It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have another technical question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I'm probably not going to get the service. I'm just curious what is this 3g and 4g business they're always advertising what is the difference besides probably being charged more for 4g than 3g. Have very basic computer skills and simple Windows 7 starter so just curious.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned, 3g and 4g for the most part does not mean squat.
It is mostly a marketing ploy. There are some technical specs to it but it is more hype than anything.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
do you mean 3rd generation as in mobile phones?if so 3g has been on the go for years.4g is faster,but new so hasn't been implemented by most providers yet.(don't know of any in u.k. yet)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
3g is 3rd generation, faster speeds, compared to older architecture 2g, or EDGE, iDEN, WiDEN, GSM, etc which cingular used EDGE as the new cutting edge tech to acheive better than dial up speeds for early adopters of cellular internet.

Newer 4g technology deployed by AT&T and Verizon called LTE is a scalable architecture can get cable speeds depending what feeds the cell towers.

T-Mobile deployed HSPA+ which can supposedly get 84mbps, but realisticly gets about 10mbps down and 2mbps up, again depending on what feeds the towers.

The company I work for feeds multipule T1's and does the transport for cingular (AT&T) and typically its 2 or 3 bonded t1's that feeds a cell tower (1x t1= 1.544mbps) so the bandwidth is usually limited anyway.

Verizon is assisting AT&T in building their cell sites by delivering higher capacity fiber rings to the cell sites in the north east (competitor baby bells helping each other) Which is damn cool, because that means the future is bright as far as whats down the pipeline.

These cell companies sell space, bandwidth and usage of towers, thats why you see companies like Cricket, Virgin mobile, and other pre-paid services. Because they jump on other carriers cell sites and give the carrier a tariff or comission for the traffic that passes through their sites.

2g = painfully slow, 3g = decent usable speeds, 4g = comparable to cable internet at home in some cases.

Hope that was helpful

edit on 23-1-2012 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join