It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona weather out of whack....seems like it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ive lived in Arizona, namely the east valley area of Mesa and Gilbert for about 14 years now. This winter has been almost non-existant. This January was our 3rd driest and warmest on record. Normally our temps should be averaging at a high of 52 degress F. This past January we were in the upper high 70s.

What really trips me out is that the sunset and sinrise times are way off. Normally this time of year the sun sets around 5:45pm. As of lately the sun is setting completely around 7pm. Others I have talked with have noticed this as well.

Personally, Im a huge believer in the idea that the poles are moving too fast. Anyone else in AZ see the differences this year?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by molonlabe

Would a pole shift really affect the sunset? I monitor this stuff pretty well, and at least in South Carolina the sun is right on schedule. I will say though, it's been warm here. We settled in the middle 70's today, which isn't unheard of, but it's definitely not my idea about what winter should be like!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm not sure what you mean by "setting completely" but according to this the Sun sets (last part below the horizon, assuming nothing obstructing the horizon) at 6:00. It should be getting completely dark at about 7:30.
www.timeanddate.com...

It's rising and setting at the correct times where I live.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Molon,

I live near Nogales and I agree about the weather but there seems to be no difference in sunrise/sunset for this time of year.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yup, almost non-existent. (north phoenix)

Usually my bedroom is uber cold in the winter and I need a minimum of two heavy blankets plus my partners body heat,,, so far I can sleep all night with no covers and remain warm.
I've talked to people out of state and they say weather's been about normal for them this go around so

edit on 2-2-2012 by WaffleBear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If the Sun was rising and setting at different times then it should you would definitely hear about it on the news.

It has been an unusual winter though.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
In Cali the only thing I've noticed is this weird non-existant winter and the sky hasn't been as dark as it usually is no matter what time of night. It's kind of weird actually.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Finally someone saw this. take a good look, don´t just check the internet or news, see it for yourself. the sunrise/down are kind of wierd, i´ve noticed this too, for this time of year it´d be exactly the times you said, something is not quite right. i would even go to say that it´s not the same every day, obviously the earth is moving and all that.but some days sundown is earlier than others, varying for the past months.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar

Would a pole shift really affect the sunset? I monitor this stuff pretty well, and at least in South Carolina the sun is right on schedule. I will say though, it's been warm here. We settled in the middle 70's today, which isn't unheard of, but it's definitely not my idea about what winter should be like!

I believe it would because the poles are the earths axis points..so it should rotate differently, changing the sun pattern for a given area.

So i just got home now and there is still light outside. Mind you the sun has set there is still light. I know that is normal but what im saying is that the sun set later than usual for this time of year. When getting into my car at 6pm it is normally dark.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
another thing... Whats with the earthquakes last year? There was one just the other day. A 2.6 mind you, but its funny cause thats why my family moved us out here from CA. Now AZ is having them too!

ha the irony

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by molonlabe

Originally posted by Mapkar

I believe it would because the poles are the earths axis points..so it should rotate differently, changing the sun pattern for a given area.

So i just got home now and there is still light outside. Mind you the sun has set there is still light. I know that is normal but what im saying is that the sun set later than usual for this time of year. When getting into my car at 6pm it is normally dark.

It depends on what you mean by "pole shift". When most people on here are talking about pole shifts they're referring to magnetic pole shifts. The magnetic pole is moving every day, and its movement does not affect the sun setting and rising times.

I'm not willing to accept that the sun is setting later than usual based on some peoples vague observations. If the sun was setting earlier, it would be a global phenomenon that would have far reaching implications. If the Earth's rotation had changed, it would have global effects on star positioning, moon positioning and tides. If this was in fact the case, I think there would be a lot more evidence than a few peoples random observations. And where I am, the sun seems to be exactly where it should be.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

At 6:00pm the Sun has just set.
www.timeanddate.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
As a fellow Arizona resident, I have to agree. This has been the shortest winter I've ever experienced.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yea ^ def. It feels like the sunset/rise and temp changed together honestly. Ive been wearing shorts all year. I have a bad feeling that this will be the worst summer on record.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Have any of you thought to consider that your perception of sunset times may have changed, rather than the actual sunset times?

The reason I ask is that there are many factors that can influence your perception of sunset times. For instance, if it is cloudy or raining, the sky would be dark close to the time of sunset. Yet if it is sunny, the sky can stay bright for a considerable time after the sun has set, making it seem as if the sun is setting later. Also, if you are spending more time outside (maybe because it's warm?) then you will likely notice the sky staying light later than if you were staying indoors.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
yea i suppose always a possibility. although i say its weird that it hasnt been that cold I actually do like since I can be outdoors more often.

top topics

join