It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons Alive and well, New business name "The Mens Shed" In Australia, Possible connection?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Okay,

My very first thread.

It's not Nailbiting stuff but a curiousity to me none the less.

This may take a bit of explaining, but maybe there will be some ideas thrown my way to make this make more sense. I'll try to keep it sharp and to the point.

I live in a small rural community.

Australia

New South Wales Country Area

The Short History MASONS in My Local Area

Masonic Lodge Founded in 1889 by memory. Was formed by 5 local families who discovered copper here and made a very tidy fortune and laid claim to the town. It grew, but it seems it was never open to more than just 5 or 6 local families and there very close friends.

There actual history is blank, the only people who talk about it here are the woman, and they said there glad "all that secret mens business was over"

In about 1980, the last meeting of the local Masonic Lodge took place and the members appeared to go there seperate ways and then there was no mention of them throughout my childhood, didn't really here about them anywhere until I started looking into Freemasons and the Illuminati and all that once I got to about 16.

Anyway, Through converstions in my Adult life, it became aparent that maybe it hadn't gone away, that it was just out of sight.

One of my closest friends, mentioned being invited into the lodge, and he declined, also his brother in law and about three other people connected in someway to My home town and families that lived here and had for as long as I had known.

This got me to doing a little digging.

And as I dug, I discovered alot of parrallels between the old Masons, and a new organisation that had popped up

"The Mens Shed"

The Mens Shed

All nice and sparkly and happy faces and all.

Currently recruiting men through this site :

The Shed Online

However I've noticed locally that it's almost "Secret mens Business" but not for all the men, it's like there are normal Members then there are the Super Members, the ones who seem to pull the strings and hold the meetings.

Now I'm not saying this is a national thing... Just want some thoughts on correlations between the old lodge and this new "Shed".

Scottish Masons and Connection with The Shed as a name

A meeting of Squaremen is called a SHED, as opposed to a Masonic Lodge, and a Grand Shed was formed to oversee the Order.[

A loose tie, but a connection to the term "Shed" associated with Scotish Masons

and with a quick search of google.

Google Results of Donations and Connections to Lodges

(I'm not going to link individual search results)

Theres plenty of evidence there sugesting the "public" Masons are supporting the new "Mens Shed" Idea, be it openly.

Anyway, I just thought others May know something about it, a connection, good or bad.

I'm yet to discover the local group doing anything Untoward or Cultish, but I tell you what when you drop in un annouced up there. Pin drop and all eyes on you, then as you leave they start chattering away.

And it Appears from what I know of the locals that the Super Members are from all the Old Mason Families.(and I was Born and Dragged up Here so I know most of the history)

I really like the community, health and well-being side of the idea, but here especially one of the SUPER Members has managed to almost take complete control of the organisation, and implement his own agenda.

Maybe nothing just found it Curious.

Let me know what your thoughts are? or Connections? Maybe your a member of your mens shed.... Shed Some light on it for me .. .
pun intended.

Thanks for looking.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
hi there i live near Rochester in victoria we were painting a new wing at the hospital and right there the mens shed they were busy making tables and other such things for the community all were retirees i did not see nor hear anything untoward we had numerous discussions on the mens shed idea all seemed quite amiable

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by alexs

That's the essential feeling I get here to. Just co-incidence I guess.

Anyone else have personal experiences?

edit on 22-12-2011 by nawki because: Added Question

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It looks like the Shed may be a masonic side order. There are many of them. Some of them are sanctioned by masonry, and some are not, but they use masonic membership as a prerequisite. The lodge in your town may have lost membership to the point of closing it's doors. The men who are still around would go to another lodge.
I invite you to study a bit about what masonry really is. It's a path to living a better life through God's word. But it's not a religion. If you want to know, just ask.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The mens shed is a good idea and they're cropping up everywhere. They're good for the older blokes as well as the younger ones and particularly for the blokes who live in a house with the wife and a tribe of girls.

In fact if places like this weren't around then that time would likely be spent at the pub.

There's nothing going on other then blokes getting to have some shed time because theirs was pulled down to make way for the rose garden.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Probably just men having hot ones and cold ones ,talking crap and getting away from their nagging wives .
in the guise of talking about their feelings. Maybe some evil plans being hatched as well

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

That would make sense.

Like a branch.

Just puzzles me why, the Older lodge members, still won't talk openly about what the Lodge was, did and how it fitted into things. Locally I mean.

Secrecy creates suspicion. It's a pity, because I think transparency is much easier for most people to accept and that goes for most things. Government, business etc.

