It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CreativeAmerica launches new TV ad campaign promoting the Stop Piracy and Protect IP bills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I was just watching CNN and was disgusted when I saw an ad promoting the tyrannical Stop Piracy and Protect IP bills. I went online and dug up the ad and found more info on it. Apparently CreativeAmerica (website link) is an anti-piracy organization recently launched to push for tougher piracy laws. I couldn't find much more info on them other than their site.

Without further ado, here is the ad in question. It was originally on Vimeo (link), but I recorded it and put it on YouTube so I could embed it here.

Ugh, it just disgusts me watching it again. They might have good intentions, but neglect to mention the part that the act could be used to effectively censor the Internet. More info breaking down the alleged facts to the script are here and posted below.

"DOWNLOADING JOBS"
The Script: "They're stealing American jobs. Internet criminals, using illegal foreign websites."
The Facts: More than 10.6 million people are employed in copyright industries. This means about one in ten private sector American workers depend on intellectual property for their jobs, retirement income and other benefits. [International Intellectual Property Alliance, press release, 11/2/11]
A 2007 study found that the theft of movies, music, packaged software and video games alone translates into 373,000 foregone jobs and $58 billion in lost economic output annually. [Stephen E. Siwek, "The True Cost Of Copyright Industry Piracy To The U.S. Economy," for The Institute For Policy Innovation, October 2007]

The Script: "They traffic in phony medications. Dangerous counterfeit goods and unsafe products."
The Facts: "'Make no mistake: [intellectual property] crimes are anything but victimless,' [Attorney General Eric] Holder said. 'For far too long, the sale of counterfeit, defective, and dangerous goods has been perceived as 'business as usual.' But these and other IP crimes can destroy jobs, suppress innovation, and jeopardize the health and safety of consumers. In some cases, these activities are used to fund dangerous – and even violent – criminal enterprises and organized crime networks. And they present a significant – and growing – threat to our nation's economic and national security.'" [The Hill, 11/29/11]

"Tainted medications from illegal online drug sellers have been found to contain dangerously high levels of arsenic, tin, aluminum and even rat poison." [Washington Times, Libby Baney op-ed, 11/10/11]
In March, the Senate Armed Services Committee began an investigation into the defense supply chain—including defense contractors and subcontractors—about the unknowing purchase of counterfeit components for such things as aircraft and missile systems, often through the Internet. So far, it has found over 1 million suspect counterfeit electronic parts that were purchased. More than 70% of the counterfeit parts originated in China. [Office of Senator Carl Levin, 11/7/11]

The Script: "Stolen movies, TV shows and music. They're stealing American ideas and innovation. And hundreds of thousands of American jobs."
The Facts: Over 2.2 million Americans are employed as a result of film and television production. Those jobs result in $137 billion dollars in wages to hard working, mostly middle class men and women each year.
A 2007 study found that the theft of movies, music, packaged software and video games alone translates into 373,000 foregone jobs and $58 billion in lost economic output annually. [Stephen E. Siwek, "The True Cost Of Copyright Industry Piracy To The U.S. Economy," for The Institute For Policy Innovation, October 2007]

The Script: "But we can stop them. Tell Congress to stop online piracy." Onscreen: "Support the Protect IP Act and the Stop Online Piracy Act."
The Facts: The Stop Online Piracy Act (H.R.3261) in the House and the PROTECT IP Act (S.968) in the Senate provide measured, needed tools to go after criminals, will preserve millions of American jobs and promote innovation and commerce on the Internet.

The acts are flawed. I realize they might be trying to stop piracy and I admire that. But the act could easily be abused and the fact that they're using fear to play on people in this ad (and there will be more coming) doesn't make me want to jump on their bandwagon. I don't know why this is, but there's something sinister about that bill and I get creeped out whenever I hear about it
edit on 7-12-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There is one thing i never got about internet piracy and how the laws are enforced. Take the pirate bay, you have a site that really just hosts files that give digital directions to where the file that is wanted is and is not.
Then you have youtube which actually hosts copyrighted materials.
People go after the pirate bay in court but for some reason when it comes to youtube the up loader is suddenly the only responsible one. Same thing with the illegal movie sights.
Im not saying X gets away with it so Y should, i am against piracy. But if you are going to have a laws at least enforce them evenly.
The internet needs to become regulated but not like this

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Allot of company's likes piracy, it gives their products more exposer. I forgot witch company it was but a big game making company said that they like the piracy because it gives their product more exposer, more people are buying because of that small percentage of pirates makes it more popular. Its not like those pirates would have gone out and bought the movie, or went to a theater to see it. Its just downloaded because it can be. Allot of company's spend money on piracy protection but it does not help, they lose money by trying to stop it.

I think in order for piracy to completely stop they will have re-regulate the whole internet, millions of websites will have to change to fit into these regulations. I think their will all ways be a way to pirate and they cannot stop it just like the war on drugs. It seems as if we are heading in that direction with piracy. The internet should be left as is. The internet should be %100 free. The worlds information, its a powerful tool, look how its shaped the earth. The internet has shaped this world more in the past 23 years then in all of tv history. Its a link to a little bit of every ones mind. Dont you see the propaganda, crap like this

www.youtube.com...

edit on 7-12-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

I've heard that too. I know a lot of people who pirate content and what they do is that they pirate it, whether it's a game, tv show, or movie. They use it, then if they like it, they buy the product to support the developers or movie studio.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

The situation as I understand it (at the moment) is that both youtube and torrent sites should be treated with equal measure under the safe harbour rules of the digital millennium act, those rules give internet sites and service providers some protection and enable sites like youtube to operate.
It basically states that as long as you take copyrighted material down when you receive a take down notice from the copyright holder then you are protected from legal action.
There is no law that says you have to actively monitor your site for copyrighted material..

Site like thepiratebay don't take content down when they receive such notices (as far as I know). You do also see other torrent site that do indeed remove material when asked, The reason I suspect that legale threats are made against them is just down to "legal bullying" and copyright holders knowing that most torrent site owners don't have the money to fight them in court (not the case with youtube)

Part of the new law that is talked about in the OP removes the safe harbour protection and seeks to

It would also make unauthorized media streaming an act of felony and hold the web publishers and hosting services responsible for curbing their users from posting copyright-infringed content.

I seriously doubt that site like youtube could exist if the law was introduced

The current US law
The new proposed laws

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This is Hollywood and the Music industry driving this crap.

Hollywood films outside of the US, outsources editing and DVD creation. Where is the IP that is helping the USA and its citizens?

Tax breaks for companies that move jobs oversees and the same greedy bastards want to prevent people from using the same technology they will steal and monetize in the future.

I love how these crooks call anyone a pirate.

If the internet had a Jolly Roger, i'd tattoo it on the same mast i'd smack these greedy criminals with.

join