It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have tips on Photographing cryptids?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hi,
I just got a wicked nice new camera, and want to start photographing nature, preferably cryptid animals (like atmosphere animals bigfoor etc) Do you have any tips for me? Have you gotten pictures of such things?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seanwalsh
Hi,
I just got a wicked nice new camera, and want to start photographing nature, preferably cryptid animals (like atmosphere animals bigfoor etc) Do you have any tips for me? Have you gotten pictures of such things?

You want advise on how to take a picture of big foot?
If there were pictures of such things we wouldn't have the blurred suggestible photos of yeti's that are already posted.

I guess the best advise I can give is point and shoot and run like hell, bob and weave as big foot might not like the paparazzi.
edit on 23-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Im wicked bored and theres a forest behind my home haha

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
See how far you can zoom in on an insect or other thing
Ive seen some pretty cool pics from some pretty bored peeps

I've never seen a cryptid in person, just some photographic depictions that may or may not be real, so I don't know how.

One bit of advice is to get the non scented soap and wash your clothes (and yourself) with some non scented soap, hunters do that to help from being detected.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
First of all your going to need some old fur coats , some sticky back plastic and some friends you can trust to keep your secrets and maybe see if this guy has any other tips HOAXER Or if you want some potentially real cryptid pics become a reclusive naturalist and spend the rest of your life in inhospitable remote areas and never let your battery's run out.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Seanwalsh

Ok, I'm not sure that this will help you snap pics of cryptids, but being that I've always wanted to do it myself, here is what I would do if I were you.

Find you a place in the woods. Make sure you've washed yourself and clothing with that scent killing stuff that another poster mentioned. You can even get deodorant like that now. Get you a ghillie suite and hide out! Cover up with leaves or whatever. Then just have a whole lot of patience and lay there and wait. Bait might be good, but I don't know what to suggest. I saw somewhere that Bigfoot likes sardines. Seriously, I have no idea how anybody determined this, but it's what I read, lol. Laugh at that if you will. I did.
Oh, supposedly, Bigfoot also likes garlic. Besides that, be really still and really quiet and make sure somebody knows where you are in case you go missing!

I'm not a hunter at all. I'm a girl, and I hate hunting... for the sport of it anyway. I suppose it's fine when you have to eat, but I'm getting off topic. What I was getting at was I got a trail cam just so I could put it up in the woods and look for cryptids. People thought I was nuts because around here, people use them ONLY for hunting, but that's not why I wanted it. So far, I've gotten lots of pics of deer, rabbits, a possum, a dog, a cat, a squirrel and some kind of cat looking thing that may be a cryptid but probably isn't, lol. Anyway, you may want to get some of those cameras too. Wouldn't be something you could do with your new camera but there would still be a camera there when you're not.

So there are my tips. You can take them with a grain of salt, being that I'm new at cryptid hunting and haven't actually gotten a pic of one yet (except maybe that cat looking thing) but that's what I would do if it were me.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Well.stay calm when you see something.
and point and click.
mind if i ask what kind of camera it is?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I just got a wicked nice new camera, and want to start photographing nature, preferably cryptid animals (like atmosphere animals bigfoot etc) Do you have any tips for me? Have you gotten pictures of such things?

1. Spend as much time as possible out in the wilderness.
2. Always carry your fancy camera and be ready to shoot at a moment's notice.
3. Get real lucky.

And as long as you're at it, even though there may be laws against it, you might want to have a gun ready and kill it. Pictures don't prove jack squat.

But hey, the folks at BFRO seem to think there's a Bigfoot behind every tree, so killing one might not be as bad as it sounds.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It seems to me that most of our best (relatively speaking) evidence for cryptids is accidental. Even when they have loads of equipment and a film crew, the people who go out deliberately looking never seem to find much. I like to watch shows like Destination Truth and MonsterQuest, but my husband has commented several times that he wished he could find a job where he would get paid for never actually accomplishing what he's supposed to be doing.

The best Sasquatch sighting I've heard is one where a lady walked around the side of her trailer to see what her dog was barking at and came face to face with a gray/white Sasquatch rummaging through her trash can. Then they both (she and the creature) ran away in opposite directions screaming while the dog tried to decide which one to chase. Why do I think that's the best? Because it's the sort of thing that actually happens with known animals.

In over 40 years of outdoor hiking and activities, I'd never seen a live bobcat or a live armadillo (or anything really, except squirrels, deer, and birds). But after I moved to the country and got some chickens, I've seen all sorts of wild animals!

