It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eastern Canada is Waking up to the Dangers of Fracking

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This article came to my attention this morning. I never knew that Eastern Canada, especially the Maritimes, were rich in gas. I was aware of deposits off of the coast of certain areas but never knew about the inland deposits that have been found.

It turns out that a lot of the stuff we have been talking about on ATS lately has been happening to them. There are even reports of their drinking water catching fire due to contamination. That sounds pretty bad.

Thankfully the locals are taking a stand.

Maritime communities rally against shale gas fracking

Fears of water contamination and environmental damage are fuelling backlash against a controversial gas-drilling method in the Maritimes.

Energy companies in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are using hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, to access natural gas deposits deep underground. The process involves drilling wells through shale and then blasting a mixture of water, sand and chemicals into the rock. The resulting pressure fractures the formations, releasing the trapped gas.

Critics say fracking damages the soil, potentially causing small earthquakes. Many also fear the chemicals used in the process will poison drinking water. That some New Brunswick residents living near fracking sites have been able to light their tap water on fire hasn't helped.

Here is a Canadian organization who put together a message against fracking:

No Fracking Way!

Some people say contamination is also happening in Alberta:

essica Ernst is a biologist who worked as an environmental consultant to the oil and gas industry. For the last 10 years she's been fighting a legal battle over her own water supply. She's launched a 33 million dollar lawsuit naming the gas company Encana, the Alberta government and the province's energy regulator. She claims that hydraulic fracking near her home in Rosebud contaminated her water and she's in the province sharing her experience.

Audio file available at the link

www.cbc.ca...

And of course we have our own corporations who are claiming fracking isn't dangerous and that the claims about contaminated ground water are unjust.

Encana questions fracking findings in U.S.

Safe huh? Tell that to these people!

There have been plenty of threads on here that discuss the evidence on the dangers of Fracking so I'm not going to get into too much of the science of it in my OP. If anyone would like to share some science in their opinion that's totally fine with me.

I'm just happy to see Easterners stand up for what's right, they might have a funny accent, but they sure put up a good fight

edit on 8-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: add vid

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Im from Nova Scotia,
And i didn't hear about this until recently, and it actually made me pretty mad. It kind of explains the small quakes we've been getting in the area (really small, not noticeable to anyone, only if your looking for it).

We also have flouride in the water, along with other metals and crap. The water here sucks, this just adds to the crap in said water. Glad you brought this here.

The local Occupy movement also has talks about it, and does some stuff around the area about it as well.

Anyone get the smell of sulfur when they turn their bathroom sink on sometimes?
edit on 8/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I have familiy in NB and never heard of this at all.

Do you know how often you can feel the quakes?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Scientist in N.B. to tell hydro-fracking story www.cbc.ca...
It is a bad thing op and we really need to put a moritum on the process ...Oh and if you read the comments you wont notice any funny accent unless you are talking about our Nufi Brethren ...peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I have familiy in NB and never heard of this at all.

Do you know how often you can feel the quakes?

The quakes are really low magnitude, so people cannot feel them. I ssee them on the canada earthquakes webpage sometimes

Newfie

edit on 8/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'm not a Newfie!

I think I'm going to check out the activity in the area.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's all over the news up here in Canada,I watched it last night and I actually saw a guy light his water tap on fire. Yes fracking should be a hot issue as I believe it can cause earthquakes as well, not to mention what is happening to groundwater. S&F for you keep up the message

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
When we have to Pay for CLEAN drinking water to be deliverd to your door.
Then the people will start to see what ATS sees.
But it will be to late. as all the animals die off.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Keep an eye out, they're not big
But some ancient fault lines do go through nova scotia, theres a particular one that would split NS in half if it cracked open. But they are long dead.

Im not too worried about quakes here, you might not find any at all, once in a blue moon.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DaarkSyde2012

I was aware of the water contamination fracking causes, I even authored a thread on it, but I never knew about the water lighting on fire. I'm going to try and find a video of it. Sadly, even though I pay an arm and a leg for cable, I don't watch much news. I just check certain sites once in a while.

Thanks for letting me know, it seems I've been asleep the last couple days to not have notices this.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Here is a lady from Alberta who's tap water catches fire:

Pretty scary stuff, I wouldn't want to drink that

I added the vid to my OP too.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Awesome find! S&F.

I can't believe people are allowed to crack the Earth open to make a few dollars. What do you think people from a hundred or a thousand years ago would've said if we told them about this? I can't believe it at all.

Smart Guy-->Our technology is so great we don't have to worry about renewable energy anymore!
Dumb Idiot-->We can't just hand that stuff out, who cares if the universe gave it to us all. Giving things away doesn't make a profit. I heard solar energy is bad for you, only conspiracy theorist think it's a good idea.
Smart Guy-->We should let go of dangerous, and polluting energy. We have so many other safe, and renewable energy capabilities.
Dumb Guy-->It's all about profit. I'm so old, I don't care if I split the Earth in half. Heck giggy giggy, I own all the insurance companies, dahe, and my house is made to withstand Earthquakes.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Your satire conversation is bang on.

The rich corporate elite look at it from that exact point of view.

Any obstacles can be paid off so they sleep very good at night.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

That was the main reason I replied to your thread.I saw it on CTV up here and when the guy turned the water on he put a lighter up to the flowing water and it pretty much flashed then you could see the fire. I wish I could find the video for you but I know it is out there.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I have a CTV video of a lady who has well water so contaminated that it lights on fire when put near a flame. It's in this thread if you want to watch it.

Please share though if you find any other videos.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Here, I found the three part series I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about or not. Part two seems to be missing, I will edit if I find it:

I'm still interested in the other video you saw if you can find it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

This stuff is the new gold rush for sure! I have seen the practice up close and realized that many of the reported rumbling noises abroad are a result of this practice. The swooshing sound is very distinguishable, as is the jetting sound of pressure released.

Who'da thought injecting chemicals 10,000 feet down could cause such problems?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Sulfur is a natural element in many drinking water supplies.

To all: We don't need no stinking fracking! The energy We need is all around Us. They hide and suppress this fact though.

For more information, see My thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Wow, thanks for sharing.

That is the first time I see those videos.

I guess it takes a genius to figure out injecting chemicals into the earth is bad.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

My mother was from Nova Scotia, been down quite a few times. What part you from?. She came from Gaspereau, so I know that area quite well. I am up here in Ontario, and my dads water is awful smelling, like rotten eggs, and I know we are maybe 2 miles from a fault line, Ottawa Valley. Anyway I digress. Fracking does cause major earth disruptions, just look at Oklahoma and Arkansas, small quakes I know but probably from fracking as well. Just what the heck is going on? Are they trying to create a global earthquake by weakening old and ancient fault lines?
This is not good at all IMO

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join