meetings, rounding up more than 1,000 people. It sends undercover police into indigenous communities and activist groups and is handing out stiff prison terms to dissenters. And Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper is a diminished version of George W. Bush. He champions the rabid right wing in Israel, bows to the whims of global financiers and is a Christian fundamentalist.

The voices of dissent sound like our own. And the forms of persecution are familiar. This is not an accident. We are fighting the same corporate leviathan.

"I want to tell you that I was arrested because I am seen as a threat," Canadian activist Leah Henderson wrote to fellow dissidents before being sent to Vanier prison in Milton, Ontario, to serve a 10-month sentence.

I have this argument with many, many people.

There is no difference between the US and Canada, yes we might have an invisible line drawn between us and have different leaders but we are one in the same.

We are out and out owned by the US, they own our companies our natural resource and even our national parks. We are also very closely tied within our financial systems, and what many people forget to think about is if the US has a economic failure we do too. They are our biggest trading partner and if they are unable to buy from us, well we go downhill fast too.

As for the police state that we are becoming as well, we have sat back and watched it. The police's slogan is 'to protect and serve', but, it's not for the people anymore, it is like the US and it is to protect and serve the government and corporate America.

We have police coming in riot gear to break up peaceful protests, harming innocent people that were doing nothing illegal in the first place. Why have we let it become like this?

My thoughts are the media. Our media has been bought and paid for by the US, they make it seems like anyone that protests is against the common person and is hurting us. This is absolutely not true. We have a right to protest, this is what our generations past have fought wars over, for our freedoms, yet they silently erode and people seem to care less and less.

While there is really no difference between American and Canadian people, the US government is something that I do not want to be in control of me, and it seems within the last few decades this has happened...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Welcome? Now, let's get the resistance up and running.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Some of the policies that have passed in the last few years have made me rethink my Canadian pride.
Here are just a few examples-
Omnibus crime bill....

The omnibus legislation imposes one-year mandatory minimums for sexually assaulting a child, luring a child via the Internet or involving a child in bestiality. All three of these offences carry lighter automatic sentences than those for people running medium-sized grow-ops in rental property or on someone else's land.

G20 case reveals 'largest ever' police spy operation

"The important commonality is that these ideologies ... place these individuals and/or organizations at odds with the status quo and the current distribution of power in society."

Pretator drones patrolling canada-us-border

Armed U.S. police officers will for the first time be allowed to operate in Canada

Armed U.S. police officers will for the first time be allowed to operate in Canada along with the RCMP as part of far-reaching changes in Canadian-American border operations to be unveiled next week by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and President Barack Obama.

Canada 'extreme support' for Israel hampering peace process

Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s decision to veto any mention of Israel’s pre-1967 borders in the final G8 statement earlier this year is the clearest example of how Canada is hurting instead of helping the Middle East peace process, a senior Palestinian minister said Saturday.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Both the US and Canada are lead by the same person... entity?

And its not the so called "leaders" of our countries

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Please don’t say Canadians are the same as americans. We are not the same, that is a huge insult.
We do share some cultural similarities but we are not Americans.

What you can say is that you are more similar to Torontonians.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MomSpanker

lol he is a canadian- and he is mostly right, there are ignant americans and canadians who dont care about whats going on as long as they are entertained, and there are rural canadians and americans who are probably quite similar. And we have our governments, which, essentially are serving the same interests, not those of the people.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MomSpanker
Please don’t say Canadians are the same as americans. We are not the same, that is a huge insult.
We do share some cultural similarities but we are not Americans.

What you can say is that you are more similar to Torontonians.

I am from Calgary, and if there is one place in Canada that is out and out owned by Americans, come here.

We are oil, and the US loves oil.

Jasper nation park is becoming privatized, Banff is owned by the Sauidi's, and although Alberta provides oil throughout North America, Canada pays more than the US for gas...

You know Canadian tire? Petro Canada? Hudsons Bay Company? All owned by the US. Basically anything Canadians had to be proud of has been eroded and bought.

As said before, we have different leaders and an invisible line that divides us but we serve the same interests. And the sooner that Canadians relize this the better chance we have of fighting it, although we have let go possibly beyond the point of no return.

Remember years ago about the fact that US, Canada and Mexico were going to merge? Well that's what is happening. If the US dollar does collapse, which it seems is going to happen, we will see the merge happen as our country will be in ruins as well.

They will leave us with no choice but to join, our country will be as broke as theirs because they control us as well...

Pred...
edit on 8-2-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Yes a lot of Canadian companies have been bought but not just by American greed but from other nation.
Most of these stores now sell cheap Chinese made products, Cambodian tire especially.

This is called Globalization.

Still does not make us the same.

Go and live in the US for two or more years and you will see the difference.

Canadians are lucky, we have a great country and culture.

Sadly I would have to agree that they have taken some of our greatest things away from us and ruined it.
Our natural resources, (Hockey), Basketball and Pam Anderson

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Trudeau warned ,,1 little,,2 little,,3,,,CANADIANS,,
way back when,,
Sixty Year Old Swead More Healthy than averg.
30 yr old Canadian,,
And,,
'Trudeau gives finger too Alberta,," ,,creates PETRO CANADA, too fight the BIG OIL COMP.

Yaa,,, Petro Canada,,
a canadian owned company ,,,
for canadian interests in the canadian oilsands in a canadian province, run by an American Conglomerate.

(did anyone ever recieve any dividends from that?,,anyone???)

And why am i paying,,, for a ,,Stock Market Commodity,, HOME Heating Oil,,
1.01 per Litre PLUS a 15% TAX on a NECCESITY,, not a COMMODITY,,
in a Country that has been pumping Oil Revenue Dollars INTO this Country,,,

since,,,, Rockefeller was FORCED too DEREGULATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J.P MORGAN ,,,FORCED too DEREGULATE!!!!!!!!!!
Randolf HEARST,,,FORCED too DEREGULATE!!!!!!!!!!
HUGHES American Airlines,,,FORCED too DEREGULATE!!!!!!!!!!

Actually it was possable too back then,,,FORCED too DEREGULATE,,,

I wonder if anything like that is possable in Canada,, ?

ohhh
here

www.youtube.com...

ya lol like that is going too happen again,,,

Me.

Warning must be old too watch the following,,

www.youtube.com...

yea Canada.

Me.

edit on 9-2-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

join