But when a coyote took my best rooster not 10 feet from the big windows in the living room, I couldn't get the camera in time. When a bobcat showed up under my bird feeding tree, I did manage to get a few shots but they're all blurry and, if a bobcat were a cryptid, they wouldn't be very good evidence. Then an armadillo showed up one night digging around the fenced back yard, totally ignoring both my 3 large dogs who were barking themselves hoarse, and me, as long as we stayed inside the fence. I took about 20 pictures of that armadillo, and none of them turned out very well.

If you're wondering where I was going with all that, it's to say this:

1) Get used to keeping that camera within arm's reach at all times as if it were part of you, like your cell phone. If you live close to a large forest, Bigfoot showing up while you're on the toilet is just as likely (perhaps more likely, actually) as him showing himself while you're out looking for him.

2) Practice going out into the woods and getting pictures of real animals. Deer, coyote, bobcats, raccoons, and other animals are quite shy of humans (unless they live in suburbia) and can usually sense you long before you see them. If you get good enough to get some good pictures of wildlife, you'll be more likely to get a decent picture of a cryptid if there is one around.

3) Enlist help from a friend and ask them to surprise you while you're out walking. Practice being able to stay calm and steady and take a picture of the thing (presumably your cohort most of the time) which has startled you. When you can get a decent portrait of your friend after he's just jumped out from behind a tree and screamed, you might be ready to capture something that's startling and/or scary for real.

And finally, "hunting" for cryptids with a camera is in some respects not all that different from hunting animals with a gun. You're much more likely to succeed if you can become part of the scenery than when you're out traipsing around making lots of noise and being highly visible from a distance (because you're moving). Getting a blind and leaving it sitting out near game trails, or finding a good tree to sit up in and be quiet for (literally) hours, is more likely to lead to success than hours of walking around looking for things.

Good luck, and have fun.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Let's hope Bigfoot wont be taking any shoots of you..

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhott
It seems to me that most of our best (relatively speaking) evidence for cryptids is accidental. Even when they have loads of equipment and a film crew, the people who go out deliberately looking never seem to find much.

It seems unlikely that a stealthy, highly-skilled and motivated team of Army Ranger level trackers with dogs couldn't find a 9-foot tall hairy Bigfoot stomping around the woods no matter how good it is at hiding. They're not the ones looking, though.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It would be easier if I knew what type of camera you have but here are a few tips...

If you can change the lens on your camera practice doing this quickly, repeatedly like you are in a hurry. You almost never have the right lens on when some animal comes strolling down the trail.

If your camera has a video feature practice, practice, practice taking non jumpy video. I do this all the time and was rewarded by being able to film elk in 18 degree temps with almost no movement of the camera. You can actually hear my teeth chattering on the video but I was able to get a pretty steady film! :-)

Practice being able to change the settings of your camera by feel rather than vision. Sometimes you do not want to lose sight of what you're shooting even for moment.

If your camera makes noise when you change the settings see if you can turn that feature off. Nothing like stealthy tracking of your subject only to have it hear the darn chime when you change settings...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I have seen a skunk ape 6 years ago.(before that I was extremely skeptical)We headed west on Kings HWY17 towards Arcadia,took a left on Environmental Lab Rd.It goes to the left at the end,across a deepy creepy swamp with some very large cypress trees and dead ends at someones property with a fence and a lot of mean looking dogs..It was on the road and we scared it into the water.It hid behind a cypress tree for a long time and the birds were freaking out an alert.If you Google Earth the region you can see that it's habitat is strictly confined by orange groves and other farmland.I would suggest a motion sensor camera.All the rednecks are using them to see the deer at their feeders so they must be cheap by now.A skunk ape is a smaller southern version of Sassy.They smell foul reportedly,although we did not smell anything.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JulianAlien

I forgot to mention that is in S.W.Florida,but google Kings HWY17,map and it should take you there.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Hi,

Yeah. Don't bother with bigfoot or any lake monsters. While there might really be a lake monster somewhere, anyone who has common sense, reason and logic on their side will understand immediately why the whole bigfoot thing is a joke. I actually feel sorry for those that are too ignorant to understand how I can say that with so much conviction.

Oh, and don't bother with UFO's too, as many have tried before you, and they have come up with total bs. The chance that the phenom is real and YOU will capture the photo that proves it flies in the face of the last half century of photos....but hey....you might be the one, lol.

join