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

yes i get the point about men sharing a cold one as i sit here in the METALshed as it has been named i find this place to be a refuge for males and females who just want to kick back and have discussions on all sorts of topics the girls call this place the man cave ha ha the children learn a lot about world events here that they dont get taught in school + good music of all descriptions jazz metal goth blues etc all the best to shed people male and female

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nawki
reply to post by network dude

That would make sense.

Like a branch.

Just puzzles me why, the Older lodge members, still won't talk openly about what the Lodge was, did and how it fitted into things. Locally I mean.

Secrecy creates suspicion. It's a pity, because I think transparency is much easier for most people to accept and that goes for most things. Government, business etc.

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

The few secrets that actually exist are there for a reason. Everything teaches a lesson. But all of them can be found with a google attempt.

Have a great day.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
As a young girl I would literally walk in my pops footsteps, I followed him everywhere doing this, and I often found myself in the garage, a wall full of tools, long tables with vice grips and wood blocks and such.

I helped hammer and nail strips of wood, he would mark it with a pencil that he took out of his overalls pocket, and he’d say to me,” hit it there mate” and I would. And before long I found myself stirring paint and brushing the new trellis for the garden a lovely glossy white.

The next morning and still following his footsteps, we headed back down to the shed and back out again to put the trellis in the garden. “So what will we do today mate?” .

Well over the times spent following his footsteps we build bird house, dolls houses, cloths horses, building blocks, jigsaw puzzles, pot plants, rocking horses, book shelves, yes for all those wonderful little golden books he would read to me every night. The list goes on and on.

So… back on topic. I don’t care what they call this shed; I just hope all the pops out there that don’t have their own shed hold onto their grandchildren’s hand and do the same that my best mate did for me.

Me being creative in my pops shed

im sure i'm helping

Following behind my pop, walking in his footsteps, stride by stride. i miss you poppy.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

That's a nice Story.

And I believe that is mostly what this would be about, Just community, Pops helping pops, and passing on old stories and the like.

I just find it interesting how deep the Masons penetrate still into our everyday lives. I really am starting to think that maybe all the Rumours just comes from a small element of the concept as peoples way of reacting to something they don't understand.

Thanks again for the positive spin.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nawki

I just clicked more around on their site. Women can go to these sheds too.

Anyway it’s a brilliant idea. My husband’s grandfather could benefit from this, since his wife passed he has sold his home and moved into a small flat, he doesn’t get out much and is in a very sad depressed way.
I’m going to send this off to my father in law and hopefully he will get him to a shed and back to working with his hands and having a yarn with all the other blokes, I really think this will help a lot of mature people in his condition.

I don’t really see anything suspicious about this though, sorry

The Association was auspiced by Catholic Care Newcastle and has been strongly supported collaboratively by Uniting Care North Sydney, Beyondblue and Mensline through the ever increasing number of developing Mens Sheds the Australian Men's Shed Association developed into the Peak body representing and supporting Men's Sheds in Australia, a model which is now being replicated internationally.

i just see a lot of dogooders doing good

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

That made me cry, I remember my pops shed too. He used to make flys so he had model paints etc, we made a wooden cat complete with sail together, best memory I've got of him.

It does help all men, from the stories I've heard and if it's to get away from their sheilas for a bit that's good for her too

I would never take my husbands shed away from him, his spirit would be broken.

Hugs for you for haring your story and photos.
A

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
The mens shed is a good idea and they're cropping up everywhere.

Evil always presents itself as good.

As usual, those members at the bottom won't have a clue what those at the top are up to, so it's useless asking them. And those at the top won't tell.

You're right on the money, OP. I spent years studying and collecting government and corporate logos that use ancient symbols. The pyramid is a favourite of the elite.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Any insights you could offer?

I'm having trouble working out what could be there "ulterior motives", My old man is one of the "regulars" but he quit after a lot of bickering among the super members, about who should be boss.

Might just be my community has a few arrogant ar*#s in it... and don't know how to get along.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nawki

Masonry is still going strong in NSW, just maybe not in your particular rural area. Check here for a lodge locator...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Mens shed it has ties with the beyond blue foundation. No ties with free masons.

Don't know if you have noticed but Free Masons in Australia are like Lions Club except they do not brag, about the stuff they do for their community.

They aren't that secretive in Tasmania if they have a website.

www.freemasonrytasmania.org...

Is beer and sars a typical free mason drink?

new topics

top topics

join